Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are any knowledgeable people here and I am constantly learning. I am older and have had many dogs in my life but Renn is my 1st stpoodle. He is 8 months old. The are very smart, learn quickly..both the good and the bad...lol and mine is very energetic sort of like that energizer rabbit. Lots of grooming involved. I am really happy with my guy and should have had a stpoo years ago.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Welcome to PF. I am sure you will be able to find lots of helpful ideas here, but feel free to ask questions if you have a concern you don't find addressed.

I have two standard poodles and they are awesome dogs. I think they can be excellent dogs for families with children since they are sturdy and athletic and can make good play mates. For any family dog it is important to remember that dogs and kids should be supervised when together and also the children should be taught to be good dog trainers and help with the dog.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would there be any concerns with having a 2 and 5 year old as well as older kids in the house? Would a standard poodle be easily overwhelmed with a busy household that occasionally is loud, verging on rowdy...any thoughts are appreciated

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I can't say that there would be particular concerns regarding poodles and children the ages your kids are that are breed related. Any dog will have moments where rowdiness is not going to be appreciated and for those times it would be well worth it to either have your dog able to chill in a crate or expen with the rule that the kids have to respect that space and time. I think it is more a matter of having all children who are around your dog understand rules like no pulling on ears or tails, no taking things from the dog's mouth, etc that you would do with any dog and young children.

Reactions: Streetcar
1 - 5 of 5 Posts