Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided that I really needed to replace the grooming table I built over 40 years ago. When I was showing standard poodles I built several grooming tables (plywood tops covered with rubber matting and edge banded with aluminum banding, metal folding table legs). I could build them to be like the commercial ones for significantly less money.

However, the years have taken their toll - the legs are rusty and the banding is loosening. So I got a 38 inch long Flying Pig table that matches my little one that I take to shows. Why a big one? Well, I suspect another standard poodle is in my future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,574 Posts
Yay, you to have gotten 40 years of use out of a table you built! Here’s to two score more and a Spoo too:)

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
I am truly impressed by how handy you are Johanna, grooming tables, furniture...wow! I think the long life of your home built tables says lots about the quality of your work. I think a new spoo will really like being part of your pack when the time comes.

ETA: I see that table on sale at Chewy and at Flying Pig. I have long thought about a new table since I don't love the height of my current one for Javelin. It is okay with Lily, but isn't adjustable. Maybe I will order one too. I love the shelf underneath.

Reactions: Johanna

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I have the cheapo version (minipoo size) that I bought on eBay. I love the shelf, it’s so handy. I think mine is the same as flying pig because they have these at the grooming salon where I used to take Babykins in addition to the hydraulic ones. But I wish I had a hydraulic table so I could adjust the height as I groomed my dog. Problem is hydraulic tables are incredibly heavy and don’t fold for storage or to be moved like this Flying Pig table.

It’s amazing that you got such good use out of your home made table. It’s a testament to your skill in construction.

And Oh my. Are you getting a spoo? I’m officially jealous, I want one too.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Skylar I also would love to have gotten a hydraulic table so I could adjust the height, but since it would have to make it to my upstairs grooming room I just don't see it happening. I ordered the Flying Pig a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have that one too! I love it. Now if I can just get Lily May to behave for grooming!

Wish I had space to leave it up all the time.

For short grooming-training sessions with Lily, I put a rubber bathtub mat on my kitchen island. Works great!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Skylar I also would love to have gotten a hydraulic table so I could adjust the height, but since it would have to make it to my upstairs grooming room I just don't see it happening. I ordered the Flying Pig a few minutes ago.
Don’t blame you. You need serious muscle power to budge those heavy hydraulic tables. It’s nice to be able to fold the table and carry to another part of the house if needed.

Joanna are you going to get a standard poodle to show in conformation?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the flowers, Catherine! I think you'll like your new grooming table. I keep my force dryer on the rack below - fits perfectly.

Yes, a hydraulic table would certainly be nice, but that's not in my price range! I have often suggested to tall people that they add risers to grooming table legs. Interestingly, I have a workbench (for woodworking) that can be raised and lowered. I suppose one could order the legs for it and put a grooming table top on them.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Johanna are you going to get a standard poodle to show in conformation?

I won't be getting another dog right away - four dogs is a house full. But when I do, it will definitely be a spoo. I doubt I will show one; the coat care for a standard is more than I'm willing to tackle at my age. I will probably look for a good obedience and agility candidate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts