Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So glad I found this forum!

Our family is bringing home our first ever puppy in a month time, a brown standard poodle little fella`.

A little about us: me and my husband, 3 kids (5-10 yo), live in Norway, first time dog owner hence first time poodle owners.
We were planning on getting a puppy next year but because of this pandemic we had to cancel all vacation plans and will be pretty much staying/and working from home until august/september so we preponed our puppy plans.

Hopefully we`ll find good advice on this forup and share our moments with other more experienced poodle owners!

Registered
Hello and welcome,
A silver lining for sure bringing home a pup during this crazy time. This forum is a wonderful source of all things poodle. As much about day to day stories to solid advice on proper care. And the people are very caring. I'm so glad I found it too.
once again, welcome

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the kind replies!

Crazy times these are for sure..Can鈥檛 wait to bring him home鉂
Have not settled for a name but a few suggestions has popped up: Teddy, Hiro, and my personal favorite: Truls (which is an 眉ber Norwegian old mans name馃槀 but has a good ring to it).
After having three babies in house I鈥檓 slightly worried though about a puppy...we have heard so many horrible stories that they鈥檙e much worse than having children馃槺

Super Moderator
Welcome! I bet your kids (and you) will be so happy to have a puppy to distract them while so many regular activities are curtailed.

Yeah, puppies can be challenging. However, when it's the end of the day, and they've broken yet another sentimental object...you can stick them in a crate with their dinner, pour a glass of wine, and nobody will report you to the social services authorities. 馃か

Premium Member
Welcome! You will find poodles to be loving, active and intelligent. Surf through the forum and you will find much good advice. Also, feel free to post questions - this is a great community and all have been very supportive of me and my boy, Asta

Registered
Yeah, puppies can be challenging. However, when it's the end of the day, and they've broken yet another sentimental object...you can stick them in a crate with their dinner, pour a glass of wine, and nobody will report you to the social services authorities.
My understanding is crating your dog is actually illegal in Scandinavian countries. :oops:

Is that true in Norway, TheHoz?

Whatever training methods you use, I look forward to seeing photos of your little guy and hearing all the fun puppy stories. :) They're challenging, for sure, but very rewarding. I'm not sure what I'd do without a dog to love.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you again for all the response馃憦馃徑

Not sure wether crate is actually illegal or not馃 We鈥檙e not going to have one though. I was hoping we could have training classes but all have been cancelled because of this awful virus. So what we have to settle with is online tutorials which is meh...We want our puppy to meet other dogs and ppl. Luckily we live in an area where there are amazing trails that are packed with ppl nowadays anyways. So hopefully he鈥檒l be able to socialize plenty馃槉

Registered
Such an adorable puppy! Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new addition to the family. You鈥檙e already one step ahead by being here! 馃槈

We just got a puppy recently and didn鈥檛 use a crate either. In 3 weeks or so she was potty trained, sleeping through the night, knew to sit patiently and follow me around, and was chewing on bully sticks instead of biting me. The first couple of nights were understandably rough for her (and us) but things got better fast. We have an older dog that also helped with the training, but training him was also a joy. I鈥檇 say mine enjoy short training sessions throughout the day rather than longer focused ones. Poodles are incredible and they鈥檒l adapt to your lifestyle quicker than you might expect. I鈥檇 recommend watching the Stonie Dennis puppy series on YouTube. He has great advice for how to 鈥渇ree shape鈥 a well-mannered puppy.

Remember that socialization can also happen at a distance. I鈥檇 encourage you to balance the puppy meeting new people/dogs with focusing on you when people/dogs go by. That way they don鈥檛 grow up expecting to meet everyone they see. It helps tremendously for off leash training in the future if they know to check in with you before approaching something.

I鈥檇 also recommend reading up on dog behavior and body language so that you can learn to read your puppy and other dogs. A wagging tail doesn鈥檛 always mean that a dog is happy and has good intentions. It helps tremendously in understanding when it might not be a good idea to let them meet, when to intervene, and when they鈥檙e just having fun (even if it sounds scary), among other things.

Best of luck and enjoy the early days. They grow out of those razor sharp teeth soo fast.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
@VanessaC Cheers for a lot of good information!

I did read quite a few books about dog behavior and different breeds. Unfortunately I was 12 years old馃槀 Hopefully It鈥檒l make it easier to refresh my memory at the age of 36馃ゴ I think I might have an unrealistic positive expectation of getting such a young dog, a baby really, when what I should really expect is hellraise...
We鈥檙e not able to visit the puppy before bringing him home because the breeder lives in Trondheim - 7 hours drive from us who live in Baerum (if anyone wants to geek out and actually Google it) I know it鈥檚 not the best situation but it鈥檚 a registered breeder with all paperwork and everything in order. What we asked of her was if she could pick the pup that鈥檚 not the most alpha but also not the meekest. What she said was the last (and only) litter, in which she kept a BEAUTIFUL boy herself, were all very calm and collected.

Let鈥檚 hope our boy is just that!

• I need to check out somewhere in this forum and read up on the absolute necessities we need to have before bringing him home!

Registered
  • I need to check out somewhere in this forum and read up on the absolute necessities we need to have before bringing him home!
Here's a recent thread on just that subject :). Adapt as needed.

Registered
One challenge to keep in mind during this quarantine is actually teaching the pup to be alone. When things are normal again for the rest of his life it could be a bad situation if he doesn鈥檛 learn to be alone. Not using a crate may make this more difficult but it is something to keep in mind as you work with your new baby. Puppies can be trying but it is also a very fun time of learning and bonding as well 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a recent thread on just that subject :). Adapt as needed.

That鈥檚 golden! Thank you 馃槉馃憤馃徑

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
One challenge to keep in mind during this quarantine is actually teaching the pup to be alone. When things are normal again for the rest of his life it could be a bad situation if he doesn鈥檛 learn to be alone. Not using a crate may make this more difficult but it is something to keep in mind as you work with your new baby. Puppies can be trying but it is also a very fun time of learning and bonding as well 馃槉
Right, for sure we need to do separation training (is that what it鈥檚 called?). When the world goes back to normal, our pooch needs to adapt to a routine that goes roughly like this: alone from 8am - 1.30/2 pm when our two oldest gets home from school. It鈥檚 going to take a lot training, starting with a few moments at a time, to get him used to that. He鈥檒l be around 5 months old when this鈥檒l actually take place (we think as everyone who can work from home will have to work from home the next 3-4 months probably).

Premium Member
Welcome to you and that darling puppy! I had a crate but my Spoo, Buck, used his piteous crying on my husband, to get the run of a tiled kitchen and hall, blocked off from the rest of the house. Accidents were easily cleaned, and we didn鈥檛 have a lot of those. Timed or meal gauged potty outings and lots of treats and praise worked. Later, I did have to re-train to being okay in the crate. Standards are rather slow to mature, 2-3 years, so you鈥檝e got time for lots of experiences after quarantine. He鈥檚 going to be with your family most of the time, so work on training the basics of a companion dog. Lily CD has a good thread on that here. I like Kiko Pup on YouTube. We鈥檝e got your back:)

Registered
Congratulations. Your puppy is adorable.

Do include your children when training the puppy. It鈥檚 a good experience for them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Guys thank you all so much for all your supportive and informative responds!

I appreciate it so much鉂

I will probably be posting much more questions and perhaps also let out some frustration when we get Samson!

Yes we have finally settled on a name and don鈥檛 you believe another couple that are bringing home a brown pup from the same litter are doing the same馃ぃ
So our breeder has now got to figure out a way to register two Samsons from the same litter in the Norwegian Kennel Club馃憤馃徑

1 - 19 of 19 Posts