Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually post #2 since my first post was a month ago asking for spaying advice. I guess I'm overdue for in intro at this point!

This is Isla, she's 8 months and a toy poodle:
1588027060182.png

I brought her over from Moscow in December, when she was around 4 months. We actually bought two poodles there - my mother has a bigger toy male named Max who is a month and a half older than her. They get to hang out every couple of weeks, except for the last month because poor Max broke his leg and is in post surgery recovery. Isla has been pretty happy with the Covid situation since she gets to run around Central Park with barely anyone there and has me staying at home and keeping her company all day. They were both supposed to be silver poodles but while Max has definitely acquired a silver coat she seems to be in some weird in between zone of mostly black with a tiny bit of silver around her mouth and tail. The breeders are confused since both the mom and dad are very light, they think maybe there was some darker fur genes lying dormant that came out for her litter.

I usually have to go to work and was finding it quite challenging balancing a puppy and having to be out of the house for 9-10 hours - any advice on that would be much appreciated! Before COVID I was negotiating a new role so was pretty checked out at work and was doing a lot of working from home and leaving the office early but now that I've started my new role I'll have to figure out a better regime post-COVID. I've found a great daycare in the area for little dogs but it is a little bit of a trek and quite expensive to do every day.

Other than that she's been a joy to have around - I managed to take her to two training classes before Covid started so we've been practicing exercises we learned there and going to the park a lot since she seems to run on nuclear fuel and my studio apartment is definitely not a great place for that. She loves chasing tennis balls and birds.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Thank you for your introduction - it made for interesting reading and I loved the pictures. Do you speak to them in Russian. I was in Russia a few years back and it was fascinating - Went to Moscow, St Petersburg and stayed in a dacha. Lots of riding around the country and seeing the great palaces - my favorites were Catherine Palace and of course the Hermitage where I spent many hours.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hi and Welcome (officially :)) to you and Isla!

I hope Max is feeling better and fully recovered soon. I'm sorry I don't have much advice to offer about how to keep Isla while you're at work.

One member got quite fortunate and found a woman in her complex that worked from home and took on the role of personal doggie day care several days a week. I hope some other members will drop by with some advice. At least she's thru the hardest of the puppy time :).

·
Super Moderator
5,809 Posts
(Official) welcome to you and your little cutie!

With a work day like that, unless you have family, friends, or neighbours who can help out, you'll have to choose between doggy daycare and a dog walker.

With a small dog, I felt more comfortable using a dog walker and it took one bad experience before I found someone wonderful. When she moved, I tried her replacement for a while, but Gracie started peeing when the woman showed up! She'd never done anything like that before, so I knew it wasn't a good fit.

Luckily, I started taking Gracie to work with me shortly after that, which really is the dream. Any possibility of that? She was the happiest little office dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your introduction - it made for interesting reading and I loved the pictures. Do you speak to them in Russian. I was in Russia a few years back and it was fascinating - Went to Moscow, St Petersburg and stayed in a dacha. Lots of riding around the country and seeing the great palaces - my favorites were Catherine Palace and of course the Hermitage where I spent many hours.
I do speak to them in Russian when it's just the family around, but most of the commands I've been teaching in English since otherwise the trainers in her puppy class confused and my boyfriend does not speak any Russia either. I'm glad you enjoyed Russia - Moscow and St Petersburg are two of the most beautiful cities in the world in my opinion, I can't wait to go back once traveling is allowed again :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(Official) welcome to you and your little cutie!

With a work day like that, unless you have family, friends, or neighbours who can help out, you'll have to choose between doggy daycare and a dog walker.

With a small dog, I felt more comfortable using a dog walker and it took one bad experience before I found someone wonderful. When she moved, I tried her replacement for a while, but Gracie started peeing when the woman showed up! She'd never done anything like that before, so I knew it wasn't a good fit.

Luckily, I started taking Gracie to work with me shortly after that, which really is the dream. Any possibility of that? She was the happiest little office dog.
Ah yes my office is supposed to be dog friendly and that's part of the reason I chose it over a competing offer I had but from what I hear you're really not supposed to do it every day, more of a once in a while type of situation. Now that she's calmed down and doesn't bark at ever minor disturbance I feel more confident that eventually I'll take advantage of that without annoying my new team mates. I guess I'm also a bit curious about the common area situation - one of the big perks is that the office has free food in the cafeteria and other office amenities that pets aren't allowed to be in for so I guess I'd have to figure out how to eat without bringing her into the cafeteria and what to do about meetings and such. I think my plan once I have to go in is to do daycare a couple times and week and then have my boyfriend drop by during lunch the days that she's not in daycare since he works not too far away, perhaps get a dog walker a couple times a week once he starts having more intense shifts. The daycare for little dogs has closed down for the pandemic, I'm really hoping it doesn't have to shutter permanently because I took her to their original location for bigger dogs a few times and she did not seem to enjoy it too much.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Is she crate trained? A comfortable crate in your office or tucked under your desk may be the ideal solution - somewhere she will happily settle and snooze when you need to leave her for an hour or two. And now would be the perfect time to teach her about it.

Reactions: old-boots

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Isla is very cute ! It looks tome as if she is turning blue. It usually starts when the dogs are around 2 but I suppose it’s possible earlier as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts