Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time poodle (and dog, in general) owner here!

We recently adopted Ivy, a 14 week old standard poodle puppy. She’s doing well adjusting to our home and family. She loves playing with my kids, chewing her toys, learning for treats, and chasing leaves. She’s starting to like being brushed and combed (but she would never admit it ?). She has some fears that we’re working through: mainly barking dogs and strangers giving her attention (which is hard because everyone wants to pet a cute puppy!).

Looking forward to getting to know this forum and all of you!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome! Your puppy is very cute. I look forward to more pictures of her growing up.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Welcome to you and your very cute puppy. Lots of info here to help you raise a puppy So you have her in a puppy class?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing pictures of your adorable puppy. I hope you enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Skylar. Yes, she starts puppy level 1 classes tonight. The vet said puppy playtime classes would be overwhelming for her and could have negative impacts but a structured class where strangers and dogs are there but not focused on her would be beneficial to start.

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
Welcome!

Our trainer recently arranged a play date on her property, for Peggy and another well-socialized dog. She did it so a third dog (a timid 6-month-old Golden) could sit back and watch. It was adorable! She tentatively joined in after about 15 minutes, and was having a blast within 30!

It reminded me just how resilient dogs can be.

Can't wait to hear about cute little Ivy's progress. She'll be blossoming before you know it!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Hi and welcome... Ivy is absolutely adorable, thank you for sharing her pic. I also will look forward to more pics as she grows through her first year. Have you seen a thread called 52 Weeks? It's in the Poodle Pictures topic. If you'd like, please start one and we can all watch her grow with you.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Welcome to you and Ivy - glad you could join us - this is the place for all things poodle. BTW I love Ivy's expression.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome!

Our trainer recently arranged a play date on her property, for Peggy and another well-socialized dog. She did it so a third dog (a timid 6-month-old Golden) could sit back and watch. It was adorable! She tentatively joined in after about 15 minutes, and was having a blast within 30!

It reminded me just how resilient dogs can be.

Can't wait to hear about cute little Ivy's progress. She'll be blossoming before you know it!
What a great idea! I’d love to do this for Ivy. Her puppy training class didn’t go well and I’m afraid her key puppy socialization window is closing soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi and welcome... Ivy is absolutely adorable, thank you for sharing her pic. I also will look forward to more pics as she grows through her first year. Have you seen a thread called 52 Weeks? It's in the Poodle Pictures topic. If you'd like, please start one and we can all watch her grow with you.
Thanks! I’ll check out the thread.

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
What a great idea! I’d love to do this for Ivy. Her puppy training class didn’t go well and I’m afraid her key puppy socialization window is closing soon.
Aw. I'm very sorry to hear that. What happened? You can work on socialization yourself while you perhaps find another class. Just focus on keeping all exposure short and positive.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Welcome to you and Ivy! Very, very cute puppy. It’s a lot to manage at first for both of you - figuring out a schedule, potty training, vaccinations, socialization. When Buck was fearful, I acted happy and would cheer, “Yay, it’s a bicycle/truck or whatever. Poodles have the capacity for large vocabularies. They are SO smart.

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
Welcome to you and Ivy! Very, very cute puppy. It’s a lot to manage at first for both of you - figuring out a schedule, potty training, vaccinations, socialization. When Buck was fearful, I acted happy and would cheer, “Yay, it’s a bicycle/truck or whatever. Poodles have the capacity for large vocabularies. They are SO smart.
My husband tells Peggy that every weird or scary thing is a puppy.

Cows? "Aw! It's a puppy!"
Elk? "Aw! It's a puppy!"
Heavy machinery? "Aw! It's a puppy!"
Monster on TV? "Aw! It's a puppy!"

She loves it. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aw. I'm very sorry to hear that. What happened? You can work on socialization yourself while you perhaps find another class. Just focus on keeping all exposure short and positive.
She was just really afraid, hiding behind me with tail tucked, to the point that she started shaking. So we left. I found another class in the area that has only 2 other puppies signed up. I was thinking of trying that instead of the larger class setting. We’ve been trying to socialize outside of class, too, keeping the encounters short and as positive as possible. That seems to be working better for her as she’ll play with my neighbor’s puppy after a few minutes of watching then allowing her to approach him when she’s ready. She even took a treat from my other neighbor yesterday ( a first!). Slow and steady and trying not to get overwhelmed myself ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tip! I try to keep it business as usual, explaining things to her like “that was a loud car, wasn’t it?” Or “ that dog is barking, huh?” But I’ll try a more cheerful voice and see if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Don't be afraid to give her as much distance as she needs to feel safe, and keep up the cheery voice and treats.

Do you know much about her story before you got her? It's a bit unusual for a puppy to be so timid, but we've encountered quite a few like that in our classes. Those that stick with it have all seen positive results. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
We followed the vet's directions and kept Normie close until he finished his shots. (Our d-i-l is a vet; we had no choice!) It took time but we got him socialized.

We did puppy play and just let him do his thing (at one point hiding under a chair). It took weeks but he's a star player now. It just went slowly.

We also did obedience training with two other dogs and that went well, but, again, he took his time.

I carry treats in my pocket and give them to children to give to him. And I recruited the little girls next door to play with him. You've got all that covered already.

It takes time, and, like children, some dogs are more reserved and slow to adjust to new situations. But given time, they can get there.

The Normie of today never met a stranger - human or dog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts