Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
She is so adorable with her button nose! But I believe you have a silverbelle and not a bluebelle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! Starla, I am so new at this. The color possibilities overwhelm me, but I keep reading, reading all I can.
Please explain the difference and how you can tell I might have a silver vs blue?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Hi!

I'm in the silver camp also :).

Silvers always start clearing very early and when their face is shaved, the color difference is very noticeable. Blues are much slower to start clearing tho their faces may look slightly lighter when shaved at this age.
A black's face will look the same color as the rest of the fur even after being shaved. (There is a picture somewhere in this forum which shows three pups side by each, one black, one blue. one silver, but I cannot find it!)

The Rainbow threads will have plenty of photos for you to look at here Poodle Rainbow

Predicting colors in poodles does have some rules, but the full genetic story has yet to unfold. This is my go-to site for a layman's understanding of the various colors and what happens when breeding certain colors.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Lovely puppy! Chiming in with others that you have a silver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So much to learn! Thank you for the links. I have perused the Arpeggio site many times over. So informative and fascinating. I will check on the Rainbow link.
Peggy, I have 'Silver Bells' stuck in my head too. That has made me laugh so much to know my bluebell may be a silverbell, ha.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am thinking the flash on the camera made the color on her muzzle look lighter than it actually is. When I look at her now, it does not seem that light, but more of a dark blue.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
Blue or silver she is a very pretty girl - welcome to you both.

Reactions: Silverbelle

·
Registered
230 Posts
It could be, but I think my puppy is going to be blue and her face is dark dark still at 4.5 months old. From what I’ve seen, if you’re seeing a color difference in the face as young as your puppy is, it will be silver. I’m far from an expert though! It will be fun to watch her grow. 😊

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
She's adorable. She looks silver to me too, but lighting can play a role. When puppies faces are shaved, if their face is as black as the rest of the body they will remain black. Silver poodles will have lighter grey shade than blue but it's easier to see if you have a blue and silver puppy next to each other.

Either way you'll know because the silver will start to lighten earlier than a blue. I have a silver and both colors are gorgeous.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Third pic is taken up camping. Totally ungroomed and unshaved. Since my 'silverbelle' Spoo is has only been with me two days, I will let you know later an answer to your question

·
Premium Member
9,996 Posts
Congratulations on your adorable puppy! Her muzzle is dramatically lighter, so I’m also guessing silver, but really the breeder should know. If you were told blue... Looking forward to your journey together, whatever the color.

Your Chinese Cresteds are so cool! I mean this as a compliment and reference - they seem like a dog Dr. Seuss might have imagined. What are their temperaments like?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts