Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Boudica and Sophie have just joined!

Sophie is our adorable 5 year old toy poodle. Sadly she is going through a rough patch with having slippy kneecap diagnosed. She`s normally happy playing and running around our garden and bungalow. I am paraplegic and unable to walk her.

A new carer asked if she could walk Sophie recently. So I agreed, but she must`ve over done it and hence the knee problem.

We have only just got her comfortable and moving without crying after several days. Vet has put her on anti-inflammatories and they seem to be working.

We are hoping an operation wont be needed, to correct the problem, but are worried as Sophie bit her stitches out after spaying and her bowel fell out. This was 4 years ago and we almost lost her.

A previous poodle we had, called Poochi, had the knee op.

Any advice please?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Welcome! Poor Sophie. My guy suffers from this, too, and it’s painful to watch when it pops out. He usually gets pretty quiet when it happens a couple of days after the fact. It sounds like Sophie may be sore from the walk, and should recover fairly well. An exercise increase, however small, likely made caused the issue become inflamed and worse than it actually is. Strenuous activity is what causes Fluffy’s to act out, and his actually popped the first time after sliding on ice. The vet, however, recommended that we walk him daily to build muscle around the knee and therefore lengthen the amount of time he has decent knees. We also feed him joint supplements. If you can, I’d suggest having someone come and walk her once a day, a little longer at a time, over a flat surface, until she’s walking about 1.5 kilometers. I usually pick Fluffy up if the incline becomes too steep. I hope this helps, and that she gets better soon!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Poor Sophie and poor you! I would look at exercises to strengthen her muscles - short steady walking is good, and there are other exercises you can encourage her to do in the house, like going up and down stairs and Sit/Stand: How to avoid luxating patella surgery for your dog and prevent painful complications

Talk to your vet first, of course, and perhaps involve your kind new carer in developing a treatment plan with carefully graded walks, and a gradual increase in activity.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Sophie! and please say hello to your carer!
Good information above and I hope Sophie is feeling no worse for wear soon.

Reactions: Boudica
1 - 9 of 9 Posts