Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I’m a disabled artist and recent transplant to Washington state (near Seattle) and have been researching poodles for a while in my hopeful search for a service dog. I love their intelligent yet cuddly natures and the fact that they have curly hair, not fur is a definite plus! (I’ve never had a dog before and realized when I pet a bichon for the first time that my mild aversion to dogs is based on their smell and fur (and drool) but this little gal didn’t have any of those and is very pleasant to pet). I know that may sound weird to some but I’m really tactile and don’t enjoy petting most dogs.

Anyway, I originally looked at doodles bc of all the “hypoallergenic” hype but realized what I was really looking for was a standard poodle 😊 I’d love a deep red female, but given my needs and limitations I know I need to broaden my horizons... who knows how long my wait will be but I’ve enjoyed reading various threads and looking at pics on these forums. The Service Dogs subsection is especially wonderful.🐕‍🦺

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Welcome! I'm also in Washington.

Spoo coats really are a thing of beauty. Kept short with monthly grooming appointments, Peggy's is very low-maintenance and lovely to touch.

I look forward to following along on your service dog journey.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Welcome - good luck with finding a service poodle prospect. Do pop into the Poodle Service Dogs subforum. This is a brand new addition to our site. I did not pick Asta as a Service dog - I just wanted the most confident puppy.We still train daily - sometimes basic commands and some specific commands to help me with my Bipolar Disorder. Asta has saved me a time or two. i was having some problems with falling for no apparent reason. I kept Asta close (he always wants to be near me) Anyway I fell on my face a couple of times lately. Once I was out for about 2 minutes. When I came to I was way drowsy with Asta licking my face. Issued his "help me" command and his job was to find my husband and lead him back to me. Have learned now I have a concussion. Going easy here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! I'm also in Washington.

Spoo coats really are a thing of beauty. Kept short with monthly grooming appointments, Peggy's is very low-maintenance and lovely to touch.

I look forward to following along on your service dog journey.
Thank you! Where in WA are you, if you don’t mind me asking? (feel free to message me privately if you don’t want to put it out publicly)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome - good luck with finding a service poodle prospect. Do pop into the Poodle Service Dogs subforum. This is a brand new addition to our site. I did not pick Asta as a Service dog - I just wanted the most confident puppy.We still train daily - sometimes basic commands and some specific commands to help me with my Bipolar Disorder. Asta has saved me a time or two. i was having some problems with falling for no apparent reason. I kept Asta close (he always wants to be near me) Anyway I fell on my face a couple of times lately. Once I was out for about 2 minutes. When I came to I was way drowsy with Asta licking my face. Issued his "help me" command and his job was to find my husband and lead him back to me. Have learned now I have a concussion. Going easy here.
Thank you - I’m sorry to read about your concussion, but glad you have Asta at your side to help you when you need it 😊

What other functions does he perform for your Bipolar Disorder? (I have two family members who suffer from the same thing and I’m curious if they might be helped by a service dog...)

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Hi - glad you are interested in the tasks that Asta helps me with. You can find out more by looking at my Asta's training thread =Asta's training thread
I am always looking for new stuff that Asta can do for me.I really take a deep dive and watch for behaviors I can shape and the more difficult to train a behavior that is all brand new. I just need to remember that we are a team and have each other's back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts