Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, Thank you for letting me join. I have a gorgeous show typy miniature poodle and live in Leicestershire. Could anyone point me to the right directions please where to take him for a show groom? I don't want to take him to just any groomers if they don't know anything about poodles in shows. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I think you may struggle for recommendations - there are not that many UK members here. Your best bet may be to talk to breeders in your area, and see if they can recommend anyone, or to visit a show and ask there. We would love to see photos of your dog, and hear more about him!

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Hello everybody, Thank you for letting me join. I have a gorgeous show typy miniature poodle and live in Leicestershire. Could anyone point me to the right directions please where to take him for a show groom? I don't want to take him to just any groomers if they don't know anything about poodles in shows. Thank you in advance.
Bfarky, you said in another post that you were a breeder. https://www.poodleforum.com/2-member-introductions/235489-intro.html#post2841233

Are you planning to show your dog in conformation? Most people who do so take classes at member owned dog clubs to prepare their dog for the ring. They will know which groomers to use.

The breeder who you got your puppy from should be mentoring you to help prepare you and your dog for the show ring. That would include help in finding a good groomer and as well how to maintain a show coat in between grooms. Even if your breeder doesn't live in your area, through the show ring they will know about most of the groomers on the conformation circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. The dog was imported, so breeder does not know any groomers here. We also visited a local club, where the secretary said that some people might be able to show me how to groom him myself, but she doesnt know any who would. Also I cant take him to a possible show without him been groomed. Looks like a vicious circle, where do I go from here??

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Start by contacting poodle breeders in or close to your area..........the ones that show in conformation can probably give you a recommendation, or if you have a Poodle Club, there is sometimes a member than does grooming.
I just googled and found 'Midlands Counties Poodle Club' ........try contacting them for a recommendation?

Here's the link to poodle clubs in the UK
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findaclub/breed/list.aspx?id=4099

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Where did you get your "show" poodle? They should recommend where to get him groomed or be helping you on your way to the show circuit. If not go to your local poodle club where I am sure you will find others interested in showing. Are you going to show him yourself or use a handler? would love to see pictures.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
He is absolutely beautiful! I will be in Budapest in December - wish I could bring one like him back home!

I hope you find someone to help with show grooming. It's a challenge, but can certainly be mastered as you can see from various posts by PF members. You might want to buy a copy of Shirlee Kalstone's book Poodle Clipping and Grooming. There are plenty of used copies if you are looking for a bargain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts