Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I just said over in our coronavirus thread I regard my mask (same with BF) as the new normal. BF stopped a a long running nice car show at a train stain yesterday evening. He wore his face covering, but said few other people were doing so. He did say no one included physical contact in greetings or conversations though. It is mandatory on Long Island and the rest of New York to keep faces covered in public, so I don't know what people are thinking.

I also in doing some puttering around my house today realized we are eating better, more cheaply and together more often since this all happened. We often just picked up take out on our way home from our respective workplaces.

I also have made some environmentally for the better changes around my ongoing habits and needs too. When paper goods were in absentia from Costco and supermarkets I bought long reuse style bamboo paper towels on Amazon. They are really durable and I have been using them mostly for drying hands and dishes also for cleaning small spills they are easy to rinse out and dry for reuse again and again. I still have paper towels for things like cleaning poop off dog butts. Peeves ate some stringy grass and had a poop hanging off his butt this evening, not washing and reusing a bamboo towel for that. However I will be continuing bamboo towel use for good.

There are other things I've changed up but that was the first thing that came to mind just now. How about you all. What new habits have you adopted that will be sticking around?

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
  1. Getting the bulk of our produce, beef, and pork in the form of shares from local farms. This has dramatically reduced our trips to grocery stores and saved us a lot of money even though we're actually eating better.
  2. Just generally shopping less. It used to be a default activity to alleviate boredom—popping out for a "treat" or browsing for stuff I don't need. I'm happy to have broken that habit.
  3. Checking in more with neighbours, via text or email or even just shouting across the street or speaking through the fence. I'm such an introvert, I used to avoid most day-to-day encounters. Now I see how important they are, and (if I'm being completely honest) can enjoy them more now that my personal boundaries are protected by social distancing.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I refuse to be around people who are not wearing masks indoors or social distancing. Even watching people on TV who aren’t makes me uncomfortable. Until we have an effective vaccine, this is the only way, along with keeping our hands clean to keep safe. Catherine, I would have left that car show. I realize your BF loves cars and it was fun for him to be at a car show.

I used to shop for entertainment, now it’s just to buy groceries once a week. Doing anything outside the home is complicated and tiring keep myself and my husband safe. My favorite activity is to walk in my neighborhood because I can walk without a mask, plenty of room to distance even when talking to neighbors. It’s simple and reminds me of the good old times that were just a few months ago.

I’m taking a few classes and teaching only where everyone wears a mask the whole time. Some dog classes are allowing people to run their dogs in agility without a mask if they are the only one in the ring. I don’t feel comfortable with that, not inside. will admit it’s difficult and uncomfortable to wear a mask whi running agility, but it’s more difficult and uncomfortable if I get Covid-19.

Unfortunately we’re stress eating junk. DH is starting a new company and these are not ideal circumstances.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Well I have cut down shopping at the grocery. I really stock up on the good and healthy things so . Avoid unnecessary trips. Used to love going for a drive, Playing with the Toyota but can't really go these days with the covid.
There are for sure for others drop in on the thread - the shopping thing drives me nutso, but reap the rew the benefits,so this one qualifies me I guess.
Stay home Stay Safe Stay sane

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
I'm not riding my horses at all this summer. I don't want to take the chance of getting launched and ending up in the ER.

I'm working from home now. Sometimes I'm eating lunch in meetings due to back to back calls. I and some of my colleagues have noticed our schedules are getting filled with video meetings. I think what's happening is that, with everyone working at home, we are scheduling half hour conference calls instead of just having a five minute impromptu chat at someone's desk.

Working from home has changed my spending habits. I've put gas in my car maybe 4 times since February. I'm being much more casual about my clothing, which means I'm not buying to keep up with fashion. I wear a t-shirt under a flannel shirt instead of the blouse and blazer I would have worn in the office. Now that warm weather has arrived I'm wearing basketball shorts instead of slacks most days. I have done no brick and mortar clothes shopping this year, and I've bought maybe two items online. I no longer go out for lunch.

Before Covid I did about 85% of my pet supply shopping in brick and mortar shops. It was split between a mom & pop farm supply store (where I could also get fresh eggs and gardening supplies,) a small local chain, and the big box stores. I've switched to 100% online. The farm store wasn't requiring their staff to wear masks, so I'm not giving them any further business this year. The little chain was having stocking issues in February and early March, the last time I went. It was frustrating to leave with five cans of cat food when I'd intended to buy two cases. I've set up a delivery with Chewy so I can stop stressing about whether stores will have stuff in stock.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Definitely masks as a habit. I am so chronically I'll already I cannot afford to have long term damage from covid. Also owning hand sanitizer. Before this I think I owned a single 2 year old bottle bought for outhouses while camping still mostly full. Now I have it in my purse, my dog bag, etc, and a cleansing routine before entering the car.

I am also spending a lot less than usual. I currently dont own any jeans but cant force myself to go try any on in a store. I would need new dress pants for work, and summer tops, but, working from home means no need. I did order more leggings and tshirts online. Once a week shopping, but usually mom goes, that's about it. Now dog classes, but that's in an open covered type arena with 5 people so low risk. I still wear a mask.

My vegetable garden is enormous this year, fearing food price rises and shortages. I have only bought one perennial flower this year, and planted barely any annual flower seeds (a 3' row of zinnias). If it were a normal year, I would be buying flowers and bushes but they arent even really available this year. And where usually I focus on fun stuff this year there are A LOT of potatoes and other storage crops. I am planning on dehydrating and canning most of the excess instead of feeding the neighbors and family as much as I did last year. I think I am at about 2000+ sq ft of garden all together, about half of which is new this year.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I’m enjoying my garden and started running a little bit along with my usual walks. I miss yoga though. I implemented a no in person meeting rule at work which is saving all kinds of money since even just I personally would have been out of town for 6 or 7 conferences by now this year. My husband and I built a greenhouse which I love and he’s just finishing a new front deck. As an introvert, I’m enjoying many things about the new normal, but sadly I can’t say I’m saving money! Too many fun interests and Amazon is back to normal delivery now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
  1. Getting the bulk of our produce, beef, and pork in the form of shares from local farms. This has dramatically reduced our trips to grocery stores and saved us a lot of money even though we're actually eating better.
  2. Just generally shopping less. It used to be a default activity to alleviate boredom—popping out for a "treat" or browsing for stuff I don't need. I'm happy to have broken that habit.
  3. Checking in more with neighbours, via text or email or even just shouting across the street or speaking through the fence. I'm such an introvert, I used to avoid most day-to-day encounters. Now I see how important they are, and (if I'm being completely honest) can enjoy them more now that my personal boundaries are protected by social distancing.
PTP, is it okay if you could either here or PM me about those farm shares please?

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
PTP, is it okay if you could either here or PM me about those farm shares please?
The farm where we get our produce is sold out of shares for 2020. Do a google search for farm "CSA" near you. Maybe there's something available.

The price and process will vary, but we paid in advance for weekly boxes of produce from June - November. We pick them up directly from the farm, but they also deliver locally and to Seattle.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The farm where we get our produce is sold out of shares for 2020. Do a google search for farm "CSA" near you. Maybe there's something available.

The price and process will vary, but we paid in advance for weekly boxes of produce from June - November. We pick them up directly from the farm, but they also deliver locally and to Seattle.
Okay, thank you!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
For the past 20 years or so I've done Yoga in classes, retreats, and at home. COVID ended that. No classes and I just couldn't make myself focus and relax enough to continue my home practice. So no Yoga since March.

This week I restarted my home practice. And my neck and shoulders are grateful.

I can do this. breathe

·
Registered
917 Posts
Reviving my veggie garden, which has been neglected the 4 years I’ve been training and trialing my spoo. With the gym closed, I’ve been biking—not super energetically, but it’s something. I relied on work for social contact before stay-at-home orders (and it was TOO MUCH). With telework, now I’m reaching out to friends . . lunch in the park, social distanced happy hour, neighborhood walks, rural dog walks—this afternoon I’m visiting an agility friend who I haven’t seen since February, biking to her home with my canvas chair bungeed to the bike rack. For work, I’m enforcing my hours more firmly since there’s no physical boundary between home and work. Yeah, as nice as it is to be employed, these non-stop video calls are wearing. And then the work still needs to be completed.

Good to hear that PF members are doing their part to slow the virus. Stay safe!

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Skype and Zoom. I have discovered the comfort of sort-of-face-to-face contact with family and friends over long distances, and I think it is something we will continue even when we can start to meet again properly. Perhaps not quite as frequently, but a fixed time once a week when we can chat as a group over coffee or wine for an hour or so and laugh together makes a big difference.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I’ve been reading more books. Really missing our library, it was within biking distance from our house, but I have started on my massive backlog of dog training books, since it’s forced me to look at books I haven’t read already. Other than that... Not much. I’ve been working part-time this whole time, since I was considered essential, so my routine wasn’t messed up too badly.

·
Premium Member
22,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was wondering today if I'll ever go back to wearing makeup. I guess if someone were taking me out to dinner....
Makeup has gone the way of pants and even shirts other than t shirts. Why put on makeup just to mess it up when you have to put your mask on to go in the supermarket. I suppose I should think about mascara since it helps a dog who is far away from you for directed jumping or recalls find a place to focus, but then again compared to the mask you should/would be wearing for trial maybe not...

Reactions: ShamrockPoodle

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Amazon has replaced my Marshall’s obsession, lol.

I’ve started dying my own hair. It looks pretty good and I don’t miss sitting at the hairdresser’s for two hours.

I started baking bread again, it’s really delicious but not particularly the healthiest habit, I do love bread...and pasta.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts