Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a new wet food as a topper and I think it's possibly making Jessie's eyes itchy. I noticed her pawing at her face yesterday evening, and this morning her eyes have some discharge. First trial of the new topper was a taste yesterday at lunch (just to see if she'd eat it at all) and then I used a small amount as a topper on her kibble last night and this morning.

Those of you with sensitive poos- how soon would you notice an itchy reaction if there was a disagreeable ingredient?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,253 Posts
It definitely could be an allergy or sensitivity. Reactions can be 30 minutes later to a few days making it tricky.

OTOH there could be another reason - this is how I would handle it. If it continues, I would see the vet in case it's an infection and needs treatment.

1. Stop using the topper and see if the eye problem clears up within a day or two without any other intervention.

2. Keep a list of all the ingredients in that topper - anything in there could be suspect. Cross check it with other foods that you know your dog can tolerate. By ruling out ingredients that your dog tolerates, you can narrow down what you need to avoid.

3. if the eye problem clears up on it's own and you don't discover any other cause.... in a week or two, test the topper again by adding the same amount to the food. If you find the itchy eyes and discharge occurs again this is very suspect for allergy or irritant.

Check for redness in and around the ear canals, watch for licking anywhere on the body (usually they lick feet if they have allergies to pollen/grass) and loose poop - these are other potential signs of allergy or intolerance.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top