Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, after a long time of research and wondering i went to the pound to get a new dog, luckily while I was there a littler of puppies came in . The mother was 9 pounds they told me and I finally got to pick him up today. The thing is, I don't know much about poodles, I have been reading all day online and ordered a book, could you tell me if this is a toy or teacup? I'm hoping it's just a toy poodle as I have heard bad things about having a "teacup" dog.

I made an appointment for monday for the vet just for a new puppy check up, any info would help , too.
Thank you:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh forgot to add he is 8 weeks old. Thank You. And also the mom was a poodle but I did not see her, and to me she looks like a purebred as I see no difference when I google "toy poodle" he looks exactly like this

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Teacup is a phrase used to market very small toy poodles

So if he grows no greater than 11" (or 10" in USA?) then he will be a toy

He looks very cute though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you he is about 2 pounds right now and 8 weeks old. He is so smart and attentive I love him! A family friend of mine got a "teacup" yorkie and that thing was just a menace you could not pick him up without him spinning around 100mph , but this pup has already grown on me and is sitting in my lap calmy right now, I am wondering if any of you know when he will be ready to go for walks ? He is too little right now obviously

·
Registered
335 Posts
I always waited until they had their first 3 series of shots before walking them down the street. But you can play in the yard and practice with the leash inside-then he can get used to it before he goes on walks and has so many big-world distractions.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If you puppy weighs 2 lbs at 8 weeks, he will not be a tea cup. :) I am guessing more in the neighborhood of 7 to 8 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts