Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Celtikiti:

No wonder then, our Can. made foods are as expensive in the U.S. as the U.S. made ones are here in Cda. That's logical.

I am just wondering why would you feed a Cda. made food when there are so many wonderful foods made by U.S> companies which you can find as good a quality and more reasonably priced? and what is the Cda. food you feed your dogs?
I feed him Go! Naturals Grain Free Endurance. Go Natural Grain Free Dog Food
When I was looking for a new dog food for Kodi I needed a few specifics:

1. A higher calorie content. Was looking for around 450Kcal/cup- he's little and won't eat more than 1 cup a day (1/2 twice daily) but is very active with a high metabolism
2. Grain Free
3. Very high quality
4. He would EAT IT!! (Picky boy!!)

I had it narrowed down to a few. Based on ingredients, availability, glucosamine content, price, user reviews and if he would eat it I ended with Go! He did well on EVO for about a year but stopped eating it, and I don't think he needs the 500+Kcal/cup anymore. I also didn't want to start on a food that was recently bought out by a larger company for fear the formulation/quality would change.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I also didn't want to start on a food that was recently bought out by a larger company for fear the formulation/quality would change.[/QUOTE]
Celtikiti:

That is what concerned me most.. I stopped buying Wellness after they were bought out. I heard that the quality control has dropped significantly and I stopped Wellness and also Innova, I no longer cared for either. But wellness is what worried me most.

Acana and especially FROMM are foods I trust. Wellness has changed their ingredients once my dogs got so sick on it so I switched completely and dumped wellness food. The quality control is no longer what it used to be with this food.... so I moved on.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I also didn't want to start on a food that was recently bought out by a larger company for fear the formulation/quality would change.

Celtikiti:

That is what concerned me most.. I stopped buying Wellness after they were bought out. I heard that the quality control has dropped significantly and I stopped Wellness and also Innova, I no longer cared for either. But wellness is what worried me most.

Acana and especially FROMM are foods I trust. Wellness has changed their ingredients once my dogs got so sick on it so I switched completely and dumped wellness food. The quality control is no longer what it used to be with this food.... so I moved on.[/QUOTE]

that is what happened to Eagle once they sold out it was over.. what a mess... I fed that food for 15 years then poof !

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
bigredpoodle;120420[B said:
]Fromm is kinda ???? [/B]
I am feeding TOW but also evangers chicken and rice plus we do modified raw...

I DONT THINK SO !!!:)

Fromm is an AMAZING food.

I do blood panel kidney and liver functions on my dogs including SMAC and WBC etc. etc.. on a yearly basis and I can tell you for a fact that what you put into your dogs you get out of them and my dogs are a picture of health and have stamina .

Not to mention I have very long lived dogs 14-16 years, and have never had a Fair hip, only Good, including recently two excellents (Cole and Lola)

Must be then the "Fromm Is Kinda???" food :)

And.. oh yes, I do give raw, I do make my dogs Satin Balls and also give them cooked legumes, raw beef and ground veggies into their food.
The Satin ball they get as a treat before bedtime (1/4 pound each satin ball)

I think they are doing well with FROMM and the extras.. I am very happy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I feed Poppy Taste of the Wild, get it from our local Tractor Supply, around $40-$45 for a 30 lb bag. The bag lasts around a month, and I feed her about 2.5-3 cups a day, based on the bag recommendation. Its grain free and although she had not show grain allergy signs, I just figured since it seems common in Standards, I would start that way. In addition to feeding less because of not having fillers, she also has much less poop and it decomposes pretty rapidly. I generally only pick-up the back yard once per month and don't get a ton then. She also gets some plain yougurt on her food in the morning, good for her digestive system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for all the food info. There is a lot more than I would've ever imagined. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed.
There was some talk about feeding large breed or adult food to slow their growth. At the risk of sounding stupid, why would you want to slow their growth?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another stupid question but, how much do I feed him? I know the bag has recommendations, but how will I know if that's enough or too much?
Do I just feed him in the morning and evening, like breakfast and dinner? I know it sounds like I've never had a pet before, but I promise I have. But until we decided to get this puppy, I hadn't ever done any research into all these things. With the cat, we just put food and water in his dish, he's pretty independent. We've never had such a young puppy before so we just want to make sure we start the right way and stay that way.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Thanks for all the food info. There is a lot more than I would've ever imagined. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed.
There was some talk about feeding large breed or adult food to slow their growth. At the risk of sounding stupid, why would you want to slow their growth?
They can develop a very painful condition called Panosteitis if they grow too quickly. You want to feed them a diet that will encourage slow and steady growth without any rapid spurts.

It used to be believed that you should feed supplemental calcium to help puppies grow more quickly, but is now understood that this is actually harmful. That is why it is important to feed a food without excessive calcium. Adult foods and also large breed puppy foods generally have better levels of calcium than Puppy food.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It makes me so sad that so many great companies sold out to the large corporations. First Wellness, then Eagle Holistic Selects and now Innova/Evo. :(

Poodleluver:

This is the main reason why I had stopped feeding (years ago) Wellness and Innova. I used to feed both periodically but not after they have been turned over .

Fromm is a family based business and they will never change this. This is the reason why I believe that quality control is better with Fromm than with the other aforementioned brands.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Just wanted to add in my two cents worth ;)

I currently feed Diamond Naturals: Lamb & Rice. We feed 7 dogs ranging in size from 7 pounds to 65 pounds and they all are doing great on it. If you're like me and have a limited about of money to spend on food I would by the best I can afford and right now, for me, its DN:LR

If/when I am back down to just our 7 (I have 10 foster dogs) they will be switched to Taste of The Wild. I feed my cats ToTW and they are in such good condition.

I agree with feeding the highest quality (you can afford) as in the long run will save you time and money.

Same goes for treats ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I just boil any meat.. Stella LOVES worcestershire and so did my doberman! So I put a tiny shake of that in her food..she loves it. I boil chicken, pork or grill it. Or if its ground meat I just cook in a pan on the stove..like I would for us! Easy is the key.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I usually buy homemade biscuits at dog events or at the feed store. I tried making my biscuits before. Riley really liked them. I just totally winged it, and they turned out fine.

For one recepie it was About
1c wheat flour
1c oats
1c bran or something else i had on hand for a binder
1/2c-ish crunchy peanut butter
enough water to mix

Another time i substutied the PB for parmasean cheese and bacon bits. I baked them both for about an hour i believe on like 250ish to dry them out but not burn. I used bone and fire hydrant shaped cookie cutters! Riley LOVED them, and they turned out great!!! If i needed more binder i would add more flour, wetter then add more water. I worked the dough with my hands so it was firm enough to roll out without sticking to everything, but not crumble.
I froze them in like 10 to a baggie and just dethawed what we needed. I learned the hard way that they do not keep at room temp for a long time (like over 2 weeks in my basement), or they will get moldy. :( Hense the freezing and it works great! I havnt taken the time to do them since though. I think i need to get them really dry and crunchy though next time.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Thanks for recipes. I am going to make my own.. Here the hollistic ones sell for $3.24 a pound.. Insane. I can bend over an oven for this amount, LOL

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i got worried years ago when wellness sold out, but it's consistently been good for my dogs from then to now.

isn't totw another diamond brand? it was too rich for my dogs so back to wellness we went.

my retailer is also working on getting orijen in ... it's stalled because they are also a non profit 501 c3.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I like to make my treats. I normally just Google or Bing "dog treat recipes" & pick one that sounds good and a easy.

Or if I don't have the time I will buy Loving Pets brand treats they are all natural, no by products, no preservative. I'm not sure if I'm aloud post a link to their website so just do Google/Bing search ;)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Just wanted to add in my two cents worth ;)

ISame goes for treats ;)[/QUOTE]

If you are doing the latter do you mind sharing your recipies here.
Thanks
Ora, this recipe is from my obedience friend Irma, who got it from a conformation friend. These are a big hit with Dexter, and freeze well. Other than these, I cook beef or chicken for all of us in the slow cooker.

The note about removing the bones is from Irma, not me. I buy the wild canned salmon with the bones and crush them up with my fingers and keep them in, as they are a good source of calcium.

1 cup canned salmon - approx. 15 oz - my preference is to drain the juice off and
remove the spinal column bones.
1 egg
1 cup of rice baby cereal
Combine all in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
Roll out on a cookie sheet to a thickness of approx. 1/4 inch. These stick to the
cookie sheet, so I spray it with Pam first.
Score the rolled out mixture in approximately 1 inch squares
Bake in 350 - 375 oven for approx 20 - 25 minutes, until browned. They can be baked
longer if a crispy treat is preferred.
Once out of the oven and cooled, I cut along the scored lines and freeze the treats.
When I am ready to use them, I take the frozen squares and cut them into 4ths - I
prefer small treat sizes.
The recipe can be adjusted to preferences - other flavored baby cereal can be used,
and tuna can be used (adjusted for size of the container of course.)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts