Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here. We have a 4 month old mini poodle. Looking for recommendations for puppy food. Our vet thinks she is allergic to the current brand - diamond naturals chicken and rice - dry food. She has been fussy about eating it, and threw up twice. Vet did xrays and her stomach lining is inflamed (no blockages luckily). Taking a few days of hamburger and rice then transitioning to a new puppy food. Recommendations welcomed! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Find him a really picky eater, Asta. Wanted to get him off Grain Free. Purina ProPlanSport, then ProPlan with chicken shredded. Found out that both these foods caused bad constipation (poor ASTA)

Called the vet and he said to try him on Science Diet far awhile (an average food DogFoodAdvisor)
BTW vet did not push in any way to try the Science Diet - he only carries the prescription foods. Told me to try Chewey.

Chewey is marvelous. They refunded my money on the ProPlans and told me to donate the food to a local rescue or shelter. I really hope the Science diet works, otherwise I will become well-known at the rescue. If you want to try out foods, I would always order from Chewey. If you dog doesn't like it, they will cheerily refund your money and in every time I was left with product, they always have me take to the rescue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Diamond also makes Taste of the Wild. Whenever I can't feed raw for some reason, I feed TOTW. Not the red/burgundy bag, though. Both dogs (border collie and Boston terrier) did not do well on that kind. You can find TOTW at Tractor Supply in 4 or 5 pound bags. Sometimes they have sample packs.

If you don't mind cooking hamburger. and rice, try that for all time. Except, don't cook the meat. Look up raw prey model.

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
Peggy was also vomiting on Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice. That's what her breeder was feeding her, and Peggy was very underweight when we brought her home at almost 9 weeks.

After three days of not keeping what little kibble she was eating down, I gave her a full non-kibble day, where she just ate boiled boneless skinless chicken breast, shredded finely in the food processor.

When she kept that down with no issue, I started incorporating Nutro Ultra Puppy kibble into her meals, a little bit more each time, until she was back to just kibble (mixed with a small amount of filtered water), this time with zero issues,

She's had a healthy appetite ever since—good, firm poops and steady weight gain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts