Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Pinot, standard poodle boy, born March 31, 2022
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I've been reading the forum for a few months now as we prepared to adopt our new puppy. It's been almost two weeks now that he's been home, so I decided to join and get a bit more active.

Meet Pinot, our twelve week old standard poodle boy. We got him from a breeder in Central California who has been very helpful and supportive.

We live in a one bedroom apartment on the fifth floor of a condo building in very urban San Francisco. We're both exhausted and losing weight from constantly going up and down the stairs, carrying out now 18-lb puppy out to potty about 12-15 times per day. We have a fenced-in courtyard that we are using for potty breaks and he's picking up on it well. That is, he sometimes has accidents in the house, but he always pees when we take him outside - always.

Other than that, we're working on the standard things: come, stay, sit, down, off, leave it, and a bit of loose leash walking when he's in the mood. We redirect when he's bitey, but he hasn't gotten the message all the way yet. We're also trying to desensitize him to the comb, the nail clippers, and the hair dryer.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and stories. Here's Pinot!
Dog breed Fawn Pet supply Wood Mesh

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Comfort

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

·
Super Moderator
5,307 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new addition. It sounds like you are doing well with your poodle toddler so far. Some setbacks with potty errors and biting are inevitable. All the work you are doing now will pay off when he's older.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Pinot is gorgeous, welcome to you both.

Reactions: athamese

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Welcome to you and Pinot 😍! Poodle Club of Central CA has a specialty at the Del Valle show. I went about six-ish years ago, maybe seven. Got there late, but saw some and admiringly watched Mrs. Olund brush out a lovely white Spoo from a distance. Her technique was very educational. I was too shy to talk to anyone except the mother of one of the handlers. It's a club-centric event of course, but if I'd gotten there at the start, I might have felt a bit more comfortable. Not an easy place to get to via public transit; I'll rent a car next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to you and Pinot 😍! Poodle Club of Central CA has a specialty at the Del Valle show. I went about six-ish years ago, maybe seven. Got there late, but saw some and admiringly watched Mrs. Olund brush out a lovely white Spoo from a distance. Her technique was very educational. I was too shy to talk to anyone except the mother of one of the handlers. It's a club-centric event of course, but if I'd gotten there at the start, I might have felt a bit more comfortable. Not an easy place to get to via public transit; I'll rent a car next time.
Oh yes! Mrs. Olund was the one who referred me to our breeder! I'd love to thank her in person some day. We really lucked out not just with Pinot but with the breeder, too, who's been exceptional.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wondering if Pinot might not be a blue boy 🤩...
I've never understood the difference between black and blue. His dad is all white, his mom was black (now quite grey/silver). He had two white siblings and four black. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or has an influence.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Welcome! I agree with Streetcar, Pinot is a blue! He is very, very handsome! Which breeder is he from?

·
Super Moderator
5,307 Posts
I've never understood the difference between black and blue. His dad is all white, his mom was black (now quite grey/silver). He had two white siblings and four black. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or has an influence.
He looks blue to me as well. It sounds like your guy's mother was either blue or silver, and it's possible dad also contributed a dose of fading. Blue and silver poodles start out black and fade with maturity. Silver progresses faster and ends up lighter. My blue boy Galen started out with grey rings around his eyes and snout; he also had a couple of of pale streaks through his ear hair. Now as a two year old the rest of his hair is catching up, and his facial markings are close to blending in with the rest of his hair. Galen currently looks like he is a very dusty black, as though I need to pound him with a carpet beater to get all the pollen and cobwebs off him. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome! What a handsome boy! My mini-poodle also loves to lie down with his chin resting on my ankle. My boy is blue but is still quite dark even though he's nearly 2. Is it possible that Pinot is silver? In either case, he is a lovely Pinot Grigio!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts