Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
We recently got a Standard poodle puppy male 9 weeks old a week ago as our second dog.
We already have a female Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who is 8.5 years old. The poodle puppy is really cute, playful and full of energy. But in the last two weeks he has regurgitated his food couple of times and thrown up 1-2 with retching sounds.
The puppy has been checked by vet and is found healthy, he is on a diet of IAMS dog food for puppy.
Anyone know if this is common in poodle puppy? Our Swissy has had digestive issues like IBS for a while, and Swissys in general are prone to digestive problems so we are concerned about the new puppy.
Thanks
Mona

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I don’t have a standard but I don’t think it’s normal. Iams is not a very good food, I would switch him gradually to some better quality food of your choice. Stress might also play a role, as poodles tend to be on the sensitive side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have a standard but I don’t think it’s normal. Iams is not a very good food, I would switch him gradually to some better quality food of your choice. Stress might also play a role, as poodles tend to be on the sensitive side.
Thank you for the response. We will try changing the food. There may be stress for him because our old Swissy does not like Leo (new puppy) touching her and he loves to chase her and nudge her. She has always been a single dog and was more around humans than puppy. She doesn't always but sometimes barks at him loudly in response.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! Great advice from Dechi. I hope changing the food and giving the dogs time to acclimate to each other is all this takes. Best wishes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Peggy,
He regurgitated the food right after eating and we noticed it is usually happens when he eats after playing. So we have stopped feeding him right after playtime. As for the 2 vomits one happened in the morning during walk and playtime and the other also happened in the morning.
Thanks
Mona

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My dog was prone to vomiting as a puppy. Still occasionally as an adult. Doesn't really worry me. He used to vomit if he had any sort of activity soon after eating. I think it's because they eat so much as puppies and so the upchuck trigger comes very easily.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I ended up going through half a dozen foods before finding one that agreed with my standard as a puppy. Turns out she is sensitive to chicken, and very sensitive to fish. If she is given even a few kibbles of fish based food, or a food with even 20% fish, she throws up.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Hi Peggy,
He regurgitated the food right after eating and we noticed it is usually happens when he eats after playing. So we have stopped feeding him right after playtime. As for the 2 vomits one happened in the morning during walk and playtime and the other also happened in the morning.
Thanks
Mona
General rule of thumb (especially for poodles, as they're prone to bloat) is no vigorous activity for an hour before or after eating.

Easier said than done with a puppy. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow did not know. Thanks for the information we will definitely look out for the right food now. Our older dog Swissy (Alice) has had IBS since she was a puppy and we have her on Royal Canin and have been very particular about giving her pumpkin puree and greek yogurt daily to keep it in check without any medications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up going through half a dozen foods before finding one that agreed with my standard as a puppy. Turns out she is sensitive to chicken, and very sensitive to fish. If she is given even a few kibbles of fish based food, or a food with even 20% fish, she throws up.
Wow did not know. Thanks for the information we will definitely look out for the right food now. Our older dog Swissy (Alice) has had IBS since she was a puppy and we have her on Royal Canin and have been very particular about giving her pumpkin puree and greek yogurt daily to keep it in check without any medications.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts