Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of researchers conducted a meta-analysis of more than 150 studies and determined no link between DCM and grain-free or legume-rich diets. “What the science does make clear is that DCM is largely an inherited disease,” said Dr. Sydney McCauley, an animal nutritionist and the article’s lead author.

They looked at a number of other factors as well, and concluded more research is needed to determine if there’s a link between diet and DCM. If anything, the data suggests that nutritional deficiencies might be a contributing factor which is a reason to switch up what we feed our pets. Variety is the spice of life, but that’s just my humble opinion...

The FDA’s original data from 2018 was incomplete and they were pretty clear that no conclusive results should be drawn from it. However, that didn’t stop the media from fear mongering and many people frantically sought to quickly change their pets’ diets. I’m glad that we now have a more comprehensive study to dispel some of the misinformation. They’re conducting additionally studies to draw more conclusive results, but, for now, we have more evidence to suggest that you shouldn’t worry about legumes in grain-free kibble than we do to avoid them.

Read the study here:

·
Super Moderator
4,382 Posts
Thanks for this. I've been supplementing Peggy's Farmina kibble diet more and more with Honest Kitchen and Weruva wet food. I'm in the habit of calling her picky, but why shouldn't she be? I think she's just smart enough to say no to a diet that's the doggy equivalent of a human eating the same fortified cereal (minus milk) all day, every day.

This update reassures me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts