Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! :) I have a question about my baby poodle Zaira. She's almost 4 months old, she is about 10.6 inches and weight 6 pounds. The owner told us that she will be small, her mom is petite min, dad is "standard" miniature. She seems quite big for a "petite" I do not think she'll be small when she grows up...do u have any experiences like that? I'm just curious, I love her no matter what, what size do you think she will be?

Thanks for all the answers:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome to you and Zaira! I am a standard person, like MaizieFrosty, so I cannot help with personal experience. My pup is 6 months old at over 50 lbs LOL!
I would love to see photos of your precious baby!

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
First welcome to PF. I also have standards, so no help from me, just the hello.

Next I tried that link twyla and it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I will weigh mine tomorrow but last week my boy was 5 1/2 lbs at 10 weeks ( he could be a little heavier he is very lean), a girl was 5.7lbs and my girl was 4.5lbs. I didn’t measure but I will tomorrow since they will be 11 weeks. Their mom was 8lbs at 11 weeks at the same age and she ended going to 15 1/2 inches 17-18lns. I will have to go back and look at my old post to see if I measured.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I went and checked and Sandy at 15 weeks was 8.11lbs and ended up being oversize. I wished I had done her measurements. Looks like she stayed around 8lbs for awhile.

Really not sure if you can tell by weight though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to you and your Mini poodle. I have 2 myself and at 5 months old they did weigh over 13lds. At 8 months and 14 months they are within 1/2 pound of each other at 17 lds and 17 1/2 lds. The oldest is 15 inches and the younger one is 14 inches. So neither are petite, but they're sturdy athletic boys and about the size I expected them to be from seeing their parents.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
It looks small for a mini. My toy was about 5-6 pounds at 4 months and she is 8 pounds as an adult. I would think your mini will be about 10 pounds.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Maybe she will be in size or on the smaller side?

My mini was the runt of the litter and at 4 months, he was 6lbs 14 oz and 10.5” at the withers. He is 2.5 years old now and he is 14lbs and 13.5” at the withers. He could afford to lose 1 -2 lbs though..lol. Boys are also generally larger than girls?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think she will be on the small side. My boy was around 8 lbs at 16 weeks and I expect him to be 16-18 lbs as an adult and 14-15 inches I think based on his parents. At 10 weeks he was 5.6 lbs. Now he's 6 months and 14 lbs, so I think he's on track to reach what I expect.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Zaira!

I have two mini boys, now 2 years 5m. Their mother was a mini on the smaller side, their father was an oversize toy, about 11 inches tall. They both weighed about 10lbs.

Neo is my larger boy. At 13 weeks and 4 days, he was 6.1 lbs. Remo is a bit smaller, at that time he weighed 5 lbs. I've no clue how tall they were.

At 18 weeks, Neo was up to 8.8 lbs and Remo was 7.1 lbs. I still had no idea of how tall they were, dang it. They would NOT hold still lol.

Currently, Neo is 14 lbs +/- and Remo is 12 lbs +/-. I've thought Neo was now about 14" at the shoulder but it might be a bit less. Remo is about an inch shorter. Still having difficulty measuring them.

This photo is from 9-23-19. Our model is about 5'9" for perspective.

IMG_20190923_165215 (2).jpg

Mine outgrew their parents. I couldn't tell you if it's genetics from previous generations, different and possibly better food than their parents were given, some of both or some other reason entirely.

They do have growth spurts so it's hard to predict where she'll end up. There are equations which predict adult size based on size at an earlier age but I don't remember the formula.
I can say that mine just happened to quintuple their just over 8 week age of 2.8 lbs and 2.3 lbs to their current weight neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Twyla, that link didn't work for me either.
I have a nine month old mini, I think she’s about 15 lbs now and I’d guess 13-14 at the withers. I haven’t weighed her lately or measured height but Lily, my other dog is 12 inches, and Gracie is an inch or two taller.

The weights I remember from Gracie were:

3.1 lbs at 8 weeks
4 lbs at 9 1/2 weeks
8.7 lbs at 15 weeks

Gracie’s mom was on the larger size and her grandma was average size. I only saw pictures of dad as he was showing, but he looked to be average size. I also met a half sister who was larger and her cousin is in agility with us, and he is probably 18 lbs full grown.

I imagine Gracie will get a little bigger, she’s a lean and lanky teenager now and probably has a little more growing and filling out to do. She has a big personality so her body will match her psyche!

Here’s recent pics of my girl- let’s see pics of your pup!

Attachments

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
She looks like a cutie! Love those black poodles, but they’re so hard to get good shots of. The best pics I have of Gracie are is sunlight. A groomer once told me that black poodles have the best coats. I don’t know if that’s true, but Gracie has the most beautiful, luxurious, soft coat, it’s like black velvet!

Share pics as she grows!

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sure will:) btw doesnt she seem a bit too skinny for 10.5 Inch? She weights only 6.6 pounds...but she is eating well;)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts