Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My husband and I sadly just had to say goodbye to our rescue of 13 years (he was 15 years old) and are finally ready to bring a new member into our family. We have both had dogs our whole lives, from huskies and a Pomeranian growing up to rescuing a pit mix in college and later a chihuahua mix. Though we would love to rescue, we are perhaps more cautious about health and behavioral considerations now that we have a family, so we would like to go with a reputable breeder.

We have narrowed it down to a mini (or small standard maybe) poodle and we love both the red and apricot colors.

We recently moved into NYC in a duplex apartment. It doesn’t have a yard but luckily has a couple nice balconies and a private roof deck that is ~300sq ft (maybe some artificial grass here). We have two kids, girl age 8 and boy age 6 that are big dog lovers and know how to behave around puppies (my brother has a new puppy we spent time with).

We both work and are working from home until at least end of July - after which the dog would be home alone for 3 hours in the morning before my wife would come home for lunch and then 3 hours in the afternoon before she returns from work.

Would love any help finding a mini / Moyen in red / apricot, preferably local of course (willing to drive a few hours), but also happy to pay for flight. Ideal timeline would be yesterday for us haha, but willing to wait for the right fit. Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Welcome! DiMarnique's is an excellent breeder of minis located in Delaware. My dog's parents were both DiMarnique dogs (owned by a different breeder) but my boy is a lovely dog with sound temperament. I recall that Mary was expecting a litter of red/apricot minis in late February. I have no idea if there are any that haven't been spoken for, but it's possible she could still have a pup available that would be perfect for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! DiMarnique's is an excellent breeder of minis located in Delaware. My dog's parents were both DiMarnique dogs (owned by a different breeder) but my boy is a lovely dog with sound temperament. I recall that Mary was expecting a litter of red/apricot minis in late February. I have no idea if there are any that haven't been spoken for, but it's possible she could still have a pup available that would be perfect for you.
Amazing, thank you for the response, I just checked out her site and sent in an application. Fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
I'm so sorry for the lost of your longtime friend. Sounds like your household is going to be a good one for a puppy. I look forward to hearing stories and seeing photos, and hope you'll continue to share here.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Amazing, thank you for the response, I just checked out her site and sent in an application. Fingers crossed!
Hopefully you hear back soon! Might try giving her a call as well. Some breeders do a lot better communicating by phone.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
She just got back to me, nothing available at the moment :(
Ah well it was worth a shot. Looking further away from you, I think Patriot Poodles is breeding an apricot female this year and may be producing apricots/reds. My dog's breeder (Danube) breeds red minis but she's in Tennessee and does not ship. One of my dog's littermates was getting picked up by a couple from New York. They actually made it home before we made it back to Miami. But it's a long drive so probably not a great option for you. There's also Shiann Poodles which I've heard mostly good things about. I think they may actually have some reds/apricots available currently.

Those I've mentioned are all responsible show/performance breeders that do full health testing which is the way to go for a healthy and temperamentally sound dog. Reds are trendy with backyard breeders, so be extra careful when choosing a breeder to be sure they're completing health testing and breeding quality dogs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Eriand is out on Long Island. You can check them out. I think they breed mini’s and standards. I looked into them when my dad was thinking about a poodle pup, he is out on the island. Not sure about the color you want though. They have a Facebook page that seems to be updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I will check out the names mentioned. I think for now the further names like Danube and Patriot are a bit of a stretch to travel given the current climate, but we will certainly keep these in mind if we aren’t able to find anything sooner! Will look at Shiann as well.

I also spoke with Leslie Newing last night and got a few names that are close to us, not sure if they have any availability at the moment and we might need to be flexible on colors, but they seem like good leads.

I will reach out to Eriand today as well.

One I came across but didn’t see much mention on the forum, S o s h e r r, she might have one available, any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Grace Durkin of Magic Castle Poodles is in the Albany area, she will occasionally breed red and apricot mini's.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
One I came across but didn’t see much mention on the forum, S o s h e r r, she might have one available, any thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm not personally familiar with S o s h e r r (why does it do that???) but from looking at the website I see nothing that would dissuade me from contacting her. She's not super specific and doesn't have a ton of info readily available for me to evaluate, but everything that is there seems good. I don't have time to look up the health testing on OFA but that's always something I'd verify. But it sounds like she completes it. And she shows her dogs, doesn't breed too many litters, and seems to put a good effort in socializing pups. Very pretty apricots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts