Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all. I have been visiting the forum for the past six months and decided it was time to join. We have two standard poodles: a five year old Majestic Red (Toulouse) and an eight month old Bijou Brown (Lautrec). Both dogs are beautiful with amazing temperaments. They bring us endless joy each day. As shared by my husband (Taxi) we have been thru a year of great learning and turmoil when we received an eight week old day blind standard. It is amazing what one can learn when faced with a little known or talked about canine disease, such as hemeralopia. Fortunately, in the end, our day blind boy was re-homed and we are in frequent contact with his new owners. We made many friends along the way in this journey. For the past five years, I have educated myself on all that is poodles. Over these past few months, I would share what I was reading on the poodle forum to my husband on our evening walks with the dogs. Finally, he couldn’t take it and joined himself … before me :). He has quickly learned who’s who as I would refer to the dogs by their names: Paris, Bindi, Enzo, et cetera. Perhaps my favorite area of the forum is the photos. The recent winter photos of all the dogs in the snow is so inspiring. Of course, we are here in the sunny state of Florida with no snow, but a lot of sunshine. It’s great to be here. Looking forward to the continued process of Life with Poodles.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome. Lovely dogs you have! I have to ask what area of Florida? Your home looks nice, older with the stone (I like it reminds me of homes back north PA)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Greetings to all. I have been visiting the forum for the past six months and decided it was time to join. We have two standard poodles: a five year old Majestic Red (Toulouse) and an eight month old Bijou Brown (Lautrec). Both dogs are beautiful with amazing temperaments. They bring us endless joy each day. As shared by my husband (Taxi) we have been thru a year of great learning and turmoil when we received an eight week old day blind standard. It is amazing what one can learn when faced with a little known or talked about canine disease, such as hemeralopia. Fortunately, in the end, our day blind boy was re-homed and we are in frequent contact with his new owners. We made many friends along the way in this journey. For the past five years, I have educated myself on all that is poodles. Over these past few months, I would share what I was reading on the poodle forum to my husband on our evening walks with the dogs. Finally, he couldn’t take it and joined himself … before me :). He has quickly learned who’s who as I would refer to the dogs by their names: Paris, Bindi, Enzo, et cetera. Perhaps my favorite area of the forum is the photos. The recent winter photos of all the dogs in the snow is so inspiring. Of course, we are here in the sunny state of Florida with no snow, but a lot of sunshine. It’s great to be here. Looking forward to the continued process of Life with Poodles.
Welcome to yet another red poodle lover YAAAA!!! We too have Majestic lines...WELCOME

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome. The photo of our boys in front of the house is a B&B in Asheville that we visit each fall. I wish it were my home! It is beautiful.We've been visiting B&B's with our standards for years. They are always well mannered and we feel fortunate of their gentlemanly qualities.
Poodles are such amazing travel companions.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Would you mind sharing what bloodlines the blind puppy was from?? Thank you.
I was just going to ask this. There is a well known kennel that has produced day blindness before and I was curious if this dog came from it. Also, can I see your Brown boy's pedigree? I want to see if he is related to another brown dog I know.

BTW... welcome.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The day blind puppy we previously owned is part of a day blindness study being conducted at The University of Missouri http://dayblind.org . Pedigree information can be found at http://dayblind.org/Articles.html. Hope this helps.
Very nice that this information is available on line for all to see. thanks for sharing.. And thanks for participating in this study to help other along the way ...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The day blind puppy we previously owned is part of a day blindness study being conducted at The University of Missouri http://dayblind.org . Pedigree information can be found at http://dayblind.org/Articles.html. Hope this helps.
Very interesting article. Thank you. I had heard about the Arizona poodles, but I had never read her article. I found a dog common in all the pedigrees. It will be interesting to see if this is a mutation coming down from one dog or if it a wider spread problem in the Parti lines.

BTW.... I'd still love to see the pedigree on your Brown boy.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I'm still educating myself on genetics, pedigrees, etc... I know that your day-blind puppy was a brown puppy (from a previous post by Taxi.) When I went to the link you posted for pedigree info, it appears the pups there are partis. Is this the litter your puppy came from??

I'm thankful every day for the health and heartiness of all of my family (pets & people alike!) I had a mini dachshund who fought canine lupus for 4.5 years and we just lost her last spring because of complications from her meds (she had been diagnosed with bladder cancer, too - just before that) I never begrudged a single minute or dollar spent in our journey with Meika, but it's definitely more difficult to have a health-challenged pet. I hope the puppy is doing well in his/her? new home!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm still educating myself on genetics, pedigrees, etc... I know that your day-blind puppy was a brown puppy (from a previous post by Taxi.) When I went to the link you posted for pedigree info, it appears the pups there are partis. Is this the litter your puppy came from??

I'm thankful every day for the health and heartiness of all of my family (pets & people alike!) I had a mini dachshund who fought canine lupus for 4.5 years and we just lost her last spring because of complications from her meds (she had been diagnosed with bladder cancer, too - just before that) I never begrudged a single minute or dollar spent in our journey with Meika, but it's definitely more difficult to have a health-challenged pet. I hope the puppy is doing well in his/her? new home!
All the pedigrees are mentioned in the articles, the brown pup is the Florida pup.

It is quite amazing the level of trust you can build together. We (the pup, Toulouse & I ) run as hard and fast as we could and the pup would run just as fearlessly not seeing anything. We really got a sense of how much dogs rely on their hearing and smell for their surroundings. You would never know he was blind. Now there was this other side of him, we called him a little Vampire because at night he became very energetic, he could see and was very nippy. :) The Florida sun was not good for him. It is like staring at the sun, I am told. The pup is doing well in his new home.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brown Boy Pedigree

In reference to lineage, our brown standard Lautrec’s parents are: Java and Hershey from Bijou Standard Poodles. Detailed info about his parents is provided on Bijou’s website which is packed with useful information about genetics, grooming, training and breeding. We have had a very positive experience with our breeder. She has been so responsive and encourages all puppy owners to seek classes and training . Today, we received a monetary incentive just for completing STAR Puppy with our boy. Wow! We feel very good about our pup’s early socialization and parentage after driving from Florida to Canada to pick up our pup. We were able to see for ourselves where he was born, meet the dam, siblings and the breeder in person. Her home was impeccably clean and organized and we loved that none of the dogs spend their days in a traditional kennel atmosphere. They were/are raised in the home. We were also able to meet several pups from a previous litter with our boy’s parents. They were so beautiful in person. Today our brown boy looks just as stunning. He has an amazing personality and is afraid of little. He seems very grounded and at peace with the world, but still has a lot of spunk. Lautrec’s lineage has some historical roots; in particular, the Dassin line. After years of visiting our breeders website, reading every reference letter posted, watching the growth of litters and reading the volumes of information provided on the site, our Bijou Brown Boy “Lautrec” is all that we could have dreamed of.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts