A) color predictions plz!
B) tail health
C) also please recommend any vitamins or supplements you guys love

Thank you so much !!

·
Registered
767 Posts
She is very cute! :)

Honestly, it's a bit hard to tell what a mixed dog is going to end up being, since genetics from both sides are playing in. And technically, you wouldn't call doodles a particular color other than 'yeah, that's a white dog' or 'yeah, that's a brown dog' since they are not purebred. However, she does look like a cream or apricot, although those are Poodle breed standard colors.

As for the tail, have you talked to the vet about fleas and worms? Even if you don't see her biting it, it is possible for her to be biting it at night, and it does seem very suspicious to me. It could be anything from environmental allergies to hormonal deficiencies, to that's simply the way her coat is.

I wouldn't feed vitamins, since if you are feeding a quality kibble, those should already be added, ending up in expensive urine that doesn't benefit the dog in any way and might overdose the dog on some. However, some people do add fish oil to their dog's diets, and they love it! It might also help with the hair on the tail. I feed glucosamine to my dogs, since one is older and the other has knee issues, however, it might be a good idea to start now to ensure that your dog has sturdy joints/a non-collapsing trachea.

Have you thought about pet insurance? If you need it, I think now might be the time to get it. If I was starting all over again afresh, I would go with Embrace, since they refund you for routine vet visits (up to a certain point).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the thorough and informative response! We give her revolution as per her vet's instructions for fleas and she's been dewormed twice already (as we switched vets after her first initial appointment at 9 weeks and the first vet allegedly dewormed her, but as we received no paperwork from this vet (and because he took her in a separate room for the deworming so we didn't witness it and we don't quite trust him as he equally gave us wrong information about feeding her) we had the new/her current vet deworm her as well just in case it hadn't actually been done at the first vet.
we do have pet insurance :) my boyfriend got it through work already, but thanks for the info about embrace because I didn't even know it was possible for pet insurance to refund routine appointments! Good to know for whenever we add to our canine family ;)!
thanks for the advice re the tail as well!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the qualifier for good kibble? We give her royal canine gastro (sold to us by first vet) which the new vet said was fine..but I feel like we can do better.

·
Registered
767 Posts
There are a lot of things that go into a good kibble--I'm still learning more and more about this myself, but generally a good indicator is high levels of animal-based proteins and fats. By those standards, Royal Canin is kind of meh, I wouldn't recommend it, but there are a lot of dogs that have tummy issues that do well on it, likely because it actually contains very little amounts of animal sources in it (which as a group are a common allergy). You're basically paying 33 bucks for 6 pounds of brewer's rice, so your instincts are quite right. :) Here's the dog food advisor page for the brand in general Royal Canin Dog Food Review | Recalls | Dog Food Advisor. For the price Royal Canin is, you could buy Farmina, which is animal-based--Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain Chicken & Pomegranate Medium & Maxi Puppy Dry Dog Food, 26.5-lb bag - Chewy.com or something similar. If you've got any questions on a particular food, I'd be happy to walk you through it! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a lot of things that go into a good kibble--I'm still learning more and more about this myself, but generally a good indicator is high levels of animal-based proteins and fats. By those standards, Royal Canin is kind of meh, I wouldn't recommend it, but there are a lot of dogs that have tummy issues that do well on it, likely because it actually contains very little amounts of animal sources in it (which as a group are a common allergy). You're basically paying 33 bucks for 6 pounds of brewer's rice, so your instincts are quite right. :) Here's the dog food advisor page for the brand in general Royal Canin Dog Food Review | Recalls | Dog Food Advisor. For the price Royal Canin is, you could buy Farmina, which is animal-based--Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain Chicken & Pomegranate Medium & Maxi Puppy Dry Dog Food, 26.5-lb bag - Chewy.com or something similar. If you've got any questions on a particular food, I'd be happy to walk you through it! :)
Thank you so so much - this is so helpful!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Poodles and poodle crosses tend to fade. I had a mini cross that looked a lot like yours as a baby, and was almost cream by old age. She faded slowly her whole life.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Funnily, i just shared one (photographed an old photo, faded from the sun). She was darker than this, the photo is faded. No puppy pictures unless i move furniture and dig through old albums, but she was apricot coloured with brown ears, similar shade to yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts