Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got my beautiful Ruby 2 years ago and I guess that's when I started reading this forum. This forum has provided me with thoughtful and helpful information especially regarding grooming. I've been grooming Ruby since she was 8 weeks old. Poor Ruby has had some interesting haircuts :)

I fell so in love with her I started a YouTube channel Dog With A View that is Ruby's channel. It provides a way for me to store the beautiful memories we have together.

And, please don't hold it against me but I'm a dog trainer of 10 yrs. :bolt:
Ruby and I have so much fun training. Ruby, also helps other dogs learn manners on Sit Up N Listen Dog Training channel. She is my first poodle and I'm a proud mom of everything she does.

I'm looking forward to meeting and sharing in this forum.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome! I'm also new here. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures with Ruby.

Reactions: Dog With A View

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops sorry for posting links in my signature. I took them out. Please let me know if I need to do anything else. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see the links are still there. I preview my signature and did submit but not sure what else to do to get my signature to update without the links. ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Testing, testing. Ok, I previewed then saved without the links. Let's see...

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! Glad you have stopped 'lurking' and have decided to join in! Hope to see pics of Ruby in action! Your contributions to our 'family', in your field,will be welcomed!

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
pf rule 8 basically states no self-promotion, though it is possible to sign up as a paid advertiser. links to other non-self-promotional websites, etc., appear to be permissible at this time. many at pf link to training guides, newsletter articles, food warnings, research, etc. don't be discouraged from doing so. and welcome.

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts
Having now completely finished grading for my summer microbiology course that ended late last week I had some time to look at your YouTube channel and your business site as well as doing a search on Sit Means Sit Remote Training. I'm a bit perplexed that you seem to have such heavy reliance on e collars (shock collars). Although I have e collars for my dogs I only use the tone as a positive marker for distance work and the bark detection vibration where the dog decides what level of feedback it will take to stop barking. This style of training (aversive/coercive) is highly controversial and not in keeping with the training methods that most of us at PF are likely to use. To be transparent about how I train. I do use pinch collars, but only under certain circumstances, and can readily take them off any of my dogs that is wearing one with no problem. Can you please explain why you use these techniques. Most evidence I've looked at about such aversive and coercive techniques suggests they often create more problems than they solve. I never recommend them to any of my performance teams or to my pet clients. Most, like 99.9%, of people don't have the impeccable timing on the correction for the dog to really understand what is being done to them.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
dog with a view, if you do a search, there are threads by a non-active right now member who used an electric collar to train a deaf dog and give him a better life than he would have had otherwise - imo, of course, because i have heard several stories of deaf puppies being put down. i can't remember the dog's breed, but he was a large dog - for some reason i am visualizing a black and white great dane. anyway, the threads are very interesting for anyone using electric collar training.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not wish this thread to turn into an "e-collar" debate. It is a very divisive topic. This is the reason I don't join forums because I don't feel welcome. It's been several years since I've joined a forum and I thought I would try again with poodleforum.

To answer your questions...

I've spent 10 years honing all of my skills using many different methodologies. I'm an e-collar trainer and very proud of my chosen profession, along with being a nurse (this skillset helps with coaching families) and a mom. I advise anyone seeking a dog trainer to please do an in-depth analysis evaluating training methods and the outcomes. Make sure you are comfortable before hiring. Not every e-collar trainer uses the tool in the same way. Everyone has a different level of skill with e-collar equipment.

I'm transparent with my company producing daily in-depth videos on YouTube (they are long some 15 minutes or more) during the 2-week board and trains. Each evening pet parents can look at their dog's progress and see their family member is also healthy and happy. Pet parents are very happy they can watch each evening and have expressed great joy at seeing these videos.

Early on in my career I did group classes, in-home training, etc. I learned that the average pet owner and dog trainers that wanted to learn how to use "the tool" did not have the ability to use it correctly. As you mentioned timing is very important along with to many other variables to name. So I stopped offering these types of training sessions.

I decided several years ago to only offer a 2-week board and train. This took the burden off of the pet parents to train their puppy / dog. This eliminated the need to "learn the tool" at the same time, learn how dog's communicated, etc. After 2-weeks, the dog is fully trained off leash along with other goals requested by the pet parents. At the end of 2-weeks I give one lesson about an hour and so far that's all that the pet parents have requested--they are go to go with their new lifestyle. I'm available for the lifetime of the dog but over 10 years I've gotten probably a 1/2 dozen calls and usually for new behaviors to assist with. The pet parents are able to work the equipment with a fully trained dog no problem and are so happy. It's all about education in use of the tool and how it works for a specific dog. It does not work on all dogs.

The majority of my customers have already sustained injuries from their dogs or have expressed that they want to re-home their puppy / dog. As a nurse, some of the injuries have required very expensive surgeries and very painful recovery periods. Training a dog is very cheap compared to back surgery costs.

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that many families are mis-matched with the puppy / dog they have chosen. Some injuries were sustained because of the mis-match. That's a different thread for a different time.

I do not do "volume dog training". I'm focused on quality and train fewer dogs and make sure I'm always available to the pet parents. Customer service is very important to me. I love getting up each morning and feeling good about helping pet parents through delivering a quality service.

A well trained dog off leash is also very important in what I do. Off leash recall is the number one requested command. I specialize in off leash distraction training. This is best accomplished with an e-collar. It allows me to communicate with the dog and extend training over great distance, for long duration, and in high distractions. It's what I love to do!

If I get the feeling through the poodleforum members that I'm not welcome because I'm an e-collar trainer. No problem, I understand. It's happened to me on other forums and also over the past 10 years as I work out in public as a distraction trainer. I've enjoyed the forum, in the past and read frequently. I own a standard poodle and I thought maybe by joining I could post and get some feedback on topics like grooming, health, etc.

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts
Thank you for your well considered and thoughtful answer to my questions. I understand much more about what your goals and the reasoning behind your methods are now. I do a small amount of in home private training with people who do have behavior problems, but generally refer people who call me who have been hurt by their dog or are considering rehoming to a behaviorist since there are a couple of good ones in my area. Since I don't feel my own timing on an e collar correction to be good enough to teach a client to understand the timing.

It truly was not my intention to make an e collar controversy out of your introduction, but since this was the only thread you had posted in at the time I asked I actually thought it would be less controversial to ask here as opposed to starting a new thread specifically on the subject.

Even Ian Dunbar told me once when I was at a workshop he ran that he thought there was a place for e collars in training a dog whose life was in jeopardy without its careful use.

BTW I agree with you that many people are not well matched to the dogs they choose, case in point being an older diabetic woman who is sort of shaky on her feet who was allowed to adopt a mastiff mix puppy from a rescue organization. This now essentially nice dog weighs 75 pounds and has been allowed to do essentially anything he wants most of the last 6 months. He has good bite inhibition and wants to please, so we are making progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for your well considered and thoughtful answer to my questions. I understand much more about what your goals and the reasoning behind your methods are now. I do a small amount of in home private training with people who do have behavior problems, but generally refer people who call me who have been hurt by their dog or are considering rehoming to a behaviorist since there are a couple of good ones in my area. Since I don't feel my own timing on an e collar correction to be good enough to teach a client to understand the timing.

It truly was not my intention to make an e collar controversy out of your introduction, but since this was the only thread you had posted in at the time I asked I actually thought it would be less controversial to ask here as opposed to starting a new thread specifically on the subject.

Even Ian Dunbar told me once when I was at a workshop he ran that he thought there was a place for e collars in training a dog whose life was in jeopardy without its careful use.

BTW I agree with you that many people are not well matched to the dogs they choose, case in point being an older diabetic woman who is sort of shaky on her feet who was allowed to adopt a mastiff mix puppy from a rescue organization. This now essentially nice dog weighs 75 pounds and has been allowed to do essentially anything he wants most of the last 6 months. He has good bite inhibition and wants to please, so we are making progress.
Appreciate your thoughts.

I couldn't post anywhere else on poodleforum without posting an introduction first. If I understood the rules of the forum correctly--every new member must post an introduction prior to posting anywhere else in the forum.

Reactions: EVpoodle

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts
Appreciate your thoughts.

I couldn't post anywhere else on poodleforum without posting an introduction first. If I understood the rules of the forum correctly--every new member must post an introduction prior to posting anywhere else in the forum.

That is correct. I hope you will be active. I am sure you have had interesting experiences. Most of the training I do is performance sport orientated, obedience and rally. I am also a CGC evaluator.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Welcome. You can now post on other topics or start them yourself now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts