Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am a new member and getting my first poodle in 3 weeks! I'm getting a standard boy from Poodles of Piedmont in NC. I have done so much research on poodles that I'm exhausted and I still have so many questions.

Right now, I'm trying to decide on the correct size crate for him. His mom is 55 pounds, 24 inches at the shoulders and his dad is 65 pounds, 26 inches at the shoulders. Which crate size would you recommend? I'm looking at 2 on Amazon by MidWest, 42L x 28W x 30H and 48L x 30W x 33H.

Thanks in advance! 馃檪

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your new addition!

I would purchase the larger crate and ensure that it has a movable partition so you can expand the space as your puppy grows.

Peggy is approx. 45 lbs and only 21" at the shoulder. Her crate is 36 x 25.5 x 26.5 and she's nearly outgrown it. While she can still comfortably turn around, there's no longer the recommended 4" clearance between her head and the top.

So much easier to just start with the largest size you can accommodate.

Super Moderator
I would buy the larger crate. My boy Pogo is 26 inches and over 60 pounds. He can stand comfortably in a 33H x 48L crate. Keep in mind that your dog will hold his head higher than the level of his shoulders, especially when sitting. Plus there's no harm in buying a big crate for a dog that doesn't quite grow into it, while you'll want to replace the smaller crate if your boy ends up the size of his sire.

Registered
Crate size suggestions are often based on weight, which doesn't work for poodles. Think small gazelles in crates...it's all in the height.

Registered
I have a minipoo so I can't help you on size of crate. But I echo what Dianaleez says - crate size based on weight doesn't work. They are high for their weight. My minipoo uses crate that most large dogs would use just so I can get one tall enough for her.

Registered
I would go for the larger crate. You can make it smaller, but you can鈥檛 make a little crate bigger. And yes, Poodles weigh very little for their size鈥擣luffy weighs half the weight of my JRT mix, and they鈥檙e almost exactly the same height. Both got a good n鈥 healthy from the vet on their last visits.

Registered
Hey neighbor! We r in same area!! I have 5 month old spoo and I brought a crate with a removable partition. Smart buy cause I put teddy in one size next morning he had doubled! 馃槅that way u have a small space when little and bigger space when needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts