Poodle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've brought home an 8 week old miniature poodle last week called Ciro.

He's settled into our home so well, is a bundle of joy, very cute, and very intelligent, but as first time dog owners we're not sure about a couple of things and was hoping you guys could help.

Our puppy's tail is almost always resting tight onto his back, to the extent that his fur in that area has a deep indent. Is this something that he'll grow out of, and will he start wagging his tail at some point?

Another question is about his fur, it's not super thick, especially on his forehead, will his coat thicken significantly over time? Could this be a sign of some kind of issue?

He's resting really well, is already trained to go toilet outside, and understands sit and stay so I'm confident he's okay, and seems to have bonded with us well already but just a bit nervous as I've read that the tail could be a sign of spinal issues?

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Companion dog

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
OOH cute fluffy puppy! Enjoy the softness while you have it. His hair will get thicker and curlier. During the transition period, aka the Dreaded Coat Change, you may find his hair turns into felted tangles almost instantly. After that stage is done he will have a more wiry adult coat. His curly tail is probably permanent. One of my dogs has a very similar tail. I started a thread with pictures of it in action here. My guy was a very cheerful puppy and twirled his tail like a propeller until his hair got too long and thick. Now his tail does a more subdued side to side wag.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Our puppy's tail is almost always resting tight onto his back, to the extent that his fur in that area has a deep indent. Is this something that he'll grow out of, and will he start wagging his tail at some point?

Another question is about his fur, it's not super thick, especially on his forehead, will his coat thicken significantly over time? Could this be a sign of some kind of issue?
He’s so cute, just an adorable little ball of fluff.

As Cowpony points out the tail will probably remain curled. It would be a major fault in a dog in conformation, but as a pet, it’s an adorable quirky tail. My apricot puppy Theo had a curve to his tail, not as much as your puppy but as he grew I noticed his tail straighten up more so he holds it up straight and sometimes with a slight curve. I don’t think yours will straighten out, but I do think as he grows and gains muscle he will start using it more to express emotions and the shape will vary and he may not curl as tightly to his back. Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal

Enjoy the soft puppy fluff which should be easy to take care of. As he grows it will become thicker, denser and change to his adult coat. Certain colors of poodles are more likely to have very thick wiry dense coats such as black, white, silver and blue. Others colors like apricot tend to be a little softer, less wiry and less dense. This is a generalization. It will definitely be thicker. Not an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOH cute fluffy puppy! Enjoy the softness while you have it. His hair will get thicker and curlier. During the transition period, aka the Dreaded Coat Change, you may find his hair turns into felted tangles almost instantly. After that stage is done he will have a more wiry adult coat. His curly tail is probably permanent. One of my dogs has a very similar tail. I started a thread with pictures of it in action here. My guy was a very cheerful puppy and twirled his tail like a propeller until his hair got too long and thick. Now his tail does a more subdued side to side wag.
Ah thanks for the reply, I see in your thread that you mention your dog's tail is also straight over the spine and leaves an imprint in the fur too, makes me feel more at ease now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He’s so cute, just an adorable little ball of fluff.

As Cowpony points out the tail will probably remain curled. It would be a major fault in a dog in conformation, but as a pet, it’s an adorable quirky tail. My apricot puppy Theo had a curve to his tail, not as much as your puppy but as he grew I noticed his tail straighten up more so he holds it up straight and sometimes with a slight curve. I don’t think yours will straighten out, but I do think as he grows and gains muscle he will start using it more to express emotions and the shape will vary and he may not curl as tightly to his back. View attachment 487763

Enjoy the soft puppy fluff which should be easy to take care of. As he grows it will become thicker, denser and change to his adult coat. Certain colors of poodles are more likely to have very thick wiry dense coats such as black, white, silver and blue. Others colors like apricot tend to be a little softer, less wiry and less dense. This is a generalization. It will definitely be thicker. Not an issue.
Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you all!

Hope you're feeling a bit reassured by the responses :).

Fair warning on a thing or so...

Your vigilance is most likely what's helping him not eliminate in the house. Their developmental stages are very similar to human infants, just compressed in time.

Typically it's around 4m old before they recognize the physical urge to eliminate and the idea to alert their family but typically not until 6m that they can put together feeling the need and being able to hold it until they can notify their family.

No need to feel disappointed if you find he's not fully housetrained quite yet.

I'm sure he's settling in well but as first timers, it can be hard to understand the vast sea change he's still going thru. This short article put's things nicely into his POV.
Kidnapped From Planet Dog - Whole Dog Journal (whole-dog-journal.com)

I'd bet his tail will be wagging soon :) He's just adorable!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Winnie's tail is always curled up and over her back. She does also straighten it sometimes and wags it often but it mainly sits up there. I keep her in a short clip now but I leave her tail hair long so it looks like a fluffy pom pom to make it look a bit thicker. She was super fluffy as a puppy and she still has a very soft coat now but its curlier and there are areas that are a bit more crispier crunchy curls and more dense. Keeping her hair short makes grooming easier for me. It was a nightmare when she was a puppy as it grew really long and we were in lockdown at the time so couldn't get her cut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts