Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of now, we can take our dogs for lunch. :)

Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2019 (Ontario)

Ontario bars and restaurants will have the option of allowing dogs on patios where “low-risk foods” are served. “Cutting red tape … is also about giving Ontarians the freedom to pursue the things that matter to them—like enjoying Sunday brunch with a four-legged member of the family,” said Prabmeet Sarkaria, Associate Minister for Small Business and Red Tape Reduction.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ok, but honestly, I don't really think I'd want to take my Standard Poodle to a patio. I feel like he would be a handful in that environment.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Most bars and cafes round here allow dogs inside - they are just banned from food preparation areas. It makes outings much easier to plan, especially in bad weather.

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Ok, but honestly, I don't really think I'd want to take my Standard Poodle to a patio. I feel like he would be a handful in that environment.
They are! ? We have to muster up the energy (and courage) to bring Peggy with us to coffee shop patios, but we have a clear goal that we're working towards—a "go anywhere" dog—and it requires that we persevere. Some days I'm more optimistic than others.*

*Today is not one of those days.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Awesome! I take Misha to a few dog friendly bars around here. He always surprises me with how well he can behave. I'd love it if it were more common to allow them inside.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I would love it if we could be like fjm and bring them inside places where food is served, just not the kitchen where it’s prepared. We can take ours to outdoor patios where they have marked dogs are welcome.

As PeggyTheParti says, you train your dog so you can take it everywhere. I’ve done that with my minipoo. There’s something really nice about having a dog that you can take running errands and you know it will behave appropriately.

I’m glad Ontario has passed that law making it more dog friendly.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Good for you ! Since it’s optional, I wonder how you will know where you can take your dog besides phoning in advance to find out...

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I break the No Food From the Table rule when we visit cafes, and switch to Picnic Rules instead. This means my dogs can expect tiny, tiny tastes of what I am eating if they wait politely by my feet, which keeps their attention riveted on me and stops them even thinking about hassling other people or dogs. Some cafes, of course, provide dog biscuits - those are their absolute favourites!

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is a winery near me that allows dogs. On a rainy day I can sit in what used to be a pony shed and be served wine by a person who looks very much like a Viking, and on a good weather day I can enjoy the patio. I keep meaning to take Violet there and also try some soup with my wine. However, puppy raising is a very rigorous undertaking and so far I haven't made it there!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
When I lived in Scotland I could take my well-behaved German Shepherd (Alsatian) just about anywhere. People there taught their dogs how to behave in public places, so dogs were generally welcomed. We have several restaurants in the Albuquerque area that welcome dogs on the portal or patio. Local laws ban them inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts