Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have fed Sam Canidea for quite awhile. Well, yesterday I went to the feed store where we get it and the owner told me he is phasing it out because he has had alot of people bringing it back lately because of problems like loose stools and itching. Apparently they have changed their formula for the 3rd time and they have also changed manufacturing plants to the Diamond plants, possibly to start mass marketing to places like Petsmart and Walmart. They have also upped their prices. We have no choice but to change foods because no one else in the area carries it. The owner of the store says he did lots of research and found that the original scientist who formulated the Canidea food (not sure how true this is) has stopped working for them and has developed his own better brand. It's called NutriLife. It's an all stages food like Canidea, it comes in a plain white feed type bag with a label attached with the ingredients list, to keep costs down. It seems great, it is a holistic food with extra ingredients like glucosamine and Lactobacillus acidophilus, what's bugging me is that I can't find anything about it online. Anyone else ever hear of it? I picked up a bag and will start working it into the 20lbs of Canidea that we have left. So I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh geez....Canidae why are they doing that? I wonder how much sales they'll end up losing because of all the angry customers.

Do you have the ingredients of the new food somewhere? I couldn't find anything either. Maybe it is just new or only available to such a small area, that it isn't well known yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, i tried to peel the label off so I could scan it, but I couldn't get it off. It's a 40lb bag so lugging it to my office was not an option, :) The first 3 are duck, turkey, and chicken if I remember right. No corn, wheat, or soy. The only info I could find online was that it is made in Huntley, IL. And the owners name is Jim Kearns, and there is a Kearns Feed store in Huntley.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just heard about that yesterday. We went to a dog food store specializing in healthy foods and the owner told us that a lot of his customers brought theirs back so he looked into it. He said Canidae switched plants. We just bought a bag of Fromm Surf and Turf and are trying it out. They gave me a bag of samples which Max found while we were out. He ate all of it!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just heard about that yesterday. We went to a dog food store specializing in healthy foods and the owner told us that a lot of his customers brought theirs back so he looked into it. He said Canidae switched plants. We just bought a bag of Fromm Surf and Turf and are trying it out. They gave me a bag of samples which Max found while we were out. He ate all of it!
Well at least you know he likes it! :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah, I was planning to ease him into it and thoroughly expected some yucky poos in the yard but he's fine! I like Orijen and Evo but since they are so high in protein I'm going to blend it with Fromms until he's older.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I heard the same about the Canidae from other boards. (Lots of stool problems with the new formula)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts