Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a thread about food on here all morning and I'm just not finding what I'm looking for; so my apologies for starting another thread about dog food.

We are picking up Max (our standard poodle puppy) this weekend to bring him home. He is currently eating Blue Buffalo puppy food. I have been googling and reading reviews on different foods, but I wanted some input from people!

My biggest question is are there any foods out there that are still good, but maybe just a little less expensive? I want to give him good food but I also don't wanna break the bank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
acana and orijen are good as with EVO...

That said keep in mind GOOD quality food has less fillers (well practically none) so your feeding LESS cups/day then say on Eukanuba.
So price works out about the same in the end/month :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
acana and orijen are good as with EVO...

That said keep in mind GOOD quality food has less fillers (well practically none) so your feeding LESS cups/day then say on Eukanuba.
So price works out about the same in the end/month :)
EXACTLY - The cheap brands packed full of crap and go through the dog and your servings are more than say BB or better quality foods. So money wise, it really does even itself out in the long run.

I have heard that Kirklands at Costco is similar ingredients as BB - and it's cheaper. I do not know this or effects but have seen it recommended many times.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My sister used to feed Kirkland. If I had to economize, that's probably how I would do it. But her vet convinced her that she got what she paid for, and she now feeds something else (Wellness, I believe).

Ditto the other posters' comments to look at the feeding directions/quantities when you are doing the math. I fed my first poodle two cups of Eukanuba twice a day. Dexter gets less than a cup of Evo plus some mix-ins twice a day.

If you really can't afford a premium food in the long run, I would at least try to keep your pup on a high grade food while he is a puppy.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Blue Buffalo is a decent food if you want to keep him on that.

I feed my standard poodle puppy Innova Large Breed Puppy. Actually, she eats Nature's Variety Raw Medallions for breakfast and Innova LB Puppy for dinner.

Other great foods: Orijen, Acana, Solid Gold, Fromm, Nature's Variety. These foods (except Solid Gold) will only be available at independent stores. Chains and supermarkets will not carry these high quality foods.

Solid Gold, Wellness and Natural Balance are good foods available at Petco. Wellness is also available at Petsmart.

I would recommend that you only feed your puppy either large breed puppy food or regular adult food to slow growth.

Also, look for formulas without citric acid if possible because it is thought to possibly contribute to bloat.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
ChocolateMIllie:

I am not sure if it was you who knew so much about Calcium versus Phosphorous ratio in dog food so please let me know.

I remember a gal here who knew alot about the above and I would like her opinion or yours if it was you... I just dont remember the thread anymore.

I feed Fromm as you know.

I am looking at switching only ONE of my dogs onto Fromm Surf & Turf because he will be on a show circuit and my handler prefers them chunkier than I would and she feels my boy should gain a bit of weight.

He is now 9 mos. old a good eater, eats 4 cups a day of Fromm Salm A La Veggies and my handler feels it is not putting weight on him as SHE would like, (he looks and feels fine to me), she wants them fuller though.

MY question therefore is:

The Fromm Surf and Turf is Grain free. Contains 30% protein (I am comfortable with this amount but not higher) and has 19% fat which is good.

It contains 1.0% Calcium and 0.9% Phosphorous.

IS THIS a proper ration to give to a puppy of his age (9 mos.)

Also would like to mention he is a VERY BIG boy, he is very tall 25.5 at shoulder and quite substantial for his age (size wise)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! :)

We feed Acana Wild Prairie (a no grain food) for our crew. We also feed raw, which they LOVE. :p We are happy, our crew is happy!!!

We'd love to see pics of your boy when you get him!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I feed "Taste of the Wild"... I have found it to be the most affordable high quality food...and it is grain free. It costs about 42.99 for a 30lb bag. I actually found it for 37.99 for a 30 lb bag at a store near me.

Also Canidae you can get a 44 lb bag for 44.00. Not sure if that is great or not, but it got a 5 star rating on that dogfoodanalysis.com... TOTW got a 6.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Dog owners in the U.S. are very fortunate to be able to get premium quality food SO CHEAP. I would definitely not bother to complain over a $44.00 bag of 30 pounds.

I pay for a bag of Fromm Salmon A La Veggies $74.00 plus 15% tax.

for a bag of Acana 64.95 Plus tax

For a bag of Fromm Surf and Turf $85.00 plus tax

I feed now 5 dogs and have 7 puppies which will consume an average of 3-5 cups per day..

I hate to tell you what this costs me.. LOL but they are my babies and they get the best.

I feed both Acana Pacifica (no grain) my dogs are allergic to poultry and also Fromm 4 star Salmon A La Veggies.

My lactating female I now am putting on a $90.00 bag of Fromm Surf & Turf.

I WISH I had your U.S. prices here in Canada. and Ontario is more expensive than in our city.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
ChocolateMIllie:

I am not sure if it was you who knew so much about Calcium versus Phosphorous ratio in dog food so please let me know.

I remember a gal here who knew alot about the above and I would like her opinion or yours if it was you... I just dont remember the thread anymore.

I feed Fromm as you know.

I am looking at switching only ONE of my dogs onto Fromm Surf & Turf because he will be on a show circuit and my handler prefers them chunkier than I would and she feels my boy should gain a bit of weight.

He is now 9 mos. old a good eater, eats 4 cups a day of Fromm Salm A La Veggies and my handler feels it is not putting weight on him as SHE would like, (he looks and feels fine to me), she wants them fuller though.

MY question therefore is:

The Fromm Surf and Turf is Grain free. Contains 30% protein (I am comfortable with this amount but not higher) and has 19% fat which is good.

It contains 1.0% Calcium and 0.9% Phosphorous.

IS THIS a proper ration to give to a puppy of his age (9 mos.)

Also would like to mention he is a VERY BIG boy, he is very tall 25.5 at shoulder and quite substantial for his age (size wise)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !
Yep, that was me! I am not an expert, and to be honest I am still trying to learn more about this, but from what I have read and heard those are good levels! Innova LB Puppy is .9 calcium and .72 phosphorus, which is the lowest I have seen and Surf & Turf is not too far off from that!! :) I think the most important thing is that you want Calcium below 1.5%, if possible. I just wouldn't want to feed a puppy spoo a food that had like 1.9 -2+% Calcium. I think those really high ranges are where you risk the possibility of growing too fast. That is why I am waiting to feed Millie Instinct - it has, depending on formula, 1.9-2.5% calcium!!!!

I am very interested in this whole topic! (Probably because I almost went to school to become a dietician..). I really would like to find a good holistic veterinarian or someone who knows a lot about dog nutrition!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
CHocmillie:

Thanks ok, another question:

IF I were to switch my 9 mos. old puppy to grain free Acana (he is now eating Fromm Salm. Veggies which contains grain).
If I switch to Acana,
the Acana has 33% protein
15% fat
1.4% Calcium
1.1% phosphorous.

WOULD YOU recommend this food for a 9 months old puppy which is still growing but NOT for long as stand. poodles stop growing but only start filling ouT by age 9-10 mos.

Please let me know.

You also mention that you will be feeding your Millie 1.9-2.5% calcium. Then I thought you frowned upon high calcium levels.. so I am confused by your statement re: high calcium and you waiting to feed your girl this amount???

Or I could be mistaken, is it because she will no longer be a growing puppy at the time you will be switching her to the high calcium levels?

Please clarify.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
CHocmillie:

Thanks ok, another question:

IF I were to switch my 9 mos. old puppy to grain free Acana (he is now eating Fromm Salm. Veggies which contains grain).
If I switch to Acana,
the Acana has 33% protein
15% fat
1.4% Calcium
1.1% phosphorous.

WOULD YOU recommend this food for a 9 months old puppy which is still growing but NOT for long as stand. poodles stop growing but only start filling ouT by age 9-10 mos.

Please let me know.

You also mention that you will be feeding your Millie 1.9-2.5% calcium. Then I thought you frowned upon high calcium levels.. so I am confused by your statement re: high calcium and you waiting to feed your girl this amount???

Or I could be mistaken, is it because she will no longer be a growing puppy at the time you will be switching her to the high calcium levels?

Please clarify.
Thanks
Yes, I am waiting until she is done growing (or at least very close to done) until I feed her the Instinct Kibble with 1.9-2.5% protein. (Well, sometimes I give her a handful because its what Henry eats and she LOVES it, but that's not enough to have an effect, I don't think.)

I have read some studies that say you should avoid excess levels of calcium until 80% of growth. At 9 months you are probably done with the vast majority and I would think 1.4% calcium is fine!

See, this is where I get confused. Orijen has a Large Breed puppy food that says it has balanced calcium and phos. levels to slow growth, and they have
1.7% calcium. Because Orijen is such a reputable company, that makes me think maybe 1.7 isn't too high. But I think that is the limit. I DO think that 1.9 or above is too high.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
CHocmillie:

Both Acana and Orijen are made by the same company Champion Pet foods.
They have a breeder's program to which I have signed today to get it cheaper meaning when you buy 6 bags anywhere you get 1 for free, so if you purchase 12 you get 14 bags for the price of 12 only which is not bad.

Fromm requires you to purchase 12 bags to be able to get 1 for free

Ok now that you have explained that I am SAFE with feeding my 9-10 mos. old pup Acana with a ratio of 1.4% protein, my next question is:
You see I am drilling you.. LOLOL:)

Do you believe that GRAIN FREE dog food is better for (any) dog even one that is not grain sensitive.

Would you feed a dog that can tollerate grain in dog food a grain free food and do you think it will have any negative impact on him on the long run

My dogs are always OFA Good (Hips) and both Lola and Cole (who now have a litter) are both Hips OFA Excellent and I would like to continue my tradition of producing good to excellent hips..

Question would LACK OF GRAIN affect my dogs' health, hip status or anything in your opinion

You obviously know more than I know about food and I admit I do NOT know everything as some here may think I do (I dont) that is why I am interested in finding out from you what your opinion on this topic is .

Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dog owners in the U.S. are very fortunate to be able to get premium quality food SO CHEAP. I would definitely not bother to complain over a $44.00 bag of 30 pounds....I WISH I had your U.S. prices here in Canada. and Ontario is more expensive than in our city.
I feed a Canadian food... I wish I had YOUR prices down here!! While $55 for a 25lb bag isn't outragous, I wish it was less! But Kodi had been doing very well on the GO! Natural Grain Free Endurance so it's worth every penny!!

Oh and Petcurean Pet food has a discount program too... Avaliable only in Canada!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
[QUOTE=CelticKitti;120380]I feed a Canadian food... I wish I had YOUR prices down here!! While $55 for a 25lb bag isn't outragous, I wish it was less! But Kodi had been doing very well on the GO! Natural Grain Free Endurance so it's worth every penny!!

Oh and Petcurean Pet food has a discount program too... Avaliable only in Canada![/QUOTE]

Celtikiti:

No wonder then, our Can. made foods are as expensive in the U.S. as the U.S. made ones are here in Cda. That's logical.

I am just wondering why would you feed a Cda. made food when there are so many wonderful foods made by U.S> companies which you can find as good a quality and more reasonably priced? and what is the Cda. food you feed your dogs?

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
CHocmillie:

Both Acana and Orijen are made by the same company Champion Pet foods.
They have a breeder's program to which I have signed today to get it cheaper meaning when you buy 6 bags anywhere you get 1 for free, so if you purchase 12 you get 14 bags for the price of 12 only which is not bad.

Fromm requires you to purchase 12 bags to be able to get 1 for free

Ok now that you have explained that I am SAFE with feeding my 9-10 mos. old pup Acana with a ratio of 1.4% protein, my next question is:
You see I am drilling you.. LOLOL:)

Do you believe that GRAIN FREE dog food is better for (any) dog even one that is not grain sensitive.

Would you feed a dog that can tollerate grain in dog food a grain free food and do you think it will have any negative impact on him on the long run

My dogs are always OFA Good (Hips) and both Lola and Cole (who now have a litter) are both Hips OFA Excellent and I would like to continue my tradition of producing good to excellent hips..

Question would LACK OF GRAIN affect my dogs' health, hip status or anything in your opinion

You obviously know more than I know about food and I admit I do NOT know everything as some here may think I do (I dont) that is why I am interested in finding out from you what your opinion on this topic is .

Thanks
Oh, Whitepoodles, I really know less about kibble than your realize, LOL! I just have focused a lot of time looking into the calcium/phosphorus thing. For some reason it grabbed my attention and I have looked into it.

I honestly have been wondering the same thing about grain free vs. grains included! Theoretically, it does make sense that grain-free is superior to grains included b/c it more closely mimics what dogs are meant to eat. However, if your dog tolerates grains just fine I personally don't think it is harmful to feed a high quality, natural food with grains.

I doubt I know any more than you about grain free - but I am part of an online dog food forum and the best I can do is tell you other peoples' opinions! This is also the opinion of the holistic veterinarian Henry has been to once. Many believe: Raw meat or home cooked is the best you can feed your dog. This is not always practical, and the next best is a high quality grain free food. Then, next in line would be high quality food with grains. And then of course there are the lower quality foods.

But personally, even though many people are adamant that grain free is the best, I can't help but think that if your dog does well on food with grains, it won't be harmful!

I would like to learn more! I need to become best friends with a dog nutritionist and best friends with a breeder (to watch a litter be whelped) and then I will be so enlighened :D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I would like to learn more! I need to become best friends with a dog nutritionist and best friends with a breeder (to watch a litter be whelped) and then I will be so enlighened :D[/QUOTE]
Chocmillie:

You know more than you think.. Yes I do know my dog food however never really paid attention to the calc. and phosophorous ratios.. I just only paid attention to the protein and fat..

So I will feed them Acana it is a good food , costs less is grain free, and my dogs do tollerate grain so since I already cook legumes, brown rice, minced beef and grund fresh veggies and put 3 TBSP fulls twice a day into their food they do in a way get their grains, just not from the kibble but my homecooked food. So I am basically doing ok.

I will make sure to have my friend videotape the entire whelping process of my 2011 litter and will send you the video.. it will be like you were here. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts