Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone! Im a new poodle mom or actually im not sure, my husband suprised me with an adopted puppy from a family member that they couldn’t keep due to their young children. We were told that he was a small poodle that is it. Ive been researching lately information on toy and minis and their peculiar characteristics to know what he is. I know there are lots of mixes also out there ..l maltipoo, bichonpoo and so on. Just wanted to know what he actually is attached are pictures of him now he is 3 months old and weighs little under 5 pounds. We love him dearly no matter what breed he is, just want to know if we are in the poodle direction. Iknow some difrent characteristics can allso be caused by a not so great breeders. He is a perfect square at the moment 9 inches and a half. The picture one is when we got him and he was all fluffly and the second one was my husbands first attempt of a poodle cut, he is still to young to go to the groomers. He also had very frizzy hair when he came nothing like the poodle hair, ive read the hair changes but im not sure if his will. Please let me know how your toy and minis looked at this age, if you have pictures better and if you might know what he is your opinion would be appreciated
Thank you
First thread :beauty:
Hope to hear from you guys

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,245 Posts
Looks very poodley, maybe something else mixed in, but very cute no matter what! Have fun.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Welcome! He looks poodley to me and quite adorable.
He does to me too. He looks like a sweetheart.

He’s lucky the family realized they were not a good match and you ended up with him.

He’s not too young to go to the groomer’s, just the opposite he should be going to start his training on being groomed. Let the groomer know he’s a young puppy and you want a short gentle visit. Pick a groomer who requires all dogs be up to date with vaccinations.

He also needs socialization too because I’m guessing the family who gave him up didn't have time to take him to lots of places to meet lots of people. There’s a safe way to do it before they are fully vaccinated.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
He's adorable. I agree...get him out and about and seeing a reputable groomer would be a good place to start. I'd recommend getting his face shaved...get him use to it and you'll also be able to see him better. I think he looks pretty darn poodley but shaving his face and getting a really good groom might help see him better. Plus, give him that much needed experience. Make sure it's pleasant for him. It is indeed a little hard to tell with all the hair on his face, but his muzzle looks a little large in even considering the hair...not quite as refined. But I could very well be wrong in what I'm seeing. Anyhow, as you say, it doesn't really matter. You're just lucky you wound up with him and so is he.

You can search around on this forum for some ideas on socializing safely and effectively and you'll find a bunch of other good info. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Welcome - he looks poodlely to me too. And how lucky that he came to you. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures together.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Whether he's pure or a mix, he's super cute! You can do the Wisdom Panel DNA test to find out for sure, if you're curious enough.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Aww thanks for sharing. He is super cute and looks very poodle. As other said its important to get him into all different scenarios, makes for him being more well balanced. My dog stated at the groomer at 10 weeks. Now he did have some of his shots though he wasn't complete. My groomer took him early, bathed and clipped and I picked him up right away. Her assistant would call about 1-15 min before he would be complete.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He does to me too. He looks like a sweetheart.

He’s lucky the family realized they were not a good match and you ended up with him.

He’s not too young to go to the groomer’s, just the opposite he should be going to start his training on being groomed. Let the groomer know he’s a young puppy and you want a short gentle visit. Pick a groomer who requires all dogs be up to date with vaccinations.

He also needs socialization too because I’m guessing the family who gave him up didn't have time to take him to lots of places to meet lots of people. There’s a safe way to do it before they are fully vaccinated.
Thank you :act-up: we are so happy to have him
Ive just been a little scared since he is still missing a set of shots, will definetly show u guys once he has the proper grooming
Unfortunately he was passed from one family to another family and then to us all before being 9 weeks so he did come a bit nervous and he would growl at us just for touching him but ever since he has gotten used to the stability and schedule. Ive learned how truly important it is that puppys arent seperated from their sibbling and mom at such a young age. I have done some research plus what i have seem in him, they need that playtime of bitting and receiving bites from sibbling in order to better understand how much it hurts. He would bite very very hard when he came home and he was less than two pounds :aetsch:
Since then he has spent time with my parents dog and other dogs I know are healthy, hes gotten better
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cute puppy ! I think he might be a poodle mix.

It would be easier to tell if you gave him a clean poodle groom (shaved face, top knot).
Yes! As soon as he has all his shots I want to give him the clean face to actually be able to see his muzzle and his features ill be adding it to this thread
Btw your puppy is soo adorable :love2:
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's adorable. I agree...get him out and about and seeing a reputable groomer would be a good place to start. I'd recommend getting his face shaved...get him use to it and you'll also be able to see him better. I think he looks pretty darn poodley but shaving his face and getting a really good groom might help see him better. Plus, give him that much needed experience. Make sure it's pleasant for him. It is indeed a little hard to tell with all the hair on his face, but his muzzle looks a little large in even considering the hair...not quite as refined. But I could very well be wrong in what I'm seeing. Anyhow, as you say, it doesn't really matter. You're just lucky you wound up with him and so is he.

You can search around on this forum for some ideas on socializing safely and effectively and you'll find a bunch of other good info. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the reply! I definitely want to give him that poodle look soon to actually be able to see more his face and characteristics. Thank you for that point of the muzzle i have noticed that its not as refined its like more round, is it possible though that that is caused by poor breeding practises? I highly doubt that the first owners went to a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
My vets always told me that after 2 of the puppy series of shots it was safe to take the puppy around to see people and tolerant, sweet dogs that were healthy. I'd stay clear of places where tons of dogs hung out, like dog parks or pet stores until a little later. But it's very important to get them socialized...meeting new people every day, seeing different environments, different ground surfaces, differently clothed people, people carrying things...large packages, umbrellas, wearing hats, people with big coats on, without big coats on etc etc etc. All these things need to happen without over whelming the puppy, which means over time. Well, you don't have a lot of time so it's a balancing act to be sure. You need to make sure your puppy has happy experiences, not frightening ones when you introduce him to new people, places and things. Associate those things with yummy, tiny treats and happy times. He needs to have a pretty good supply of all this by the time he's 14-16 weeks of age or he'll never regain that and it can make a serious problem, every bit as serious as parvo. A dog that misses out on that early critical socialization period between birth and about 12-16 weeks of age will likely be very mal-adjusted, frightened, unbalanced and it is extremely, if not impossible to regain any of that lost time.

That window of time is there in nature in all animals, designed for survival and the perpetuation of the species. If a dog has gotten along fine all this time without seeing an umbrella open or a loud machine, certain kinds of people or animals, he figures it's not necessary in life and will forever avoid that thing and may well be afraid of it. It has gone into the unsafe/unnecessary/to-be-avoided "folder," while the things that he's enjoyed seeing and gotten use to go in the safe/part-of-life "folder." If this were not the case, you'd have deer and bunnies coming right up to you in the forest, unafraid and wanting to make friends. So, it's of the most monumental importance to socialize your puppy systematically, every day and forever. You will be able to lighten up after the puppy is older. But now...every day. If you don't train your puppy anything else, carry out this important socialization.

Another thing you can do is ask around of different vets if they have seen a lot of parvo lately in the area. If that's the case, you can take more precautions, like take him around in a stroller. But I wouldn't recommend that unless the situation requires it. It is good for them to see things from their own perspective, height, feel the ground, smell the scents and so on.

It's the way it is that the puppy vaccines and that critical period of socialization conflict time wise. But people who put off socialization until all the vaccines are finished miss that window and it's a lot harder and oftentimes they'll have life long problems with their dogs. It's work...you have to be disciplined to get out there with the pup, think about where you're going, even make a check list so you cover as much as you can without over whelming or frightening the puppy in his encounters. Executed well, it will pay off in the end. Good luck.

Reactions: Rose n Poos
1 - 13 of 13 Posts