Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our toy poodle puppy is 11 months old, we got him when he was 6 months old. I've been brushing and trying to keep his fur tangle free, along with occasional groomings. Then, I got Covid. I was very sick for 2 weeks and my poor husband was taking care of me and the kids who were quarantine, and the puppy didn't get brushed. His poor fur got very matted all over. The groomer came and said there wasn't much left to do at this point but shave all of him (not sure why she couldn't have left his tail fur, it wasn't tangled). He looks like a sad little rat now. :(
I have 3 questions: How do I best keep him tangle free? Is there a good conditioner I should be using? How long (approximately) will it take for some of his hair to grow back so he looks like a poodle again?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hair grows fast! He should be looking more normal after a month or so. Frequent brushing with a slicker is the best way to stay tangle free. Use a good detangling spray and a quality conditioner. There are many good ones. I like Nature's Specialties brand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hair grows fast! He should be looking more normal after a month or so. Frequent brushing with a slicker is the best way to stay tangle free. Use a good detangling spray and a quality conditioner. There are many good ones. I like Nature's Specialties brand.
Thanks for the info, I'll look into those. I just noticed the groomer nicked a pretty large spot under his front legs. :( I contacted her and she did say she wouldn't deposit the check for the groom and if we had to take him to the vet she would cover the vet bill. It's not bleeding anymore, but it's raw. Problem is, I can't take him to the vet to even have it looked at because my household is still under quarantine from my having covid.

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
Also your pup is probably going through coat change so any lapse in grooming is a horror show, matting happens in a blink of an eye.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll look into those. I just noticed the groomer nicked a pretty large spot under his front legs. :( I contacted her and she did say she wouldn't deposit the check for the groom and if we had to take him to the vet she would cover the vet bill. It's not bleeding anymore, but it's raw. Problem is, I can't take him to the vet to even have it looked at because my household is still under quarantine from my having covid.
Can you post a photo? It is super easy to nick the skin if the matting is bad. It could also be a clipper burn from heat.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
We can’t see anything from this picture. Make sure to desinfect the wound and that your dog can’t lick it. If he can, then he needs to wear a cone.

You can learn to groom your dog yourself, it’s not hard. I groom my two toys and I actually enjoy it. What I hate is giving baths, as my sink is too small in my new house and I break my back using the tub...

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
Oh that looks painful. :( And I'm so sorry your family's been hit by covid. Hoping you're back to 100% soon.

I butchered Peggy's coat in the first months of quarantine, and she was ready to be properly clipped/shaped within about 6 weeks, and by 8 weeks she was looking lovely again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts