Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting an 8-month-old standard in a few weeks. I wish I could get her now but we have two trips planned and I don't want to board her so soon after we get her. We looked at a Lagotto Romagnolo but we couldn't find a reputable breeder within a reasonable distance.

We don't know how big she will be but the breeder said they think 22-24". Due to this, what size of wired crate should I get? Currently, we have a 22" high crate from our last dog, a JRT.

This will be my first dog that isn't a JRT or a JRT/BC mix. It will be interesting to have a calmer dog. All of my previous dogs came from working dogs on Amish farms.

·
Premium Member
23,246 Posts
We have those style crates too, but for Javelin who is 24" at withers I use a 42" size if needed at home and a 36" on the road.

BTW I hate to say this but Amish farms are notorius as puppy mills and it is hard to imagine that they breed so many jrt and jrt/bc mixes (specifically) that they need to sell the excess stock. Many years ago I was at an Amish market on St. Mary's peninsula in Maryland and was pretty dumbstruck by how many beagle and beagle mix pups were there in ex pens for sale on the cheap, probably could have brought home more than ten pups for what I paid for just Javelin. Not so sure I think the kindly Amish farmer just happens to have a couple of extra working dogs to sell... https://www.thepuppymillproject.org/amish-puppy-mills/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts