Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm Ali and my new standard poodle puppy, Fenris, will be coming home soon. My household is just me and my cat, Sushi, so I'm excited but also nervous, mostly about introducing the current kitty to the new puppy. But also because I've never had a dog before so everything seems so overwhelming and i'm afraid of doing something wrong. This seems like a very informative forum and I look forward to doing more than just lurking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaking personally and.from experience,I know nothing about dogs but especially poodles.
Here has been nothing but good, and to my surprise I was able to share relevant experiences n therefore knowledge. I am.an unabashed fan of this forum!
Thanks! Makes me feel better to know I have resources.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your new puppy.

None of us make it through puppydom without a few missteps. We recover and so does the puppy.

btw, we love puppy pictures.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The fact that you are doing a lot of research means you will probably be successful. Just go into it knowing that there will be struggles and you will make mistakes and feel lost but you will work things out and all will be well in the end. If you can, find a good local trainer that you can plan to take classes with. It is extremely helpful for new dog owners to have a professional to consult along the way.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Welcome. This is the forum dedicated to all things poodle. We are here to help you. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Do take a look at the threads about new puppies. Also feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Thank you for making me feel so welcome. Yes, we will be taking classes together because I have to be trained too, and books and YouTube videos have their own limitations. And I am sure I'll have a million questions. As far as pictures, I only have a few so far since my breeder is an hour away from me so I won't have as many until he is home. But I'll post some when I have a moment.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Thanks everyone! Thank you for making me feel so welcome. Yes, we will be taking classes together because I have to be trained too, and books and YouTube videos have their own limitations. And I am sure I'll have a million questions. As far as pictures, I only have a few so far since my breeder is an hour away from me so I won't have as many until he is home. But I'll post some when I have a moment.
I would recommend Stonnie Dennis as a trainer on youtube. I really like his methods and have tried to incorporate a lot of them in how I raised Misha. I would say the main thing I disagree with him about (other than politics lol) is that he tends to do more forced exercise stress on young puppies' joints than I am comfortable with. I would dial it down just a little bit, but other than that I think his methods are incredibly useful to learn from. He has a lot of old videos that are just plain enjoyable to watch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would recommend Stonnie Dennis as a trainer on youtube.
I don't know anything about training but I have been watching McCann Dog Training on YouTube. I'll definitely check out Stonnie Dennis too. I just feel like I am having a hard time memorizing all the training exercises.

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
Check out the great sticky threads we have about puppy concerns. They stay at the top of the sub-forums they are part of, but here are links for some of them.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Welcome to PF! I joined PF while I was waiting for my first poodle, Buck, and it is a lifeline:). Nice people at the end of it, too. Add a flirt pole to your shopping list. I hope Fenris is an “easy keeper” and the cat has lots of safe places to nurse her resentment.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Hi and welcome. I can’t wait till you bring your puppy Fenris home and post photos.

You didn’t ask, but do you have plans for handling Sushi when you bring Fenris home. I had 3 older cats (Ragdolls, very gentle mellow cats) when I brought my minipoo home. Two of my cats had lived with my tpoo who passed away 12 years earlier. The third was a rescue who I didn’t know if it had dog experience as a kitten. All 3 were scared. My minipoo was almost a year old and experience around cats, and loves cats. We set up many escape routes for the cats. They moved to the lower level for a month and we had their food, water and litter box there. Slowly we moved their food up one step every few days til they were comfortable in the same room. The cats had chairs and shelves they could jump up and away and holes in the gating which blocked the dog from pursuing them when they needed alone time. After awhile they figured it out and I could remove most of the escape routes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi and welcome. I can’t wait till you bring your puppy Fenris home and post photos.

You didn’t ask, but do you have plans for handling Sushi when you bring Fenris home. I had 3 older cats (Ragdolls, very gentle mellow cats) when I brought my minipoo home. Two of my cats had lived with my tpoo who passed away 12 years earlier. The third was a rescue who I didn’t know if it had dog experience as a kitten. All 3 were scared. My minipoo was almost a year old and experience around cats, and loves cats. We set up many escape routes for the cats. They moved to the lower level for a month and we had their food, water and litter box there. Slowly we moved their food up one step every few days til they were comfortable in the same room. The cats had chairs and shelves they could jump up and away and holes in the gating which blocked the dog from pursuing them when they needed alone time. After awhile they figured it out and I could remove most of the escape routes.
Actually I created another post asking about introducing dogs to cats so any advice is appreciated :)

After getting some advice here, I'm thinking of giving up my bedroom as cat safe space (move his litter and food there too, plus a second litter box in the main bathroom where he is now). I need to work out of my office, and will have the puppy with me both while I work and in the same room as I sleep. I'm looking at baby gates for my bedroom so the cat can go in and out as he wants, some even have small cat doors at the bottom so his old behind doesn't have to jump so much. I am just hoping that I won't have to sleep on the couch in the office more than a month or two. And it will be a lot longer before the puppy is allowed to roam unsupervised anyway, so hopefully it will make Sushi more secure and smug to be free to go as he pleases.

A friend used to bring a dog over years and years ago when I lived in another city. I've had Sushi from when he was a kitten so this was pretty much his only interaction with dogs. It was a small one that liked barking a lot. Sushi would just jump really high on a couch and stare at it smugly and this tiny thing couldn't make it up (not for the lack of trying). I'm hoping for the same cat reaction, but hopefully I'll be able to train Fenris to leave the cat alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts