Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum. I live in Southern California and I have a 7 year old chihuahua, but looking into getting a standard poodle in the new future. I’m really excited to learn as much as I can about the breed and all that it takes in raising a well behaved and healthy poodle. Any suggestions are welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Hello and welcome !

I lost my girl Chihuahua in june 2017. I still miss her greatly.

Have you ever had a bigger dog with your Chihuahua ? I’ve had all sizes with mine and the only one she was really comfortable with was my toy poodle.

We didn’t realize it until our 22 pound dog had to be rehomed. The day she was gone, my Chihuahua’s whole demeanor and temperament changed. She blossomed and she was herself again. She started doing the zoomies in the house again and just being silly. It hit us that she was scared of being stepped on or hurt by her bigger sister and had just adapted as to not get chased or inadvertently knocked over. It was really sad that she had felt fear all those years and we never realized it.

I hope you considered this in your choice of a standard. Chihuahuas are fragile little creatures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome !

I lost my girl Chihuahua in june 2017. I still miss her greatly.

Have you ever had a bigger dog with your Chihuahua ? I’ve had all sizes with mine and the only one she was really comfortable with was my toy poodle.

We didn’t realize it until our 22 pound dog had to be rehomed. The day she was gone, my Chihuahua’s whole demeanor and temperament changed. She blossomed and she was herself again. She started doing the zoomies in the house again and just being silly. It hit us that she was scared of being stepped on or hurt by her bigger sister and had just adapted as to not get chased or inadvertently knocked over. It was really sad that she had felt fear all those years and we never realized it.

I hope you considered this in your choice of a standard. Chihuahuas are fragile little creatures.

Thank you for the advice Dechi. The only other big dog she is around is my mothers Cocker Spaniel mix; who is about 13 years old and partially blind. But I will definitely have to take into consideration the size difference between the two breeds and how they will inter act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
My chihuahua does not like my st poodle, he is very afraid of him. My chihuahua is 16 years old and has had some health issues on handoff, we really did not think he would still be with us, but he is. I keep them separate , the chihuahua stays in my bedroom for the most part, this is where he likes to be and will stay in his crate. When my poodle is in there with me, the chi's crate is closed but if the poodle gets close the chi lays his ears back gets on his hind legs and never stops barking. After I yell a few times and keep the poodle from getting too close its ok. I could not let him free with the poodle. St poodles I have learned have a lot of energy, mine is 11 months old and still full of it. LOL Its fun but he would unintentionally hurt the poodle. Chihuahuas usually live a very long time, you may want to think about this more.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
My chihuahua does not like my st poodle, he is very afraid of him. My chihuahua is 16 years old and has had some health issues on handoff, we really did not think he would still be with us, but he is. I keep them separate , the chihuahua stays in my bedroom for the most part, this is where he likes to be and will stay in his crate. When my poodle is in there with me, the chi's crate is closed but if the poodle gets close the chi lays his ears back gets on his hind legs and never stops barking. After I yell a few times and keep the poodle from getting too close its ok. I could not let him free with the poodle. St poodles I have learned have a lot of energy, mine is 11 months old and still full of it. LOL Its fun but he would unintentionally hurt the poodle. Chihuahuas usually live a very long time, you may want to think about this more.
I’m glad you keep them separated. A standard could easily severely injure a Chihuahua, even kill it.

I would never have those two breeds together. I miss my Chi so much, hopefully I get another one someday but it will have to be with another small breed.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Size differences can definitely be important for the smaller dog! My mom's mpoo is small, just standing at a little over 11". He is definitely very cautious when at our house. He likes Lily well enough, but is very very wary of Peeves and Javelin stepping on him. When he stays for extended visits I leave him with Lily but not the others.

Reactions: IyeshaW

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
It is amazingly stressful mixing sizes, Iyesha. I live with three large dogs and three toy breeds and in an ideal world, I would just have one size of dog. The little dogs get extremely irritated or scared of the big dogs stepping on them. And our large dogs are pretty careful where they put their feet, but accidents happen and the littles have been stepped on. It's also really challenging walking a toy breed and a spoo at the same time. So, I don't want to discourage your dream--and nothing stopped me in pursing spoos when I already had a Maltese--but, it won't be easy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts