Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My name is Suzanne and I have been head over heels in love with poodle for forever. I got my own first poodle over 22 years ago, a tiny little rescue girl we named Mia. I was ill at the time and Mia nursed me back to health. At that time, we had other dogs - a Basset Hound, Bonnie; a Chocolate Lab, Yowler; a Dalmation, Arthur; and a little black Lab cross, Midge. Mia was ALWAYS the boss. When Mia was 6, we went to lunch next door to a PetLand where our little Max was waiting for us. I don't believe in pet stores selling dogs and cats, but Max had been in there since the day that store opened - Poodle #37, 3 and a half months of living standing on that grate. I had to save him. He was my very expensive lunch. A couple more years down the road and we got Caroline, a puppy mill breeder who had been rescued at 6 years old. Caroline was a bit odd. She was returned 3 times to the rescue because they said she couldn't bond, but she and I bonded very well!

Fast forward a few more years and I'm doing rescue, saving lives, and Lexi comes along. She is a standard with short legs, I swear it! She weighs in at 35 pounds and has the body of a Moyen or small Standard, but then her legs are so short! We HAD to adopt her. That was in 2013. Mia is getting very old by this time. We lost her at the age of 18. It was like having our hearts ripped out. BUT as long as I have room in my house and heart, I will continue saving lives. Next was Bonk - you can find his page on Facebook "The Adventures of Bonk the Amazing." He was this ball of mats and dirt that would not look up at me when I rattled the kennel door at the shelter and not even when I patted the floor in front of him. I lifted his chin and he was blind on top of being deaf. I took him to the shelter's vet and was told he had "malabsorption" and would not get better. That I should just put him down. Who am I to listen to that drivel anyway? Another rescue friend brought me some antibiotics and, between she and I, we got him well. I fostered him for almost two years and he was named Bonk because that's what he did, bonked into everything. Then my cousin came to visit and that's the first person he ever let cuddle him, so I let her adopt him for $10. She turned around and did a $500 dental on him the next week. Bonk lived another year before peacefully being helped over the Rainbow Bridge because he had COPD so bad.

In 2017 I took in Willow. Willow was a long legged miniature who acted like a pup, but was actually very old. She had mats so bad on her feet that I doubted she had touched earth with the pads for at least a year. She also had Cirrhosis. I had recently lost my mom to dementia and was having a terrible time getting over the grief. Willow helped me heal so much. She was my velcro dog. I had her a little over a year before she got really sick one day. Her liver had given out and it was time to say goodbye. I was so very heartbroken to see her go. Next came Zoey. She was this little, little girl I got from the shelter. She had been bred so much she was blown out. She was ancient. One eye was blind, her head tilted to one side and her tongue hung out of her mouth from her teeth being so bad. Her teeth were the worst teeth my VCA vet had ever seen. I spent $1500 for a dental and to fix two nasal canulas and then another $175 to adopt her from my rescue. She was so much fun! Talk about someone who wanted to kill squeaky toys! If she heard the squeaky out in the yard and she was in the house, she would charge from where ever she was and out the dog door to go kill it! 2018 was a terrible year. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and began treatment. Caroline was 13 and her body was just giving out, so I had to say goodbye. Zoey had a stroke and went completely blind and the world was so frightening to her that we made the decision to let her go. Then my Max, my little heart that walked around on 4 feet, went into congestive heart failure and could not get enough oxygen from the ambient air. They said I could keep him alive another 3 months for $3500. I didn't think that was fair to him and I had to say goodbye to him too.

During all of that, above, I got given a retired guide dog when I went to adopt out a doxiepoo. He was 8 at the time and is 13 now. Three years ago, our new neighbor's (then) dogs pulled his head through the fence and ripped his throat out. Barkley was such a fighter that he was able to hang on long enough for the surgeon to rebuild a throat of sorts. He now lives with a permanent stoma but eats and drinks normally. He IS the boss of me. About 3 months after getting him, I finally was allowed to adopt Noah, the dog I had been working over a year to be allowed to adopt. He is an ice white Standard Poodle. We still have Lexi. During the time above, I took in a domestic violence dog, Riley. He is a miniature ice white. He does not want to own other dogs (not aggressive, just weird) and wishes he could make them disappear. Last year, someone advertised a doxiepoo for $25 on Craigslist and I was all about that. Her name is Bailey and she's 2 years old now. And finally, my new baby is Brienne. I drove 1500 miles round trip to go get her. She is a 4 month old Brindle Standard Poodle pup that I just adore.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Aw! What a wonderful heart you have. Welcome. :)

I lost my little poodle mix last summer. It's still so hard to talk or write or even think about her...but I do it every day to keep her alive. Some old photos of her here: Instagram.com/doxiepoo

Thank you for the reminder that our hearts have room for so many dogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,905 Posts
Welcome to Poodle Forum, Suzanne! You have such a kind heart to take in these little lost souls. I love the photo of you and Lexi, both of you wearing green and her sporting cool matching eye glasses and a scarf; it's a hoot. And poor little Bonk. His before photo is just heart-breaking and I'm glad he and all the others are getting the attention they needed. So look around and make yourself at home.

Vita

·
Registered
13 Posts
What an incredible, but heartbreaking, story. It’s so inspiring that you’ve given these amazing dogs a second chance at life.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
What beautiful family you have and such a wonderful generous heart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts