Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve lurked here for a while and got my mini baby a few days ago at 10 weeks. She’s amazing, already pad trained, learned “sit” and “down”, and is quiet through the night in her crate now. Also turning into a little mitten stealer(!)
She came to us on Fromms puppy gold food, and I was thinking to switch her to something else once the breeders baggie ran out. I started yesterday using a sample bag of new food as training treats (hounds & gatos chicken) which she LOVED. Unfortunately I think she’s gotten an upset tummy, could hear her spitting up last night and she’s spit up a few times this morning.
She pooped and peed twice this morning on her pad and the stools were still firm. She has no appetite though so I’m sure her tummy’s still bothering her. :(
I may have jumped too early with feeding her too much? I worried when I got her as she seemed to have no interest in food, and thought it was the stress of travel, a new home and being separated from her littermates for the first time. She doesn’t eat from a bowl and seems to prefer a Kong or other dispenser toy. So it was encouraging to have her wanting to eat finally, but I’m afraid it may have backfired...
Any tips would be so appreciated. It’s been a while since I had a puppy, and this is my first poodle!

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your new puppy. It's probably best to stick with the food she is used to for the first few weeks. When you say "spitting"do you mean full blown vomiting, or is it froth and bile? I would watch her carefully, and read up on hypoglycaemia just in case. Watery rice with a very little chicken is a good stand by and will help soothe her tummy, but if she is vomiting repeatedly I would consult your vet - small pups can dehydrate quickly, and she may need anti-nausea medication.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
I shouldn’t have called it spit-up lol, but yes it was froth and clear bile.
I did the smarter and less panicked thing and looked around the forum for answers. She snarfed up some scrambled egg, then a few hours later went for her old food when I sprinkled some water over it. Her last poop just now is definitely more watery though so I think I’ll be reordering the fromms puppy and sticking to that for now. I think she agrees since she hasn’t wanted to touch that new kibble after being so excited about it yesterday!
Will definitely keep the chicken and rice in mind, and learn the signs of hypoglycaemia. I read a lot before getting her home but having her actually here and being responsible for her life is so much more daunting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mmm welcome! Yeah, it's different once you have the furball in your hands. Basil is still on the same puppy/Junior formula (SPOO) from the day she came home at 8 weeks, she's 10 months now. It's one less thing to worry about. Your doing great figuring things out. I definitely know that feeling of, "OMG IS MY BABY GOING TO DIE!!???" Our minds always go to the worst and extreme case scenario - and sometimes the worst case scenario is the reality. Fortunately, our poodles are pretty resilient.

Basil had a dip in her weight during the adjustment week at home with me prior to her first vet trip. Then the vet told me she was underweight and I felt a lot of guilt, naturally. So, I said leave it to me to plump my baby up.

Keep your vet's text line in your back pocket. They're going to be your best resource for the first few weeks while you get into the groove for the first 2-3 weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts