Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I'm 23 and new to the poodle world. I have a severe pain disease called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/CRPS (used to be Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy/RSD) that thus far affects my entire upper body and my left leg and it will likely spread to my right leg. CRPS causes extreme, excruciating pain at the lightest touch or movement and in me also causes seizures. I'm now in a wheelchair. Before I got sick I was 1 semester away from graduating with a Bachelor's in Animal Science and going on to vet school. Now I can't go to vet school but am really passionate about behavior and am working on a master's (and hopefully PhD) in animal behavior.
My previous service dog, Dixie my Catahoula, was a natural alerter and trained to the highest standard. I adopted her from our local shelter before I got sick and I knew that her hips and knees weren't superb. Her pre-service vet check said the same thing: Fine for regular service work, but no mobility work. When the CRPS spread to my leg and I had to go to a wheelchair, I had to retire Dix because I needed a dog who could do balance work.
So now Dixie is retired and being spoiled rotten by everyone (I had to move back home because I can't drive thanks to my pain meds and can't do as much for myself because of the limitations) and I have applied for a new service dog, who will be a Standard Poodle!
I've been doing tons of research (you know you were a science major when...) and I'm totally falling in love with the breed. I adore a dog that is intelligent and bonds with its person (Catahoulas and Pitties are my other favorite breeds for that reason). My doctor actually said a poodle would be good since the brushing and combing is a good physical therapy exercise.
I also have a 1 year old pit bull named Lola that I am training for agility and who loves to go to doggie daycare once a week, a 2 year old Norwegian Forest Cat that I hand raised after she was dumped at the clinic I was a vet tech at and a 10ish week old long haired kitten someone left in our driveway in a box (we are the place people dump their unwanted animals. We adopt out the ones we can and keep the others, who are usually special needs or bond closely with one person).
I look forward to learning from everyone here. I feel like for every one thing I learn, there are 10 more things I need to!:embarrassed:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Karma'sACat

How wonderful that with your limitations you have such a positive attitude and desire to continue to educate yourself. Your approach is truly commendable. May you find the perfect Therapy Spoo for your needs. Enjoy your furry and fuzzy friends. They are the best therapy one could ask for :).

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks:) It has definitely been a learning experience for me and it is hard but being down doesn't make me healthy. I've learned so much and now I want to help other people like me.
I'm really excited about the new dog! I've always wanted a Spoo but never found the right one (and my other 2 dogs literally fell in my lap). Everything works out for a reason and I might be getting mine as soon as 6 months (there are 3 in the program right now) or 18 months if not.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm so excited for you too! You'll have to keep us updated and of course provide us with lots of pics! My poodle is so intelligent and loving...he amazes me every day. I'm sure yours will too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I will definitely be sharing a lot:) I am one of those people whose camera is attached to my hand most of the time, so there will be lots of pictures.:biggrin1:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
welcome! i'm madly in love with my spoo and i've had different breeds. mine is just 6.5 months old and the older she gets the more i realize how amazing she is. fantastic breed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts