Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I everyone! I am a new member, and I am picking up my first poodle today! She is a female black miniature and I'm so excited!

:)Courtney

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Welcome Courtney to the poodle forum :welcome:

That's awesome that you are getting her today! Be sure to come back and post pictures for all us ;)

-T
I everyone! I am a new member, and I am picking up my first poodle today! She is a female black miniature and I'm so excited!

:)Courtney

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! She is soo sweet and I'm amazed at how smart she is already. I can definitely tell why they call poodles "Velcro dogs." She has not left my side yet!

We definitely had a tough first night though....she just cried and wailed and howled all through the night in her crate... I really didn't expect her to cry that hard! I tried moving the crate to the bedroom....lying down next to her...putting a radio nearby, nothing worked. She would only sleep for an hour and then cry for an hour non-stop. At 5:30am we walked her for a potty break and she was great! ...But then back to the crate for more yelling/sobbing...is this normal? The breeder warned me that since the mother had been really attached to them and they hadn't really left her side, that the first night would be really difficult.

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe to get her one of the wire crates instead of the plastic one, so that she doesnt feel SO closed in....

What do you think?

The good news is, she is so good at using the bathroom outside so far! and sooo sweet...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yes they are velcro dogs at first lol!!!! as far as her whining, it is normal, as long as you make sure all her needs are taken care of potty time ect.. then leaving her there to do a little self soothing is not harmful. Remember that a puppy can only hold its bladder or should only be required to hold its bladder for 1 hr for every month old it is, so she may have had to go. a plastic crate is good, dogs feel safer inclosed in a "cave" and having a more open crate is fine, but if you already have a plastic one there is no need to change. Besides the more room you give her to go potty in her crate the more apt she is to do so, they will use the side they are NOT sleeping on to potty on and sleep in the rest. Good luck tonight and another thing you can do is put the crate next to your bed on the floor, and when she whines just put your hand on top of the crate and say shhhh, just to let her know you are there or use the command quiet, this will teach her early what that means and keep her from being yappy when she gets older as well, when she quiets, say good girl. be consistant, and never let her out of her crate when she is crying or yappy, this will train YOU in her eyes, to let her out everytime she does it and she will only continue to do it. :curl-lip:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the advice! Last night was a little bit better...she was still up most of the night but the crying/barking seems less panicky, frantic, and more just wining.

I can't believe how much she is already attached to my husband and I! What a sweet, good natured puppy!

I've never been around a puppy that is just soooooo interested in doing exactly what I'm doing....

She got a great health report from the vet yesterday and was wagging her tail and licking the vets face during the exam lol...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Sounds to me like she is a perfectly normal puppy. :) Can you put her crate up on the small table or next to your bed so she can be eye level with you. That might help initally and then transition to the crate on the floor.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awwww....puppy love! Remember this when she starts whining tonight! LOL. Actually, she will get accustomed to her new surroundings soon enough. She sounds like such a good girl with a well adjusted temperament. The way it should be. :)

She will take good care of you both in the years to come.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
So very cute!

They adjust and actually look forward to going into their safe place for the night. I liken it to when I was raising my babies. They cry at night for weeks and then suddenly they slow down and then eventually stop. It can be tiring but it will stop and you're just going to love this little puppy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Oh what a cutie!!! Congratulations!!! Don't worry it won't be long before she is sleeping through the night. I remember those time very well. lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone! Yes she has made such improvements with the crate at night!!! now only the slightest wimper, if any, when we put her to bed and she sleeps through the night for 7-8 hours with no crying or accidents! We are thrilled with the progress :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts