Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My standard poodle Zach died tonight. We let him out to use the bathroom and when he came back in he started breathing heavy and then he died. He was only 8 years old. He was the most wonderful dog and I will miss him. This was so unexpected.

Cheryl

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Welcome and Im so sorry for your loss. How unexpected and surprising that must of been. Did he show any sign's prior to this that he may be ill or anything out of the ordinary?

Thats so sad!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your kind replies. Zach had not been ill at all. He went outside last night, my son let him back in and he said he circled around the room a few times, laid down on his side and was struggling to breath. He called me to come upstairs and I could tell something was wrong. He just layed there. I went to call our vet and before I could dial the number my son said he had stopped breathing. From the time he came inside till he died was maybe 20 minutes. We laid him on a blanket in our garage for the night. This morning I went out to the garage and he had all this blood that had come from his mouth. He was almost 9 years old. My parents standard poodle lived to be 13 years, They had to put him to sleep because he started having terrible seizures. I expected Zach to be with us for several more years.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Again,I am terribly sorry for your loss.
My standard poodle Gaby died in July last year at 12 years of age.
She was diagnosed with cancer 6 months earlier.
What you are describing might be related to the same cancer...hemangiosarcoma...it affects the blood stream and attacks internal organs.
She had a tumour weighing 10 lbs on her spleen.
We cought it,had her spleen removed and it gave us another 6 months.
IF it is not found by ultrasound,the spleen raptures,the dog goes into a shock and dies from an internal bleed.
It is very fast and painless.
That is what could have happened to Zach.
Having gone through a loss of my beloved poodle recently,I know just how devastating it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoofan, I did a web search on hemangiosarcoma and that could be what Zach had. It would explain how it happened so quickly. I am sorry to hear about your Gaby. I know you are still missing her too.
Cheryl

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Zach, Cheryl. I've lost several dogs, but none suddenly so I can only imagine how you feel. Even when you know it's coming it's still devastating when it happens. Hopefully you can take some comfort in the fact that he died at home and didn't see to suffer long.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would like to add my condolences too Cheryl. We all love our animals so much and while we wish they would stay with us forever we know they won't, but 8 years is way too young.

I am not sure if you have heard the Rainbow Bridge Poem, it makes me cry everytime I read it, but it also makes me think about my beloved pets that have pass, so I have put a link below if you would like to read it.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Im very sorry for your loss Cheryl. If thats what he had its good to know he didn't suffer. I get scared thinking about the day I lose one of my babies. I had to put down my 1st show dog Malibu June of 07. It took me a good year to finally get my emotions in check after losing her even though I ultimately made the decision. We had the closest bond and she was one of those dogs you knew would happily die for her family. I still cry occassionally, like Im doing now. Deep breath's....

Anyhow, I wish you and your family the best getting through this time in your life. If your up to it post some pics of your boy. Im sure we would all love to still see him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your support. Blue fox, thank you for the link to the rainbow bridge poem. What a beautiful poem. Secreto, your standard poodle on your avatar reminds me of Zach, he was black too. I will post some pictures when I can find them.
Cheryl

·
Registered
124 Posts
Aww I'm sorry for your loss. It will get better with time.....trust me I know. I lost my saint bernard 4 years ago. I couldn't take getting another dog until now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sassafras, Thank you for posting the poem. I am going to write it down so I can keep it with me.

This is a wonderful forum, everyone has been so kind. I'm not surprised, I have found that dog lovers are the nicest people.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So very sorry to hear about you loosing your beloved friend. It is never easy, especially when it happens so suddenly. My best wishes to you and hugs!!

Great poems, nice to have them for any loss, beautiful!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts