Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was reading the thread about confidence and I was wondering...I've always raised Dobermans and they are highly independent dogs. I mean, I was always told that it was best to have them be independent. I like how MiMi is a velcro dog. She is very sweet and just wants lots of attention.

However, how can I get her to like her crate? My other dog Koda loves his crate and chooses it over bed with me! She hates it. She screams her head off the moment I close the door on the crate. :( She's not ever crated when I am home but I do work Friday and Saturday night and I have to leave sometimes to go to school. Will she just learn to be quiet when I leave and no one comes running or will she continue to cry? Sorry. I'm just not sure and I want to do everything perfect.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Okay so I was reading the thread about confidence and I was wondering...I've always raised Dobermans and they are highly independent dogs. I mean, I was always told that it was best to have them be independent. I like how MiMi is a velcro dog. She is very sweet and just wants lots of attention.

However, how can I get her to like her crate? My other dog Koda loves his crate and chooses it over bed with me! She hates it. She screams her head off the moment I close the door on the crate. :( She's not ever crated when I am home but I do work Friday and Saturday night and I have to leave sometimes to go to school. Will she just learn to be quiet when I leave and no one comes running or will she continue to cry? Sorry. I'm just not sure and I want to do everything perfect.
Perfect - not sure that will happen:doh: Seriously though, you have to use the crate while your there also. This will get her used to it quicker and the whinning will stop. You will need to ignor it for a while as it is happening. Use treats and a fun toy or chew bone. After one day Olie was set in his for the most part- it took a couple more days for him to adjust completely when we were home. Dont give in and be patient.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So could I just start putting her in the crate when I am on the computer and she is sleeping? That is what I'm doing at the moment. I could just move the crate around with me till she gets used to it, or should I leave her in a room by herself?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts