Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my family became the owners of a miniature poodle. Chad is estimated at 1 1/2 to 2 years old. We weren't planning on him joining us, actually a neighbor and I were going to pick up an item a woman had for sale and when we arrived there we saw a white hairball cowering in a corner. Asking about her animals, there were a lot, she said she was going to sell the poodle. When we saw how bad of shape he was in I asked the lady how much she wanted for him. I gave her 40 dollars and took the matted mess home. Chad as we have named him is severely emaciated and was so matted he had to be clipped to his skin, he is half done as he was starting to stress during the grooming and will be finished today. We discovered massive wounds from where the matts laid. All that aside he is the sweetest little guy who has quiet adapted to a home with kids, dogs, cats, lizards and birds. We go to the vet this week and will get neutered soon. It boggles the mind how a person can treat an animal this way. I did file a report with the sheriffs office in her town but they did not seem overly concerned.
martha

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome Martha & thank you for rescuing Chad. I'm glad he found such a loving forever home with you & your family.

Happy Mothers Day!

·
Registered
616 Posts
so glad you were able to rescue Chad and give him a new start!! makes me sick to think the Sherrifs didnt care. did you call animal control?:weep:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is no animal control for that area. He came from a pretty rural area in Northern NY. Now with him shaved and showing his emaciation I have had people in my neighborhood complain about mistreating him. My husband suggested creotene to fatten him up. Gotta love the soldiers mind set. As it is he is on Chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul and is doing this only eat if i serve him piece by piece, but I stopped that and have food out for him to eat at his discretion, I figure he needs to learn that food is there and we won't take it from him. All about trust.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Wow!!

Glad you came to the rescue of that little guy.

Maybe you could document your process? Show how he was when you got him, how he was after he was shaved/cleaned, and then in a few months how's he's gotten better (normal)... that may be something to send into the Sheriff.

Great on you for doing this, and welcome to the Poodle Forum!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Welcome to the forum. So sorry about Chad. Yes there are many sicko ppl out there that are undeserving of owning a dog let alone a poodle. I would have taken him to the vet first, they could have written up a report straight away. The sheriffs department wont do a thing, is there an animal cruelty in the US, not sure what you call them there but here in Oz they are called RSPCA.

I know what its like to have an imaciated dog, one of mine I sold was resold to a puppy farm, used and abuse being starved, dehydrated, full of ear mites, ticks, fleas, belted, hung, hit over the back with a plank of wood. He was an hour off death when we rescued him. Thankfully he lived through it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh and when these ppl clipped him the gashed open his testies so they were exposed. He also was bruised 2 mths after still on the ribs cage indicating he was badly kicked. Also slept on concrete and because being thin his skin ripped open and his bones were exposed.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Oh and when these ppl clipped him the gashed open his testies so they were exposed. He also was bruised 2 mths after still on the ribs cage indicating he was badly kicked. Also slept on concrete and because being thin his skin ripped open and his bones were exposed.
Just wow. :weep: :weep: :weep:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Oh Sivaro, that is so sick, so cruel, I'm sure these type of things go on, but why? Why would anyone be so brutal to an animal? your story absolutely makes me sick to my stomach. It would be terrible hearing about someone doing anything like this to any animal, but to find out that it was one that you had owned, would be even harder to take, I think. Was this a poodle? I'm so glad that he lived through such terrible conditions and that you were able to rescue him. Do you still own this dog?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
yes with puppy farms its all about the $$$$$$, and when the dog is no longer of use, out they go.

This is Leo

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Unbelievable. I have heard of all the terrible things that go on in puppy mills, but have never seen for myself. This is just so terrible. I don't understand how ANYONE and I mean anyone, even a person without any compassion for an animal would ever let the animal get into such a condition, since I'm sure that any poor animal in a condition such as this would not be able to reproduce any well offspring. I realize that when these animals quit reproducing they are done with that particular animal, but since the only thing that these terrible ppl are after are the $$$$$, it would seem to me that they are defeating their own purpose by not taking care of the adult dogs, that are reproducing these pups. Am I wrong, or wouldn't these sickly adult dogs also have smaller liters? I really am in shock after seeing these pictures Sivaro, and I mean this literally.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I cried my eyes out when I was told, I rang the original purchaser at midnight after I found out about Leo and blasted her. You have no idea or may have an idea of the words I used. I sure wasnt being a lady.

If it wasnt for the forum I use to be on, and over 10,000 ppl supporting me and following the story, Leo would have died on that farm. They wanted to sell him to me while the dog was on deaths door. Everyone wanted to chip in and buy him back, I wouldnt allow it. I know to some ppl that may be cruel that I wouldnt pay a cent, but one the dog was nearly dead without any reasurance he would survive. Two, I refuse to pay these scumbags and line their pockets. If I did they would have won. Instead a forum full of ppl who can track down IP address and find him on all the cheap dog for sale websites threatened him on him phone, mobile phone, emails. He got scared and gave Leo up.

Leo only just survived. It was touch and go there for months. Leo was in another state, so a forum member took care of him and everyone chipped in. It cost thousands to nurse him, he wasnt allowed to board a plane to come back to me or drive which would have been 16 hour round trip, he would have died.

This is Leo today.

My friend Cindy (Ambervale as we call her on the forum) loved him so much I could not take him off her. He loves her and dotes on her. He stresses when she is out of his sight. So as you can see he is well cared for.

The beautiful part to this story which will put a tear to your eye is when Cindy drove out an hour and a half to pick him up, he collapsed in the car and her daughter was screaming on the phone to me. (Im in tears writing this) although its been 2 yrs its still so fresh in my memory. By the time they got to the vet, Cindy picked him up and leant her head on his chest cause she thought he just died. With the little energy Leo had he lifted his head and licked her face. Poodles are so intelligent and I know he was grateful she saved him from that Monster.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
BEAUTIFUL ending. I am soooooo in tears, but they are now happy tears. Yes I too appologize for taking over this thread, but just had to hear how Leo is doing today.

Forgot to say "Leo" is sooooo very handsome today.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts