Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice for getting your first dog to like your second?
How long did it take for your two dogs to adjust and be friendly with one another?
I don’t expect Bella to be wholly thrilled since she’s been an only pup for a while.
id just like it if others could share their experiences.

We brought home Bella’s half sister today and let’s just say they’re both very feisty.
They got along great when they met but now that we’re in Bella’s territory, it’s a bit awkward.
Photos attached of Bella(phantom 9 months) and Paris (cream 9 weeks).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
I failed miserably at this, so I won't even attempt any advice. So let me just say:

AWWWWWWW. Paris is ridiculously cute!! What a sweet little crew you've got. Congratulations :)

I'm sure Bella will be just fine. You've done a great job socializing her.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I failed miserably at this, so I won't even attempt any advice. So let me just say:

AWWWWWWW. Paris is ridiculously cute!! What a sweet little crew you've got. Congratulations :)

I'm sure Bella will be just fine. You've done a great job socializing her.
?? oh boy. This is really a case of expectation vs reality. I hope the 3:3:3 rule can apply to us. I need them to at least be cordial after 3 days.

Paris is amazingly adorable. She looks like a teddybear ?.

I hope so. My sweet girl has turned into a territorial hooligan in 5 seconds, quite the shocker.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Found a thread with some helpful advice. I will try these things in the days to come and update this thread of mine in case anyone is curious about how this will turn out.

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
I need them to at least be cordial after 3 days.
Here's the thing - you really don't. Do you?

Take all the pressure off yourself and them! Create a separate confinement area for Paris, so Bella has plenty of breathing room, and let the relationship grow at its own pace.

Puppies are annoying. Tell Bella you get it and you've got her back. And work on establishing routines for Paris so she feels safe and secure. I do believe the rest will fall into place.

I've learned a lot since I last attempted a two-dog household. I'd do a lot differently now. But I have no current plans to try! You are one brave lady. ? I think it'll all be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the thing - you really don't. Do you?

Take all the pressure off yourself and them! Create a separate confinement area for Paris, so Bella has plenty of breathing room, and let the relationship grow at its own pace.

Puppies are annoying. Tell Bella you get it and you've got her back. And work on establishing routines for Paris so she feels safe and secure. I do believe the rest will fall into place.

I've learned a lot since I last attempted a two-dog household. I'd do a lot differently now. But I have no current plans to try! You are one brave lady. ? I think it'll all be worth it in the long run.
You’re right. I’ll let them take it at their own pace. They are such complicated beings, before owning a dog, especially a poodle, I never would’ve imagined.
I’ll just keep a monitoring eye and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
When I did this, my first in residence poodle was much older. This is copied from an older thread.

I brought a mini poo puppy into our home with a 13 year old mini poo already in residence. Missy, the 13 year old, was not consulted :).

This was over 30 years ago, so I don't remember how long it took, it wasn't quick, but they did become very good companions. At first, Missy did everything she could to avoid the puppy and then one day I realized that they were playing and chasing one another thru the house.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I was very lucky - I brought Poppy home when Sophy was around the same age as Bella, but Sophy was so desperate for a playmate her own size that she accepted Poppy immediately. Poppy was, and is, happy to submit to Sophy and follow her lead, which is the main reason it was so easy. Some other things that helped:
I introduced them at my sister's house, where we also stayed overnight.
When we got home Sophy started claiming toys, etc - "That one's mine!" "And that one...", "That's my best one!". I just kept putting more toys or treats out until she lost track - it seems at 9 months she could count up to 5.
I kept Sophy's routine going as far as possible, and made sure she got lots of one to one games and cuddles.
I started teaching turn taking almost immediately, naming each dog before handing out a treat.
I praised and rewarded polite behaviour and made sure Sophy could get a break when she needed one, but they were pretty evenly matched in size, energy and play style, and Sophy has always been good at being just firm enough with puppies, so there were not too many problems. She was unusually grown up for her age, which definitely made things easier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I did this, my first in residence poodle was much older. This is copied from an older thread.

I brought a mini poo puppy into our home with a 13 year old mini poo already in residence. Missy, the 13 year old, was not consulted :).

This was over 30 years ago, so I don't remember how long it took, it wasn't quick, but they did become very good companions. At first, Missy did everything she could to avoid the puppy and then one day I realized that they were playing and chasing one another thru the house.
This just gives me hope. I’m sure they’ll become good friends in time, Bella generally loves other dogs. We just need to get past the ‘there’s an intruder’ phase.

Oh my goodness! Paris is so adorable ? what a cute pair these girls are! Bella will soon realise this pup isn’t an intrusive visitor but a fun pal soon
Thank you! She’s so cute she looks unreal ?. I can’t wait for them to be buddies and for Bella to be so happy.

I was very lucky - I brought Poppy home when Sophy was around the same age as Bella, but Sophy was so desperate for a playmate her own size that she accepted Poppy immediately. Poppy was, and is, happy to submit to Sophy and follow her lead, which is the main reason it was so easy. Some other things that helped:
I introduced them at my sister's house, where we also stayed overnight.
When we got home Sophy started claiming toys, etc - "That one's mine!" "And that one...", "That's my best one!". I just kept putting more toys or treats out until she lost track - it seems at 9 months she could count up to 5.
I kept Sophy's routine going as far as possible, and made sure she got lots of one to one games and cuddles.
I started teaching turn taking almost immediately, naming each dog before handing out a treat.
I praised and rewarded polite behaviour and made sure Sophy could get a break when she needed one, but they were pretty evenly matched in size, energy and play style, and Sophy has always been good at being just firm enough with puppies, so there were not too many problems. She was unusually grown up for her age, which definitely made things easier.
I am shocked that this is Bella’s reaction. She is so patient and forgiving with other dogs. I think her reaction is so adverse because of how strongly she has bonded to me. She really doesn’t care when my husband is loving on Paris, but once Paris shows interest in me she gets mad. So I know in this regard it’ll take time.
I’ll just try to give momma’s girl some extra love and more fun walks with the both of us alone and I’m sure things will take their course.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Give them time. We've had multiple pets of various kinds living together and the beginning was never easy.

They go at their own pace - too slow for worried humans - but given time and patience they will reach an accommodation that works for them. On behalf of all the dumped humans out there, remember that staple of country music, you can't make a heart love somebody.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did this last year. I had an 8 month mini male and introduced a 2 month pup into our home. It went better than I expected as both enjoyed playing. I did do the initial meet at the breeders, with Finn meeting our younger pup 3 times before we brought him home. It was important to give them both their own space and to introduce turn taking using their names. My husband and I both made sure we had separate time with each pup and tried to keep to our existing routine that Finn was used to. Eden the puppy came out for walks with us right from the start as I bought a good carrier for him which he used to fall asleep in. This really allowed us to maintain the routine. Our two did get on well but we always closely monitored their interactions and made sure each dog had their own space. Eden the puppy would go to his crate if he was tired but very quickly decided sharing a bed with Finn was better. I’m sure given time and space your two will find their own way of getting along.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did this last year. I had an 8 month mini male and introduced a 2 month pup into our home. It went better than I expected as both enjoyed playing. I did do the initial meet at the breeders, with Finn meeting our younger pup 3 times before we brought him home. It was important to give them both their own space and to introduce turn taking using their names. My husband and I both made sure we had separate time with each pup and tried to keep to our existing routine that Finn was used to. Eden the puppy came out for walks with us right from the start as I bought a good carrier for him which he used to fall asleep in. This really allowed us to maintain the routine. Our two did get on well but we always closely monitored their interactions and made sure each dog had their own space. Eden the puppy would go to his crate if he was tired but very quickly decided sharing a bed with Finn was better. I’m sure given time and space your two will find their own way of getting along.
They engaged in a bit of rough play this morning. I made sure Paris sleeps in the crate so Bella has her turn. I’m sure with time they’ll be better. Today has been a lot better than last night so I’m sure we’ll be fine.

Awww sharing a bed. I can’t wait to see that. Can I see a photo of Finn and Eden?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here’s Finn (red) and Eden (brown) they’re 19 months and 13 months old.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I hope that Bella will warm up to that adorable Paris. We’ve never had more than one, so I envy you for having two adorable poodles! Keep us updated on your progress. It will happen.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Any advice for getting your first dog to like your second?
How long did it take for your two dogs to adjust and be friendly with one another?
I don’t expect Bella to be wholly thrilled since she’s been an only pup for a while.
id just like it if others could share their experiences.

We brought home Bella’s half sister today and let’s just say they’re both very feisty.
They got along great when they met but now that we’re in Bella’s territory, it’s a bit awkward.
Photos attached of Bella(phantom 9 months) and Paris (cream 9 weeks).
I have brought many new poodles in, and I found the best way for all to get along, is having a pecking order. I have 3 the on there the longest goes first on everything, then # 2 than # 3 and have never had a problem. This includes eating, out the door, picked up and put in bed, car on sofa, etc. They all wait their turn. Within the week everyone was fine, and I can leave them in the kitchen if I go out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope that Bella will warm up to that adorable Paris. We’ve never had more than one, so I envy you for having two adorable poodles! Keep us updated on your progress. It will happen.
They've been doing a lot better today. Drinking water from the same bowl at the same time and trying to eat each other’s food with no quarreling. I think they’ll be okay.
After getting Bella we couldn’t resist another one and we’ve always felt like she needed a friend so here we are ?.

I have brought many new poodles in, and I found the best way for all to get along, is having a pecking order. I have 3 the on there the longest goes first on everything, then # 2 than # 3 and have never had a problem. This includes eating, out the door, picked up and put in bed, car on sofa, etc. They all wait their turn. Within the week everyone was fine, and I can leave them in the kitchen if I go out.

I’ve been trying this but it’s difficult since Bella comes up on the couch when she wants and even when I try to feed her first she doesn’t want to eat her food. She’s more interested in Paris’. Puppies sure are weird. I’d be so happy to get my food before my sibling.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I brought an 8 week old puppy home a couple weeks ago and my 2 year old spoo reacted similarly. He definitely did not like this intruder in his house and wanted to take it back. He mostly ignored the puppy at first, but she’s very adamant about demanding his attention and I think he enjoys being looked up to.

It took him a couple of days to start warming up to her, but I wouldn’t say they’re totally bonded yet. One of the first signs that he had accepted her was when he intervened when one of his dog friends was making her uncomfortable; it was amazing to see. He has had to learn to tone his excitement down when playing so that she doesn’t get scared, but they’ve been great together lately! He has gotten to the point where he lets her roughhouse with him while he’s laying down and flaunts toys/sticks so she’ll chase him around the yard.
Definitely treats in turns, as others have mentioned, has been super helpful but now we’re at the point where I can put a few in my hand and they’ll share.

Personally, I think it’s important to let the older dog set boundaries without human intervention and scolding (growling is fine in my opinion). I’ve found this has made teaching puppy manners so much easier, but we’re still in the early stages.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I brought an 8 week old puppy home a couple weeks ago and my 2 year old spoo reacted similarly. He definitely did not like this intruder in his house and wanted to take it back. He mostly ignored the puppy at first, but she’s very adamant about demanding his attention and I think he enjoys being looked up to.

It took him a couple of days to start warming up to her, but I wouldn’t say they’re totally bonded yet. One of the first signs that he had accepted her was when he intervened when one of his dog friends was making her uncomfortable; it was amazing to see. He has had to learn to tone his excitement down when playing so that she doesn’t get scared, but they’ve been great together lately! He has gotten to the point where he lets her roughhouse with him while he’s laying down and flaunts toys/sticks so she’ll chase him around the yard.
Definitely treats in turns, as others have mentioned, has been super helpful but now we’re at the point where I can put a few in my hand and they’ll share.

Personally, I think it’s important to let the older dog set boundaries without human intervention and scolding (growling is fine in my opinion). I’ve found this has made teaching puppy manners so much easier, but we’re still in the early stages.

View attachment 465026
That is such a sweet picture of both of them. I think Bella worried me for nothing yesterday.

She spent majority of her day trying to get Paris to chase her and when she did they would not stop rolling around together.

I’ve seen them eating and drinking from the same bowls at the same time so I do believe we are on the beautiful road to friendship.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts