Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I am so exited - getting my mini poo this coming Sunday. The boy on the left (no name yet). Have a list of names but having a hard time to decide. Hope when he is home it is going to be easier when we see him. Unfortunately with the Covid breeder did not let us in her home and I am getting a puppy without ever see him in person. Breeder assures me that all is good, but I am very nervous. This is my first poodle. The last dog we had was a Standard Schnauzer (we lost him when he was 17 and it was 4 years ago). Pinkerton was a part of the family and when we had to let him go I though that never again I will let myself to go thought so much pain. Even gave all my grooming tools away. And here I am, 4 year later getting a new dog.
I am glad I come across this forum. So many great discussions and people who can share with.
I will post a picture of the puppy when I get him (this picture is from my breeder).

Attachments

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
319 Posts
So exciting! I just got my puppy a few weeks ago and the excitement and anxiety was overwhelming, then he came home and it wasn't as bad anymore. Things just clicked, even if there were challenges. I am sure that once he is home, it'll all be good.

·
Registered
983 Posts
He is adorable! And brown- what a lovely color. I’ll be waiting for more more photos 😄 I think it is very adventurous to welcome a puppy you have never met. I would totally do this with a good breeder!

·
Registered
124 Posts
So sweet—congratulations on your new family member! Please post many photos! I am seriously envious as I wait to see whether there will be a mpoo for me in a litter expected in mid-Jan.

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Gorgeous puppies. I bet you can’t wait

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Everyone for your replies. Cannot wait to meet my new boy. Breeder was sending pictures and short films of the litter, but it is not the same as to see and hold in person. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the names. Here is my short list: Ruger, Gosha, Toffy, Simon. Based on the films from the breeder, he is not a shy boy. Was pooling other's tails and pushing his brothers around a bit. So name should fit his character and I am at lost right now. And he is a nice brown color with brown nose and dark brown eyes.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Simon is nice. I also really like the name Linus.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Linus is a nice name, but my sister's name is Lina, so Linus is too similar and I am not sure how she would react ;)
Haha. Well, my SIL named her border collie Olivia which is my daughter's name, and I'm STILL trying to figure out how to react to that- so I hear you.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
262 Posts
Juliette was on my short list for Starla. My sil’s name is similar, so I did ask her if she would mind. In the end I couldn’t do it. Only a few more days until your new boy comes home!

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, three more days! Cannot wait to meet him.
:giggle:Now I am adding Oliver to my short list of names. Hope Newport does not mind - love the name. And Oly can be his nickname. Have a little problem - my granddaughter likes name Brownie, and I am not crazy about it. She is going to be really upset if I do not use it (she is 7). So may be Oliver The Brownie can work to make her happy, or something along this line. Did not expect this problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually have a question on the food. Breeder is using the Nutro small bites, adult food with some vanilla yogurt over it. I will certainly start with this until he is accustomed to the new home. I was researching different foods and there are tons of them. Any advise on what food is best for a yang mpoo?

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you, your family, and your handsome boy!

Don't worry about finding his name beforetime. Once he gets there and you spend some time together, it'll come to you. I sometimes think they whisper it to us while we sleep lol. My girls came to us named Holly Berry and Christmas Noel, already young adults, and we kept those names. This didn't stop the nicknames from coming, Holly Bear, Holly, Howly Berry, Hidey Holly, Polly, Polly Parrot, Polly Parakeet, HollyWood and Noel, Noelly, Nelly, Nell, Nellifer, Noelzebub, Nellybelle.

There's plenty of room for Brownie as well as the name you feel fits him.

For the food change, yes, give that a bit of time, even tho I wonder why the breeder is feeding adult food to a puppy. Still, let him acclimate to all the changes in his life first unless it becomes a sooner than later need.

So far as brand recommendations, you'll get about as many different names as people responding :). There's a lot of brands and types within the brands. Dog food manufacturing is taking a scientific turn and there are many nutritionally balanced choices based on size and life stage.

That said, with what I've learned here, I'd look for a company that has a veterinary nutritionist on staff creating the formulas. I'd look for a food that meets the AAFCO nutritional guidelines (usually listed on the bag or the mfr's website. I wouldn't go grain free unless your pup develops grain allergies. There is a possibility that ingredients substituting for traditional grains are a factor in some health conditions. This is unproven but it is under study.

We have some members who home cook nutritionally balanced food, some who feed raw, some who do rotational feeding...even more choices :).

FloofyPoodle has started an ongoing report on what is good nutritionally for dogs here: The quest for nutrition

So, what I chose for my boys as puppies and into maturity was kibble as their primary food source, with rotating protein toppers. This simplifies things when traveling or boarding.

The brands I chose for them as puppies were Blue Buffalo and Merrick, rotating two proteins in the kibble and with rotating protein toppers.

As adults, I'd learned more about nutrition and decided on Purina Pro Plan. It met requirements, is recommended by several members, and my boys are doing very well on it.

No idea why, but Brown Bomber just came to me as a nickname to incorporate Brownie :).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts