Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once you've got the love of a great poodle, you can become poodle crazy!! We have mini #3 - and he's just awesome fitting in perfectly. He's being shown in conformation, so not neutered yet. He doesn't seem to care about being dominant, just a happy-go-lucky little man of a beautiful deep red. I'm wondering just how long one can go before neutering; I don't want him to know what he's got as he is destined to be in our pet home. Perhaps this doesn't make sense to some, but I really enjoy watching him show, and most importantly, he seems to love it. What tell-tale clues am I looking for to know when it is absolutely time to neuter him? He's 14 months old now. How much time do you think I have?? I have two other males whom I neutered at near 6 months old, so I don't have experience with this question. The only thing I see is that he is overly sniffy with house guests. I question if he has been marking some, so I use a belly band to check. He is 95% housebroken (trained w/i the 4 weeks I've had him; he came from kennel life prior). The other 5% I question marking, or a small accident about once a week. He doesn't seem to pull rank on my other two boys, and is happy being 3rd. He's a sweet boy to everyone, and I feel so lucky he was able to join our pack family. Can you give me any advise??

·
Registered
875 Posts
do you have females around?
I have seen dogs that were neutered at 8 years old not have a problem with marking or humping, and I have seen dogs that were 6 months old and humped and marked, I think its something that should be on a dog by dog basis.

I believe UKC has an altered class, this way he could be neutered but stil show and neutered dogs can compete in perormance events, he will be happy as long as he gets to show off with you ;)

I have 3 intact males, and no marking issues 2 are 1 year old 1 is 2 years old.

I also have intact females areound, and even when they were in heat I didnt have issues with them fighting or marking. they are around both intact and neutered males and females and no issues, I have more problems with the girls getting into it ( everyone is figuring out where they are on the social ladder)

Ultimately (sp) It's your dog and your house, so its really up to you.

PS a shih-tzu breeder I know trains her males not to hike by just putting their leg back down
its worth a try

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm just going to come out and say it: A lot of info out there about neutering is bogus. The only real purpose for it is too control the pet population, which is valid and if people would use it, the number of homeless dogs would go down. Unfortunately, it's most irresponsible people (who let their dogs roam, etc.) and those that breed for money that fuel the pet overpopulation. Their are stats somewhere that say BYBs are the number one cause of homeless pets> Not reputable breeders or puppymills, but the "I just want one or two litters" or "we had an oops litter" pet owners.

As far as health and behavioral issues go, I don't think neutering is the miracle solution that many lead us to believe. Testicular cancer affects less than 1% of dogs, is slow growing and easily treated. There are now studies floating around that suggest early neutering increases the risks of osteo and hermangeosarcoma. Both very serious cancers.

I have a Maltese that was neutered at approximately 1yr of age (when I adopted him), a Rottweiler that isn't neutered and is 5 and my mom's dog was neutered at 6 months. My Rottie has never marked in the house, never humped anyone or anything, is perfectly content to be the omega dog, and has never torn down a fence to get to a female in heat. Neither of the two dogs that were neutered are 100% housebroken, Bailey humps other dogs and is very concerned with being the top dog and Dudley has instigated fights with large dogs he didn't know. Let me make is clear that I don't believe their behaviors are related to being neutered, just that neutering isn't a cure for behavioral problems.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I was going to say something similar as Harly chick. I have an 18 month old standard boy that was neutered at 12 months and he still humps but he doesn't mark. I'd almost prefer he lift his leg because he pees all over his front legs with his squatting. I will have a show boy that will not be neutered and I don't plan on neutering him until we are done showing and I'm going to take my time with that. It's possible he won't be neutered until he's 5 years old. I just think it's a dog's individual personality and there are things you can do to prevent marking in the house.

Oh and I want to say if a dog is going to try to be alpha, neutering doesn't stop it. Harry tries this with other dogs and humps other dogs and again he's been neutered for months.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I completely believe in neutering, but i agree that it is not the "maricle" solution for behavior problems.
Riley is 7, and he has been neutered since he was 6 months old. He is the dominant dog in any group we go to. He lifts his leg and marks places when we go out (NEVER inside anywhere though!). He humps male and female dogs. He is just dominant in personality to other dogs (but not mean). Obviously his neutering had no affect on him whatsoever.
I believe marking inside the house is a housebreaking problem, not a dominant problem. It can turn into a habit, but i think it starts out with a shakey foundation (and coming from a show kennel like your boy did, i would almost expect it). Sounds like you are well on your way with it though.

I think you should neuter when you are ready, but i would not wait forever. Younger dogs heal faster, and i have known many "hyper" boys that really settled down after being neutered.

BTW, what burb do you live in? We are in Rockford.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honestly, I'm not a fan of neutering my dogs. It's never a guaranteed behavior modifier and I can't justify putting my dogs through major surgery for no medical reason. I think people are so conditioned to neuters/spays that they forget it's a major surgery. (However, I wholeheartedly agree with rescue groups altering all dogs before placement to control overpopulation.)

I know this isn't something that happens to most dogs, but I'm still a little freaked out by losing one of my favorite groom dogs a couple months ago. He passed away while under anesthesia for his neuter at 14 months old.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I will neuter because I think dog balls are gross =/ and their urine seems more musty?

(sorry if my reply sounds totally perverted.. lol..)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
LOL Fluffyspoos!!!! I agree with the dog balls comment!! I also think it is totally disgusting that people have started hanging rubber testicles on the hitches of their trucks/cars! I've often been tempted to do a "truck neuter" while stuck in traffic behind one of these geniuses!!

I managed a humane society for 4 years in my town and, while I agree that neutering isn't a "miracle" cure for certain behaviors in certain dogs (ie high dominance dogs), my experience shows that it DOES benefit the average dog in most cases.

Unless I plan to actively show or breed, I don't see any reason NOT to spay or neuter since it will remove the testosterone/hormone induced instincts and help your pet be a closer member of your human family/pack and not be distracted by the "need" to procreate caused by those instincts.

An experienced dog owner would know how to deal with these behaviors to remind the dog that the human is pack leader, but your average pet owner won't have the ability to manage the behaviors and an intact dog "could" end up getting out of hand without a strong leader.

Ultimately it is a personal decision for each owner (maybe including consultation with a trusted veterinarian), but I know that every pet I will ever have (dog, cat, rabbit, horse, etc) will be spayed or neutered as early as the vet recommends. The only exception are my cockatiels and that's mainly because sterilization surgery is not done mainstream on avians - also if my birds would ever get the feather-brained idea to mate or lay eggs, I can replace their eggs with decoys so not to contribute to pet overpopulation...

Wow - sorry one of my very first posts turned into a novel! My daughter always tells me I talk waaaaaaay too much!!

back to lurking now... :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hmm.

I used to work in a pretty rural practice, and while nothing is a 'mircacle' cure...
I have seen enough prostate cancer in intact farm dogs to be a fan of neutering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my gosh, thanks everybody for your thoughts! I really appreciated you taking the time to voice your opinions. I believe I will enjoy watching him show as far as he can achieve and then I likely must neuter him as he visits my family's female dogs next summer and I must have less testosterone instinct by then. On a different note, I believe the general humping that some of you mention is typical of pack hierachy display; both sexes do this to gain/maintain their position w/i the pack. This can occur with all spayed females running together too. Funny, though, that I see none of this in my house with my boyz running together - I think they know I am pack leader. Perhaps I reinforce this often as I don't really want that display in my house, and they just don't and still get along beautifully! Maybe I'm lucky?! My experience with males has been very good, and I definitely want to make the right decision for this particular boy in question. I've got a more dominant male too, that humped a lot when we first got him, but even he is not the K-9 pack leader - go figure. My more submissive 6YO is the K-9 pack leader and referee to the younger 2 playing. I just love sharing our home with these boyz. Thanks again to all of you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your reply! I've got family/friends in Rkfd! I'm about an hour from you, near Crystal Lake. This boy of mine is a busy-body and lighter in weight than I would like; my breeder says once I neuter he will likely keep more weight on too. Makes sence, but I won't expect personality changes as he is smart and his mind is everywhere thinking about things, so I still think he will always be a "busy-body". Glad to know someone is nearer to me. You have a beautiful photo of your dog displayed, but I'm not ready for the snow! It's going to be cold tonight, did you turn on your heat to get the dusty smell out yet?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It was cold last night, and Very windy (still is)! No, we havnt turned on our heat yet. It is sopost to warm up. I just snuggled under the blankets. Riley has a thick coat right now, and i have a fleece jacket for when it gets really cold. I personally like the colder house so i can curl up with blanets (which i have wrapped around me right now in the basement with a warm cat on my lap).

Im sure the "busy-bodyness" wont go away when you neuter him. Good luck with your showing him! It is a small world that we live so close!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts