Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! we are thinking of adding a little boy to our home. I currently have 2 females (both fixed and not poodles) at home. I am curious about the dynamic
of adding a boy.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Some people will tell you the sex of a group of dogs doesn't matter at all, but I don't think there is a universal answer on that. It depends on the temperaments of each individual. My girl thinks of herself as a queen. Thankfully neither of my boys has aspirations to being anything more than a naive or prince. But my girl's personality has a lot of mischievous pot stirring in it and although all three dogs on their own are each great and various combinations of two of the three are good. All three of them together often ends up being like world war three with most of the warring being between the boys while the girl looks on with sort of an expression of "what me?, I didn't do anything!"

If your two dogs have a nice life with each other I would be asking myself why I want another dog. If I think it is for the benefit of the first two dogs then that is a silly answer usually. If it is because you have one dog who is getting older and you want a puppy now before the old dog gets too old to put up with a puppy or before the old dog passes on then be honest about that being the reason. I wanted to start training my next performance dog before my girl was ready to retire so the next dog would be ready when she does retire. Right now I am showing both of them in different levels of obedience. Fairly soon Lily will move mostly to rally and Javelin will start moving through the levels of obedience. The long term plan is very workable, but right now I am a juggler.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people will tell you the sex of a group of dogs doesn't matter at all, but I don't think there is a universal answer on that. It depends on the temperaments of each individual. My girl thinks of herself as a queen. Thankfully neither of my boys has aspirations to being anything more than a naive or prince. But my girl's personality has a lot of mischievous pot stirring in it and although all three dogs on their own are each great and various combinations of two of the three are good. All three of them together often ends up being like world war three with most of the warring being between the boys while the girl looks on with sort of an expression of "what me?, I didn't do anything!"

If your two dogs have a nice life with each other I would be asking myself why I want another dog. If I think it is for the benefit of the first two dogs then that is a silly answer usually. If it is because you have one dog who is getting older and you want a puppy now before the old dog gets too old to put up with a puppy or before the old dog passes on then be honest about that being the reason. I wanted to start training my next performance dog before my girl was ready to retire so the next dog would be ready when she does retire. Right now I am showing both of them in different levels of obedience. Fairly soon Lily will move mostly to rally and Javelin will start moving through the levels of obedience. The long term plan is very workable, but right now I am a juggler.

Thank you for your reply!

we have always had a fur family of 3.. we lost our little girl last year to CHF, and the dynamic of my 2, 1 is very much a loner, while the other one enjoys the company of another dog..

sorry i should have added it will not be a puppy. we will be adding an adult dog to our home.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I have 4 dogs in my house. A female cairn terrier...she is the alpha and puts up with nothing..all toys belong to her...lol I find female dogs to just be more independent or dominant , but thats just my experience. I have had one that was laid back. Then I have a 16 y ear old chihuahua, ( a male) I got him when he was 2, He to was more independent than other dogs I've had but I think that may be a chihuahua thing. Then we have a boxer (male)(he belongs to my daughter) he is laid back and very well behaved.Then along comes Renn my st poodle (male) he is very sweet but a bit of a wild man at times but he is on ly 9 months. So a work in progress. To me males are easier to housebreak and more cuddly but females can be too it depends on the dog. If your bringing in an adult dog you will just have to meet the dog, see his/her personality then do a meet and greet with your dogs. For me bringing in an adult dog sometimes takes a bit longer for everyone to "fit".

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Mufar I agree with you about females. After all there is a reason bossy women are referred to as bitches (not that such appellations are okay to use in referring to strong wome).

Reactions: BorderKelpie
1 - 5 of 5 Posts