Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought some EVO today, all my guys inhaled it, except for Jamie, shes been picking at her food lately. Brian asked for seconds. and Kaden, who usually throws plain kibble, ate all of his!

Horray!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
glad that they liked it. I wish we had a reliable source for it here but sadly we don't :( Bummer. I found it not long ago at a petland near where I work and I bought it for my ferrets, (they love it). They didn't really have the dog food though and every time I've been back they have either one bag or none at all. I asked the manager about it and she said it doesn't sell so they don't order it very often and not very many bags. They are going to stop carring it in fact.

I'm really leaning towards going back to solid gold for the little dogs and maybe letting the spoo's give it a try.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solid gold is only sold at one store here, and they only carry a few things from them. (its a grooming shop) and i haven't tried it

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I was kind of slow to try it when I first came in contact with it to be honest. I am the type of person who isn't quick to trust I suppose I find things that I like and am very resistant to change. I use the seameal with the poodles and like it. My tibbies have done best on the solid gold wee bites food. Wonder especialy, she's the one who really sold me on the product line to be honest. She went from being skinny, picky, sparse coated dog that I couldn't seem to get in condition to show to being really awsome.
There is still the cost issue which, with a baby on the way, is more important than it once was. I think I may give chicken soup another try, or perhaps wellness?

I lost my source for the solid gold it and the price went through the roof at the only other place I could get it localy so I quit feeding it about a year ago and went to Blue Buffalo. That was when we got our first spoo and I was looking for something to feed a much larger dog that would still be affordable. Now though I have another reliable source for it at a newer pet store so I might switch back to it... then again I might not LoL.

I reccently tried our spoo puppy Saleen on Taste of the Wild and it proved to be disapointing :( She'd had such a gas problem on the blue that I was up for a change when somebody here suggested the food. The first formula I tried made her stink, it was the fish one. Ewwww, no matter what I bathed her in her skin just had a fishy odor. I can deal with fishy breath, but not with fishy all over smell. I tried one of the other formulas next and just didn't see anything in her that would suggest she should stay on that food. Bummer.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im just scared that if I start feeding them something sort of rare, that the store will either run out or stop carrying it. I fed Nurto for years, but a couple of my dogs werent doing well on it, and then all the stuff with the recalls happened.

ive tried a thousand things, and the EVO seems to be good for now, we are still mixing it with the Merrick so we shall see how it goes

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh do you like the merrick then? A friend of mine was feeding it to her dog and then the petstore suddenly decided to no longer carry the dry food. Were you feeding the dry food with added water? My friend spent about an hour telling me one day that you had to do that or it would swell up in their stomach if they ate it and then drank water? I wasn't impressed. When it became impossible to get it in dry form she switched to eninova. Her dog is gaining weight on it because she insists she feed the same amount that she was feeding with the merrick. She doesn't understand why some foods are fed at different amount and I am sick of trying to explain it to her lol.

I fed nutro for years too, reccomended it for a lot of those years. I stopped feeding it a few years back for basicly the same reasons as you. I switched back to it 18 months ago when my identity and all my bank info was stolen. I couldn't afford the solid gold then, I had a -500.00 balance in my bank account. One 5 pound bag was all it took, I'll never touch the stuff again. Both the dog's caots dried up and fell out, and they were so itchy.

Bought a bag of the chicken soup today to see how the poodles do on it. It's less expensive and I checked and double checked the lable to assure it was corn free. I have to watch it sometimes since my older tibbie has a corn allergy. I don't think it is quite as good as what I was feeding, but it'll do for now. I have enough left of my previous food to do the switch.

I'm wondering about switching Saleen our 9 mo old spoo back to puppy food. She eats very well, never misses a meal, but seems sooo skinny. I'd like her lean but she's no fun to cuddle with because she seems so boney lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts