Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all you lucky poodle owners! I am considering adding a toy poodle to our family in a few years, and am starting the research now. I think I will probably be looking for a dog to do some sports with (obedience, agility, nosework), travel, and generally just pal around. An adult fits my work schedule best, and I think that is a longer process than locating a puppy. I look forward to learning a ton about poodles, toys, poodles in sports, and everything else. Thank you so much for having so much information for new people!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome! What a great life you will give to a future toy poodle. You are correct that finding an adult can be a challenge, but it does happen (or an older pup that might have been held back for show, but something like bite went off).

I'm not sure of your location, but if you can travel to pick up your pup, look into G8rcreek Poodles in Atlanta--wonderful performance dogs!

G8rcreek Poodles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I absolutely have G8rCreek on my shortlist! Beautiful and athletic dogs! Thank you so much for the warm welcome. So far, I have Saratoga, G8rCreek, Clarion, Janstone, and Cypress as potentials. I am in south east Florida so Clarion would be a flight, but they seem worth it.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
You are wise to get the list started. I spent some time on cypresstoypoodles.com. I thought her CH’s and GRCH’s were gorgeous. Bonus is you can check her out and she’s in FL. Consider asking for a “show fail” instead of an adult with any breeder. No shame in that on the dog, obviously they were the “pick” puppies. Also, potty trained, used to grooming and socialized. Best wishes on your search. Let us know when you have a “Gotcha Day”.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raindrops, do you have any tips for that part of the year? I have curly hair so I can see how poodle coats could be a handful. I was vaguely planning on a shorter cut during the hot months, but is that sufficient?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Raindrops, do you have any tips for that part of the year? I have curly hair so I can see how poodle coats could be a handful. I was vaguely planning on a shorter cut during the hot months, but is that sufficient?
Yep that's what I am planning on doing next summer. Your dog's just going to get wet a lot, and possibly muddy. A force dryer can help to dry/clean them when they are. Though the longer the coat is the more burrs you will have to brush out as well if you are taking them anywhere that isn't frequently mowed. I strongly suggest doing clean feet as well at least during summer because teddy bear feet will constantly be wet (yeast infections!) and they will get burrs between the toes if they are in grass (youch!). I just had to help some people the other day who had a toy poodle in a teddy bear cut that they took to some hiking trails and it got spiky burrs all up in its feet. I always carry a comb for the spiky ones, but as long as the feet are clean they won't catch in the feet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, I will put all the good info in my notes! Those burrs are the worst.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in fl too. If possible, getting a puppy around early October will make housebreaking easier. I got my puppy in May. Just as the rains began. It made taking the puppy out frequently impossible. In my opinion, this has delayed his house breaking some. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts