Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some new photos of Gorky at 10 weeks old. He is doing great, except for nipping at our pants and growling. What do you suggest for changing this behavior. We think it should be better when we are able to walk him. Of course, we have to wait until his last shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
omg, Gorky is a doll!! i dont have any suggestions for his nipping and growling. Maybe get him some more toys he can play with and every time he starts biting on you you can just hurry up and give him a toy so that he knows he can bite on the toy and not you??

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Cute! Love his color.

I personally dont think keeping them inside until their full set of shots are done. That could even be as late as 6 months. Early as 4. Those are Critical socialization time periods for puppys that you Cant make up more later. Since he is already 10 weeks he would already have this mothers immunity, at least 2, if not 3 shots already. I would not take him to an infested area, but walks around town or parks should be fine. Get him out to class, and around other dogs. He will not be well adjusted to the "real world" of you keep him inside. There are Tons of studies on puppy socialization periods, and he is in a major one now. Please get him to a puppy class, and exposed to different things. A good puppy class will really help with the nipping as will more exercise. Ok, ill get off my soap box now. :flute: ;)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Cute!!!! I love the color.

I agree with BPP - get him out and socialize now. He needs to get used to soooooooo many things and you only have so much time. He needs to get a lot of good experiences in his "puppy bank" (as I like to call it). :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ohhhhh, Ivy's brother pics again!! He is sooo handsome! And, boy, you can tell they are brother and sister.

I totally agree, take Gorky out and socialize him. I have never waited till all the shots were given to take them out to socialize on walks and around town. I have never had any problems in all my years with a pup that came down with anything. As long as they have their first shot and are getting their boosters on time, you will not have to worry about him getting anything. Ivy has already been out to the nursing home, to PetCo, to Tractor Supply Co. and has met many people and she loves it. Obviously, if I saw someone who had a sickly looking dog with them, I would steer clear of them for sure, but I agree, Gorky needs to get out and socialize during the important first few months of his life so he learns to be relaxed and ok with other people and animals.

As for the grabbing your pant leg, firmly tell him 'no' and detach him and if he comes back to do it again, move your leg and say 'no' before he grabs it. Make him sit and give him a treat. He will learn that to have attention he is seeking he needs to sit and look at you and you will give it to him.

Good luck. Look forward to more pics of sweet Gorky!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Gorky is a doll, his face is just so cute!

I agree with everyone above, this is a critical time to get him out and used to the sounds and smells of our strange world. It's amazing how noisy the world can seem when you are listening to it through the ears of a little pup! If you're really not comfortable walking him before his shots are done, at the very least I would recommend sticking him in a backpack and taking him out to get him used to the sounds and sights. Enjoy, pups are so fun (if a lot of work)!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. We have taken him outside, just not walking on Main Street. We have a large yard and he is definitely taking in a lot. We also have a large porch where he can get use to sounds of traffic etc. I didn't mean to wait till all of his shots, just his last distemper shot. We are also having dogs over to visit Gorky this weekend in our backyard. He is getting better with nipping and the pants. He is beginning to understand no bite and he is very good at the sit and stay command. Thanks for the comments. We will take him for a walk very soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts