Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Can you,please,keep good vibes coming our way tomorrow.
My boy is getting neutered and is having gastropexy done as well.
I am in a state of panic here...how will I get him to and from the vehicle?
He will have stitches all over the place,I have no clue where to grab him.
I have an SUV and it is pretty high off the ground.
I guess the vet will show me.
One worried poodle mom here.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
GOOD VIBES HEADING YOUR WAY. Don't worry poodle mom, I'm sure all will go just fine tomorrow, and I'm sure you feel that way too or you wouldn't be having the surgeries done, but I definately understand your anxiety. SP? How long is his hospital stay? Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am leaving him at the vet around 8:30 AM.
Picking him up in the evening,I would imagine.
When my Gaby was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma,she had an emergency spleen removal and was sent home the same day.
My vet is not a big believer in pain killers,he thinks,that if the pain will be eliminated,the dog will be more ready to jump and play,resulting in a injury to the site of the surgery...stitches coming apart etc.
But...I am sure everything will be fine.
Just a normal anxiety about how he reacts to anesthesia etc.
Will keep you up to date as I know what's up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just found this thread, Spoofan. I'm thinking of Gunther and hoping he'll have an easy surgery (both) and a smooth recovery.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks guys.
He is at home now,groggy and tired.
He will not lay down.
He is falling asleep standing up.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I just read about his surgery. I hope he recover's well and you both get some rest.

Eli had his tail docked and dew's removed when he was 5 months old. When he came home he couldn't sit still and would not rest. Finally I had to start crating him in the livingroom. That was the only way I could get him to rest. He ended up spending most of three days in his crate for that reason. After the third day he started to be himself again and all was good from there.

Do you have a crate just in case?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well...my boy had a slumber party at the vet's.
I took him in last night,because he just would not get comfortable.
They gave him some sedatives to make him sleep.
Hopefully,I can go get him later on today.
As if that's not enough on my plate,we had another snowfall and I am cooking for 15 people tomorrow.
I hope,that all of you and your families have a wonderful holidays.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gunther had to spend the night at the vet's, Spoofan. I hope he'll be able to get comfortable when you get him home today. You sure do have a lot on your plate right now. Be careful on those roads.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My boy is recovering nicely.
Never had a male dog before,so I have to ask...neutering...it looks like it is still there,just empty and smaller.
Is that normal?
He has disolvable stitches in that area plus staples on the two small incisions,where his stomach was tacked.
By the way,if any of you need to keep a dog from chewing,licking a hot spot,post surgery etc....instead of using that plastic cone head,which makes the dog bang into things...just roll up a large towel,put it around the neck,secure with a good safety pin and it works like a charm.
It is also far more comfortable...like a built in pillow.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Glad to hear that your boy is home and recovering nicely. If it looks as if he still has testicles, I'm sure that it is because he is probably a little swollen, and will shrink up soon. Just keep an eye out for infection. He should be just fine. Aren't you glad that it is over? The towel thingy around the neck sounds great. We've had dogs go balistic from the cones.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Gunther is driving me crazy.
He is just bursting with energy.
The vet said...because of the gastropexy...he needs to stay calm for another week!!!!
He can't even walk calmly...he bounces around.
Attacks his bed,taunts me to play with him.

·
Registered
616 Posts
poor guy cant wait to get rid of some energy!! I know what bloat is, but should we do to avoid it? No eating after exercising? SOmeone please tell me!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Bloat is nasty.
The best thing is to 'google' it and do some research.
One thing,that I always kept on hand with standard poodles is some Gas-x or Phazyme.
At first signs of discomfort,I give a couple of 'gel' pills.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Anybody interested in a handsome,cream standard poodle?
He is such a pain in the....
I have to let him off leash to do number 2,he is very private that way.
He is galloping,sliding through the snow,jumping up,trying to catch his own shadow etc.
We are having the stitches removed tomorrow,it looks really good...however,I am concerned about his inside stitches healing properly.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
We are out of the woods.
Stitches(staples) are removed and he is good to go.
He needs to burn off some of that energy.
The snow has stopped,but was quickly replaced by heavy rain with no break in sight....not a good weather for a light coloured poodle.
He is going to get groomed on Friday,so I am hoping for better weather.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.