Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I’m new to the forum. I don’t own a poodle or any dog at the moment. My last fur baby passed away a couple years ago and I’m finally ready for a new puppy. I’m getting a tiny toy later in the year I’m on a couple waiting list with different breeders. I’m hoping for a 3-4lbs tiny toy not picky on colors at all just no solid whites as a solid white dog is kinda intimidating keeping that white white seems like a daunting task I just don’t want to deal with lol. And no worries I don’t have any children in my home so no risk of the future puppy being hurt or tortured by kids. I live in a very friendly dog apartment complex and there’s plenty of toy poodles around for my future puppy to have play dates with. Just anxiously awaiting on that call from a breeder letting me know if my puppy has been born ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also any tips for potty training will be appreciated. My apartment complex doesn’t “allow” the use of puppy pads in apartments they prefer tenants use and train their pets to use a litter box if they have to. Never trained a puppy to go in a litter box. Would I use sand or cat litter I imagine sand or cat litter would get in the pups hair causing a mess so if there something else I can use? Or maybe I can see if a potty patch will be allowed? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated ?

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Welcome!!

I had my miniature poodle cross in a Toronto apartment and was able to housebreak her without litter boxes, puppy pads, etc. I just had to take her outside A LOT. I would give her just a couple of minutes to relieve herself, and then playtime if she pottied, or back inside if she didn't (and then outside again 30 minutes later).

Inside she was typically tethered to me or nearby, or in her short-term or long-term confinement area. (I used Ian Dunbar's "Before & After Getting Your Puppy" for guidance.)

The only apartment-specific challenge I faced (aside from the tediousness of going in and out, in and out) was that Gracie never really associated my apartment door with potty time. There was too much to see and do between that door and the lobby door. So she never went to the door when she had to go out. She would just sit and stare intently into my eyes. ? I guess that was HER potty training ME.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome!!

I had my miniature poodle cross in a Toronto apartment and was able to housebreak her without litter boxes, puppy pads, etc. I just had to take her outside A LOT. I would give her just a couple of minutes to relieve herself, and then playtime if she pottied, or back inside if she didn't (and then outside again 30 minutes later).

Inside she was typically tethered to me or nearby, or in her short-term or long-term confinement area. (I used Ian Dunbar's "Before & After Getting Your Puppy" for guidance.)

The only apartment-specific challenge I faced (aside from the tediousness of going in and out, in and out) was that Gracie never really associated my apartment door with potty time. There was too much to see and do between that door and the lobby door. So she never went to the door when she had to go out. She would just sit and stare intently into my eyes. ? I guess that was HER potty training ME.
I have a closed in patio I can use but there’s a couple spots that need to be fixed. I’m not too sure how tiny he or she is going to be when they come home but I’m definitely worried about a tiny fluff ball seeing a bird or squirrel and making a break through one of the small gaps in the fence. I’m hoping my fence is replaced or at least fixed before the puppy gets here. I’m in downtown Dallas and there’s a lot going on so I’m worried I can take him or her out but they won’t go because they’ll constantly be distracted by the hustle and bustle of the city

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Gracie fared just fine in the hustle and bustle of Toronto. ? And for the entirety of her life after that, she'd potty anywhere! Tiny patches of dirt or grass. The side of a building. Even parking lots. It was great.

City dogs rule.

She was quite small, though not as small as your future pup. So I was careful to keep her out of the way of foot traffic, and I never hesitated to pick her up and out of harm's way. One of her favourite activities was riding the subway with me to work. She could brighten anyone's day—even grumpy early-morning commuters.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think that I used a leash for potty training, though I have a suburban fenced yard. That way you can control for distraction and ensure that potty time is for pottying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts