Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My name is Andreea and I am a 17-year-old living in Romania. 2 months ago I bought my first puppy (which I wished for since I was 3). Her name is Mochi and she's a 15 weeks old "toy" poodle. She exceeded the toy poodle charts a while ago, weighing 4.1kgs/ 9lbs and measuring 30 cm/ 12''. She loves to chase after the cat and bite her which is making her (the cat) really stressed. She is full of energy and most of the time she becomes destructive, I am trying to train her but nothing seems to work, she's really stubborn. I'm just hoping she will calm down when I start taking her outside regularly. Nice to meet you all!

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
She's very cute.

Yes, puppy mischief is exhausting. I have started calling my puppy "the little monster." Right now, at least, I can distract him with toys (his favorite is his squeaky snake, because he can sometimes persuade our older dog to pull on the other end.) I also starting to teach him different tricks, just to keep his mind busy. He sleeps a lot better when he has been thinking hard. I'm not looking forward to the chewing stage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's very cute.

Yes, puppy mischief is exhausting. I have started calling my puppy "the little monster." Right now, at least, I can distract him with toys (his favorite is his squeaky snake, because he can sometimes persuade our older dog to pull on the other end.) I also starting to teach him different tricks, just to keep his mind busy. He sleeps a lot better when he has been thinking hard. I'm not looking forward to the chewing stage.
Aww that is so cute. I tried distracting her with toys but it doesn't work anymore, she'll just do whatever she wants or bark at us. I should call her "the not-so-little monster" haha

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome, lovely poodle! She needs exercise, a good pup is a tired pup. I realize that may be difficult in these times depending on your local regulations. I have a standard pup but am fortunate to live in the suburbs so we walk about 10 minutes 3x daily. If I skip a walk due to rain I can certainly tell!

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
She's so cute! I love how she matches the carpet.

We went sort of the non-exercise route with Peggy, focusing more on brain games, play, and lots of learning to settle. An indoor pen was invaluable for this. We could play in there with her and then walk away when she got too excited. Then return and try again. It was also her place for chewing and shredding. If something was in there, she had permission to destroy it.

At 10 months, she still gets to do this on occasion. Much better than trying to eliminate the natural behaviour completely.

We also learned with Peggy that when she got wild she was overtired. This is still the case. It can feel counterintuitive, but think of it like a toddler: If a toddler has had all they need (toilet, food, water, play) and is still fussing, do you take them for a jog? Nope! Nap time.

Works every time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, lovely poodle! She needs exercise, a good pup is a tired pup. I realize that may be difficult in these times depending on your local regulations. I have a standard pup but am fortunate to live in the suburbs so we walk about 10 minutes 3x daily. If I skip a walk due to rain I can certainly tell!
Thank you! I started taking her outside once a day, but I still feel bad for doing so because the vet said I shouldn't take her out before her last shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's so cute! I love how she matches the carpet.

We went sort of the non-exercise route with Peggy, focusing more on brain games, play, and lots of learning to settle. An indoor pen was invaluable for this. We could play in there with her and then walk away when she got too excited. Then return and try again. It was also her place for chewing and shredding. If something was in there, she had permission to destroy it.

At 10 months, she still gets to do this on occasion. Much better than trying to eliminate the natural behaviour completely.

We also learned with Peggy that when she got wild she was overtired. This is still the case. It can feel counterintuitive, but think of it like a toddler: If a toddler has had all they need (toilet, food, water, play) and is still fussing, do you take them for a jog? Nope! Nap time.

Works every time.
Thank you! I don't have enough space for an indoor pen but I will try to buy a gate to keep her in one room when she gets too excited; I usually take her into another room and close the door as a "punishment" for when she bites or chases the cat so I don't know if she will enjoy a gate, but it's definitely worth a try :)

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Mochi is adorable - welcome to you both. You might be our first friend from Romania. Puppies can be very trying. I agree to try and work out her energy somehow until it is time for naps. You may also try crate training which will give her a sense of having a den or a place to go to when she is stressed out. Search crate training on the forum and you will find some very useful information.

·
Registered
136 Posts
She is really cute! A gate will help to keep her contained and give the cat a much needed break! Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are feeding Mochi kibble, make her work for it. Put the kibble into a 2 liter soda pop bottle. She will have to roll the bottle around to get the kibble out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mochi is adorable - welcome to you both. You might be our first friend from Romania. Puppies can be very trying. I agree to try and work out her energy somehow until it is time for naps. You may also try crate training which will give her a sense of having a den or a place to go to when she is stressed out. Search crate training on the forum and you will find some very useful information.
Thank you! I will try it, she doesnt use her crate these days because she likes sleeping on my bed better and won’t stop crying until I take her in the bed; hopefully the crate training will work better than what I tried before😅

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are feeding Mochi kibble, make her work for it. Put the kibble into a 2 liter soda pop bottle. She will have to roll the bottle around to get the kibble out.
That is a really good idea! Thank you! I will try it with her today :)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome and she is an adorable pup. Puppies are like toddlers, when they get over tired they get over rambunctious and will bite bite and bite. LOL Thats usually when mine would get crate time. I think its important to crate train right from the beginning. The dog learns to have alone time and likely will not have as much separation anxiety when left alone. You could teach her the "place" command. You can google it there are many video's to teach you, look at several and find the one that works for you. I'm not sure if you are familiar with xpens, such as PeggytheParti recommended. You can easily fold them and they do come in various sizes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome and she is an adorable pup. Puppies are like toddlers, when they get over tired they get over rambunctious and will bite bite and bite. LOL Thats usually when mine would get crate time. I think its important to crate train right from the beginning. The dog learns to have alone time and likely will not have as much separation anxiety when left alone. You could teach her the "place" command. You can google it there are many video's to teach you, look at several and find the one that works for you. I'm not sure if you are familiar with xpens, such as PeggytheParti recommended. You can easily fold them and they do come in various sizes.
i decided to buy an xpen but it will take a while to arrive, i hope it won’t take more than 2 weeks though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts