Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to find a suitable Standard Poodle puppy to grow up as a friend/companion for my six year old son (he has Autism (high functioning)).
We live east of Toronto, so I am hoping to locate a mentally and physically sound Standard poodle within a two or three hour drive of us.
I prefer parti or brindle colouring. Not looking for white, brown or apricot. I am looking for lines / breeders that have a track record of dogs in agility, tracking, therapy and assistance work. I am not looking for dogs from recent or active hunting lines as I feel their prey drive will probably be too strong for our purpose.

I will consider adopting a dog just outside of puppy-hood, or less than two years old, as long as it is otherwise suitable to be a great companion to my son.
I have been looking a poodle for adoption, but so far have had no luck finding a suitable match.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Welcome to PF.
You might try Aura Standard Poodles, she is a member here. She breeds dark reds, and I think, she competes in Companion Events along with Conformation. If she ends up not working she might now someone who does.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to PF.
You might try Aura Standard Poodles, she is a member here. She breeds dark reds, and I think, she competes in Companion Events along with Conformation. If she ends up not working she might now someone who does.

I hope this helps.

Thank you! I will reach out to her.

·
Premium Member
23,197 Posts
Yes, and it is Arreau, but I am not sure that she has done agility and such, but she would know someone along those lines in all likelihood. Her pups range from deep reds to apricot for the most part. I am curious though, while I understand a hunting line dog would probably not be a good fit, I am not sure that a specifically performance line pup would be the best for you either unless you and your son want to pursue a sport why you are seeking a breeder with a track record in this area. Neither of my spoos is from direct performance lineages but both are good performance dogs (or at least Javelin will be if we can ever leave our house again).

Reactions: Dree-N

·
Registered
307 Posts
I hope you find the dog you are looking for. I suggest you have your son feed the puppy/dog. This helps the dog respect the child.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, and it is Arreau, but I am not sure that she has done agility and such, but she would know someone along those lines in all likelihood. Her pups range from deep reds to apricot for the most part. I am curious though, while I understand a hunting line dog would probably not be a good fit, I am not sure that a specifically performance line pup would be the best for you either unless you and your son want to pursue a sport why you are seeking a breeder with a track record in this area. Neither of my spoos is from direct performance lineages but both are good performance dogs (or at least Javelin will be if we can ever leave our house again).
Thank you, for your reply.
I really want to keep our options open.
Based on the activities he tries to get the cats to go along with ---I think he would LOVE dog sports with his future best buddy.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I have a poodle who works as both a diabetes alert dog and is becoming a solid performance dog. I did not get Noelle from performance lines. I actually got her from someone who bred therapy dogs. Poodles are athletic and eager to please. I would not hesitate to contact Arreau. If I decide to get a second poodle I'd contact Arreau in a heartbeat.

Please keep in mind that six is too young to train a poodle. They are a handful and a half as youngsters and will challenge you mentally and physically. Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into. You will be doing all the training for several years. But, by the time the poodle is four, and your son is 10, the fun they can have in the training ring will blow your mind. I got beat in the obedience ring by a 12-year-old. Everyone was delighted to see the lad in the ring with his dog. Kid came in first, too. Good luck with your search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts